Config boot option

Guttorm Flatabø

Apr 15, 2012, 5:47:02 PM4/15/12
to Webconverger forum
I just tried to configure Webconverger the old fashioned way, and since the 'homepage' boot option now is overridden by the configuration service I figured I should turn off the removed the 'config' option to use my own options.

However, removing 'config' resulted in the startup hanging...

I also tried the latest build from today, and it didn't start because it couldn't find some essential file, I guess you know by now...

I suppose you've been concentrating on making the configuration service working, but I'm hoping you'll find some time to make sure Webconverger can boot without the config option as well :)

--
Guttorm

jjcra...@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2012, 1:03:32 PM4/16/12
to webc-...@googlegroups.com
I'm getting the same problem.  I can't use the configuration service, because these devices are in a secure environment, used to take credit card transactions, and can only interface with an internal webpage.

A option that would be nice is a paid service, where we build our own discs from the repositories, and not use the config service.

Kai Hendry

Apr 16, 2012, 9:38:25 PM4/16/12
to webc-...@googlegroups.com
2012/4/16 Guttorm Flatabø <po...@guttormflatabo.com>:

> I just tried to configure Webconverger the old fashioned way, and since the
> 'homepage' boot option now is overridden by the configuration service I
> figured I should turn off the removed the 'config' option to use my own
> options.

On a subscribed and configured machine, the cmdline retrieved and
saved does trump the one specified the one on the boot command line:
https://github.com/Webconverger/webc/blob/master/etc/webc/webc.conf#L20

> However, removing 'config' resulted in the startup hanging...

That "config" option related to
http://live.debian.net/devel/live-config/ not our service.

> I also tried the latest build from today, and it didn't start because it
> couldn't find some essential file, I guess you know by now...

No.. please try be a little specific by mentioning the revision hash
and giving extra info like the file name.

> I suppose you've been concentrating on making the configuration service
> working, but I'm hoping you'll find some time to make sure Webconverger can
> boot without the config option as well :)

It does work without the configuration service. I guess you are
looking for an option to disable it entirely. We will do that.

Kai Hendry

Apr 16, 2012, 9:49:15 PM4/16/12
to webc-...@googlegroups.com
On 17 April 2012 01:03, <jjcra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm getting the same problem.  I can't use the configuration service,
> because these devices are in a secure environment, used to take credit card
> transactions, and can only interface with an internal webpage.

Taking credit card transactions whilst have communicated with a
(trusted) third party does not make the transaction process insecure.
Other operating system communicates with their update / usage service
whilst making secure transactions. Browsers communicate to a service
for safe browsing whilst doing secure transactions. My bank uses a
third party Web stats service whilst I pay my bills.

> A option that would be nice is a paid service, where we build our own discs
> from the repositories, and not use the config service.

If we re-introduce the "one-off" service how do you have propose we
keep people uptodate and secure?

It's more insecure for people to "deploy & forget" on hopelessly old
versions of Webconverger which has unfortunately happened for the most
part. It gives Webconverger a bad name and you a bad name. Now we have
known vulnerable machines in the field with no way of getting people
to update. We want to provide a system ultimately that gives you and
your users a PC which is uptodate and secure for browsing. Security is
ongoing not one off.

Kind regards,

Guttorm Flatabø

Apr 17, 2012, 5:21:31 AM4/17/12
to webc-...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 3:38 AM, Kai Hendry <hen...@webconverger.com> wrote:
On a subscribed and configured machine, the cmdline retrieved and
saved does trump the one specified the one on the boot command line:
https://github.com/Webconverger/webc/blob/master/etc/webc/webc.conf#L20

Which is certainly how it should be. I thought the "sign up for subscription page" would  also trump "homepage=" set manually on boot. It seems I was mistaken, though, sorry for the confusion...

> However, removing 'config' resulted in the startup hanging...

That "config" option related to
http://live.debian.net/devel/live-config/ not our service.

Ouch, my bad... Just seemed such fitting boot option for your configuration service.

> I also tried the latest build from today, and it didn't start because it
> couldn't find some essential file, I guess you know by now...

No.. please try be a little specific by mentioning the revision hash
and giving extra info like the file name.

Didn't have time, just seemed so thoroughly broken I supposed you'd know about it.

> I suppose you've been concentrating on making the configuration service
> working, but I'm hoping you'll find some time to make sure Webconverger can
> boot without the config option as well :)

It does work without the configuration service. I guess you are
looking for an option to disable it entirely. We will do that.

You are right, as I wrote above, I must have been mistaken. An option to disable the configuration/subscription service entirely would probably be good though.

--
Guttorm