Quick poll amongst "deployers" who hopefully share the same opinion as I do, but are not representative of the usual Webconverger using public

Kai Hendry

Mar 25, 2012, 10:09:17 PM3/25/12
to webc-users
Hi guys,

In order to make way for a potential new locale switcher bar,
http://webconverger.org/i18n/ and for a general chrome cleanup I was
thinking of dropping the search bar, usually found on the top right of
the screen. e.g. http://webconverger.org/chrome/webc.png

Reasons:

1) You can search using the URL bar instead
2) Search boxes have a silly menu to toggle the engines which can be
fiddled with and hence potentially disrupt the next user's session
3) Search boxes for different languages can be poorly maintained and
lead to all sorts of strange experiences:
https://github.com/Webconverger/webc/tree/master/usr/share/iceweasel/distribution/searchplugins/locale

I'm keen to go for the less is more approach and get rid of this box.
Any objections?

Many thanks for your input,

Guttorm Flatabø

Mar 26, 2012, 4:32:55 AM3/26/12
to webc-...@googlegroups.com
I wouldn't mind cutting away the search bar, seems to me most users don't know that there are such a thing as domain names. I wish I could start a search with "site:webconverger.org" though, but that's a minor detail that most users will never be bothered with.

GMF

Mar 26, 2012, 1:56:10 PM3/26/12
to webc-...@googlegroups.com
For me there should be no problem with dropping the search bar.

GMF

Kai Hendry

Mar 26, 2012, 8:28:11 PM3/26/12
to webc-...@googlegroups.com
On 27 March 2012 01:56, GMF <g...@bitchcop.de> wrote:
> For me there should be no problem with dropping the search bar.

Great it's going.
https://github.com/Webconverger/iceweasel-webconverger/commit/8df049e26226763b46c03eef9767555085d0fa19