web2py 1.99.3 is OUT

Massimo Di Pierro

Dec 9, 2011, 11:40:37 AM12/9/11
to web2py-users
Make no mistakes. This is not a minor revision. This is in preparation
for 2.0.

We could not call it 1.100 because it would break the old automatic
upgrade mechanism (1 comes before 9, yikes).

There are a huge number of bugs fixes and many improvements.

The most important change is that the new welcome is very mobile
friendly, it uses the skeleton flexible grid and detects mobile to
render the menu as a dropdown and optionally compress all your css/js.

The SQLFORM.grid is also very much improved.

Markin now can do things like

{{=MARKMIN('qr:http://web2py.com')}}
{{=MARKMIN('embed:http://www.youtube.com/embed/x1w8hKTJ2Co')

and it automatically embeds audio and video players if you just
include a link in the text. If you have not used markmin, you should.

There is an experimental MongoDB support.

The new web site layout needs work but we put it out there hoping for
more feedback.

We ditched Launchpad and moved to GitHub and Googlecode (mirrored).
Issue tracking is still on Googlecode but we plan to move to Github.

The book is also coming out very soon. The book will described 1.99.3

Thanks to all those who contributes in particular Anthony, Jonathan,
Mariano, Ross, Angelo, Niphold, Bruno, Dave, Mark. Too may people have
contributed small patches and they are too many to mention. I
apologize.

Please test it and report bugs.
As soon as we have a mobile support in admin we will rename this 2.0.

Massimo

Ivica Kralj

Dec 9, 2011, 11:49:00 AM12/9/11
to web...@googlegroups.com
Cool :)
Thank you

Bruno Rocha

Dec 9, 2011, 12:04:06 PM12/9/11
to web...@googlegroups.com
what does {{=MARKMIN('qr:http://web2py.com')}} ??

António Ramos

Dec 9, 2011, 12:04:45 PM12/9/11
to web...@googlegroups.com
BUG!
I have windows 7
the app wizard does not show any plugin but if i select check all it replies "23 selected"
If i select uncheck all , nothing happens. Still 23 selected!!!!

This was also a bug in previous versions

Anthony

Dec 9, 2011, 12:36:16 PM12/9/11
to web...@googlegroups.com
If I recall, the problem is with the display of the options in the select widget -- they're all shifted over to the right, so you can't see them in the widget.

Massimo Di Pierro

Dec 9, 2011, 12:47:42 PM12/9/11
to web2py-users
This is a CSS issue. Can you help us fix it?

On Dec 9, 11:04 am, António Ramos <ramstei...@gmail.com> wrote:
> BUG!
> I have windows 7

> the app wizard does not show any plugin but if i select *check all* it

> replies "23 selected"
> If i select uncheck all , nothing happens. Still 23 selected!!!!
>
> This was also a bug in previous versions
>

> 2011/12/9 Ivica Kralj <ivicakr...@gmail.com>
>

> > Cool :)
> > Thank you

Massimo Di Pierro

Dec 9, 2011, 12:48:00 PM12/9/11
to web2py-users
It includes a link to the QR code for the url.

Vasile Ermicioi

Dec 9, 2011, 1:01:36 PM12/9/11
to web...@googlegroups.com
also web2py.com website changed,
I like old menu better than new one

Bruno Rocha

Dec 9, 2011, 1:26:28 PM12/9/11
to web...@googlegroups.com

I miss a "click here for regular website" to bypass mobile detection.

http://zerp.ly/rochacbruno

Massimo Di Pierro

Dec 9, 2011, 1:48:39 PM12/9/11
to web2py-users
You are not the only one.

If anybody whats to work on improving it (perhaps merging the old and
new one) I'd be happy. Thins I like about the new one:
-uses skeleton (like welcome)
- shares lots of structure and files with welcome
- menu is generated from text, not an image

Massimo

Paolo Caruccio

Dec 9, 2011, 4:52:49 PM12/9/11
to web...@googlegroups.com
I solved so:

admin\static\plugin_multiselect\jquery.multiselect.css
line 14 becomes
.ui-multiselect-checkboxes { position:relative /* fixes bug in IE6/7 */; overflow-y:scroll; margin-left:0; width:100%; }
line 16 becomes
.ui-multiselect-checkboxes label input { position:relative; top:1px; right:2px; }

admin\static\plugin_multiselect\jquery.multiselect.js
on line 21 replace toggleChecked func with
toggleChecked:function(b,c,d){(d&&d.length?d:k.find("input")).not(":disabled").attr("checked",c);r()}})

nick name

Dec 9, 2011, 5:18:32 PM12/9/11
to web...@googlegroups.com
I just pulled git and hg and there's a small difference (that was also already there a few days ago):

 Only in web2py.hg/applications/examples/static/js: modernizr-1.6.min.js
 Only in web2py.hg/applications: __init__.py
 Only in web2py.hg/applications/welcome/models: db.py.orig
 Only in web2py.git/applications/welcome/static/css: anytime.css
 Only in web2py.git/applications/welcome/static/js: anytime.js
 Only in web2py.git: .git
 Only in web2py.hg: .hg
 Only in web2py.hg: .hgignore
 Only in web2py.hg: .hgtags

Last 4 lines are fine, first 5 lines are probably unintended differences

greenpoise

Dec 9, 2011, 5:52:36 PM12/9/11
to web2py-users
Safest way to update from 1.99.2? last time I did an update through
the interface and it didnt go through.

Thanks

dan

Massimo Di Pierro

Dec 9, 2011, 9:38:18 PM12/9/11
to web2py-users
I think I fixed it. Can you check it?

Joseph Jude

Dec 9, 2011, 11:55:10 PM12/9/11
to web...@googlegroups.com
Congrats to everyone. If people are still using 1.99.2 (or older version), is there a place of reference for those versions? At last the n - 1 (n = latest version)?

BTW, I like to new layout

Rgds,
Joseph

Anthony

Dec 10, 2011, 12:01:01 AM12/10/11
to web...@googlegroups.com

LightDot

Dec 10, 2011, 12:34:17 PM12/10/11
to web...@googlegroups.com

I'm browsing trough the new web page a bit and I can report a glitch:

div class "sixteen columns announce" gets thrown to the right, so I get a horizontal scroll bar even on a 1920px wide screen. Tested on linux, Firefox 8 and Opera 11.60 (screenshot attached).

Chromium 15 shows this div centered and no horizontal scroll bars, I guess displaying as intended.

web2py_horizontalscroll_firefox_linux.jpg

Daniel Aguayo Catalán

Dec 10, 2011, 2:08:55 PM12/10/11
to web...@googlegroups.com
LightDot escribió:
I can confirm this.

Simon Lukell

Dec 10, 2011, 6:54:44 PM12/10/11
to web2py-users

> We could not call it 1.100 because it would break the old automatic
> upgrade mechanism (1 comes before 9, yikes).

Why not make the upgrade from old version a two-step process? Or is
this too high a price to pay for being absolutely clear that the API
not been broken?

I know bumping major versions is all the rage, but isn't backward
compatibility one of the strongest selling points of web2py?

Stefan Scholl

Dec 10, 2011, 7:02:24 PM12/10/11
to web...@googlegroups.com
Massimo Di Pierro <massimo....@gmail.com> wrote:
> The new web site layout needs work but we put it out there hoping for
> more feedback.

The announcement "2011 BOSSIE AWARD FOR OPEN SOURCE DEVELOPMENT
SOFTWARE" is cut off and too far on the right in Firefox 9.0 Beta
on Mac OS X 10.6.

Haven't found a good solution, but if you add a <br clear="all" />
before the announce DIV, the text is centered again.

Massimo Di Pierro

Dec 10, 2011, 10:30:20 PM12/10/11
to web2py-users
Can you emailed me the fixed layout.html?

Stefan Scholl

Dec 11, 2011, 4:55:22 AM12/11/11
to web...@googlegroups.com
This was just a on the fly test in Firebug. And it doesn't feel
right to insert some random BR in there.

Oh, how I hate floats. You can't do without them and then
something random happens ...

rock...@googlemail.com

Dec 11, 2011, 6:11:14 AM12/11/11
to web...@googlegroups.com
The new home page looks very nice.

Means this web2py is leaving ez-css und mercurial behind?
I am just asking because of my introductory book to web development featuring web2py
and don't wanna present obsolete solutions.

Massimo Di Pierro

Dec 11, 2011, 10:40:24 AM12/11/11
to web2py-users
we abandoned ez-css.

we are not abandoning mercurial. Just replacing bzr with git.

On Dec 11, 5:11 am, "ma...@rockiger.com" <rocki...@googlemail.com>

Jim Gregory

Dec 11, 2011, 1:11:15 PM12/11/11
to web2py-users
Changing the "announce" class specification on line 13 in examples.css
from :

.announce { position:absolute;align:center;color:white;top:120px;font-
weight:bold;text-align:center;}

to:
.announce {clear:both;color:white;top:120px;font-weight:bold;text-
align:center;}

takes care of the problem for me.

-Jim

Massimo Di Pierro

Dec 11, 2011, 3:58:00 PM12/11/11
to web2py-users
Does this work?

.announce { clear:both;position:absolute;align:center;color:white;top:

120px;font-weight:bold;text-align:center;}

your proposed chance breaks it for me with chrome.

Anthony

Richard Vézina

Dec 12, 2011, 4:34:48 PM12/12/11
to web...@googlegroups.com
Web2py leitmotiv should be :

Web2py : always further...

:)

Richard

Jim Karsten

Dec 12, 2011, 8:21:42 PM12/12/11
to web...@googlegroups.com
SQLFORM.factory hidden fields are not working the same in 1.99.3 as in 1.99.2. Here is a simple example
form = SQLFORM.factory(
Field('text_field'),
Field('hidden_field', type='hidden', default='test'),)

The hidden field is not hidden. Here is the html produced. The first is from 1.99.2, the second 1.99.3.

<input id="no_table_hidden_field" class="hidden" type="text" value="test" name="hidden_field" style="display: none;">
<input id="no_table_hidden_field" class="string" type="text" value="test" name="hidden_field">

If I use readable=False, writable=False, the field is hidden from the display but then no input is created for it. I have javascript code accessing the hidden input value. I can probably work around the problem using this syntax.

form = SQLFORM.factory(
Field('text_field'),
hidden={'hidden_field': 'test'})

However, the input produced has no id or class attribute which I was using.

<input value="test" name="hidden_field" type="hidden">

Is what I'm seeing a bug or was the Field(... type='hidden'...) syntax never intended to work?

Anthony

Dec 12, 2011, 8:45:27 PM12/12/11
to web...@googlegroups.com
I'm guessing that was never supposed to work. I think the 'type' argument to Field() is only supposed to take one of the DAL's pre-defined types. In the past this worked because without specifying a widget or one of the recognized field types, the field was given the string widget by default, and the string widget previously didn't assign a specific class, so just adopted the field's 'type' as the class. In 1.99.3, the string widget explicitly assigns a class="string", so now ignores the field's 'type'.

If you want to add hidden fields, you're supposed to do so via the 'hidden' argument -- see the end of this section: http://web2py.com/book/default/chapter/07#SQLFORM

Anthony

Jim Karsten

Dec 13, 2011, 9:56:27 AM12/13/11
to web...@googlegroups.com
Ok, sounds good. I'll convert the code to use hidden argument explained in Chapter 7. Thanks for the explanation, Anthony.