Wake On Lan

Maleki

May 23, 2012, 2:41:32 AM5/23/12
to webc-...@googlegroups.com
Is there any built in support for wake on lan?  I see you can set a cronjob to shutdown a system but I didn't see any packages installed for wake on lan.

Arian

Phillip Smith

May 23, 2012, 2:46:09 AM5/23/12
to webc-...@googlegroups.com
On 23 May 2012 16:41, Maleki <ahma...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is there any built in support for wake on lan?  I see you can set a cronjob to shutdown a system but I didn't see any packages installed for wake on lan.

Wake-on-LAN is a function of the motherboard / NIC.... It has nothing to do with the Operating System.

Or am I not understanding your query properly?

Maleki

May 23, 2012, 3:10:26 AM5/23/12
to webc-...@googlegroups.com
My understanding from what I have read is that it is a combination of hardware and software.  Linux requires a package called ethertool.

Arian

Phillip Smith

May 23, 2012, 3:11:14 AM5/23/12
to webc-...@googlegroups.com
On 23 May 2012 17:10, Maleki <ahma...@gmail.com> wrote:
My understanding from what I have read is that it is a combination of hardware and software.  Linux requires a package called ethertool.

That is to send the WoL packets to the computers that you want to wake up... You want to wake up other computers from a WC host?

Kai Hendry

May 23, 2012, 1:10:26 PM5/23/12
to webc-...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

We just had a little internal discussion and we will aim to support
this in the release after the one I hope to make on Friday.

Any additional helpful comments should go on
https://github.com/Webconverger/webc/issues/40

Many thanks,

Kai Hendry

Jul 23, 2012, 2:03:35 PM7/23/12
to webc-...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys,

If you could please test http://build.webconverger.org/latest.iso for
Wake-on-LAN support via the MagicPacket method, it would be great.

Relevant bit that activates it:
https://github.com/Webconverger/webc/blob/master/etc/network/interfaces#L9

Many thanks,

Kai Hendry

Jul 31, 2012, 11:09:05 AM7/31/12
to webc-...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

You might be interested in a recent blog I did about my experiences
with Wake-on-LAN:
http://webconverger.org/blog/entry/Wake-on-LAN/

Be great to get your comments here!