Install users take note: Upgrading (git) optimisation & kernel upgrade to 3.10

Kai Hendry

Dec 10, 2013, 4:28:20 AM12/10/13
to webc-users
Hi all, and especially anyone new! http://ping.webconverger.org/ <--
shows HUGE growth last month

With thanks to Matthijs Kooijman's work which has also went into git
1.8.5, we now only use a more bandwidth efficient depth=1 style fetch.

https://github.com/Webconverger/webc/commit/3ec19e1b2acbfb4aa3fe24b1ddb14647b7420994
https://kernel.googlesource.com/pub/scm/git/git/+/238504b014230d0bc244fb0de84990863fcddd59%5E2
https://github.com/git/git/blob/master/Documentation/RelNotes/1.8.5.txt#L353

This work was actually done last July, but we could only deploy until
GitHub supported it too. :-) Github servers switched to 1.8.5 sometime
last week.

I've tested various upgrade scenarios and it all checked out. So
please let me know if you noticed something awry.
http://webconverger.org/debug/

And I hope the new kernel gives you joy. I think people with nvidia
cards might have an issue. Though I am risking that that number is
very small. I don't have nvidia hardware available to develop with.
I'm personally using an Intel NUC, X220 and Virtualbox for testing.
For nvidia users you can use the Live version 22 if you have problems.

Otherwise I'm pretty excited by these recent developments. :)

Kind regards,