Add Handle support in VIVO?

ylchen

Sep 17, 2018, 3:34:54 PM9/17/18
to VIVO Tech

Hello,

I hope VIVO sprint had a good start today!

I saw Andrew graciously put JIRA ticket - “VIVO-1560 - Add handle support in VIVO” in the VIVO Development IG meeting agenda tomorrow.

About this ticket, what I want to know and hear from the VIVO community is that whether the community thinks to add a Handle in the VIVO fitting to the community interests?

At Virginia Tech Libraries, we can customize VIVO and display the Handle link from Symplectic Elements in our VIVO system. We also know Duke’s https://scholars.duke.edu customized to display handle links. We are not sure if others also have this need. If so, I am happy to dive into this ticket and make handle is one of the supported identifier in VIVO.

Please kindly let us know what you think. Thank you!

Regards,
Yinlin

Triggs, Graham

Sep 18, 2018, 1:58:03 AM9/18/18
to vivo...@googlegroups.com

Hi YinLin,

Clearly, there needs to be support for storing all sorts of identifiers that are relevant to an object in VIVO.

In general, I would caution against handling them based on what their implementation is though – what is usually more important is the semantics of what they represent.

Something like an ISSN / ISBN is very ingrained in identifying a journal series, or book title. But what does a handle represent? It’s a system of persistent identifiers that can be applied to anything that someone believes they have a need for it.

So, the handle can point to a full text document in your repository. You could have half a dozen handles for other repositories that it has been stored in. It could apply to a dataset that was used, etc.

If you have a handle – or multiple handles – stored against an entity in VIVO, how do you know what any of them are resolving to? Do we end up conflating different versions (draft, post peer-review, etc.) and not being able to distinguish between them?

Imo, these issues should be framed as “I want to store a persistent identifier of a post peer-review draft (or canonical version) in my / a repository, of which that identifier might be a handle”, rather than “I want to store handles, of which one might be the persistent identifier of a full text in my repository”.