translations in russian

Georgy Litvinov

Jun 25, 2018, 5:08:07 AM6/25/18
to VIVO Tech
Hi all!
I am going to translate vivo into russian. Is anybody already doing it?

Regards,
Georgy

Walther, Tatiana

Jun 25, 2018, 5:13:19 AM6/25/18
to vivo...@googlegroups.com

Hi Georgy!

We are working on translating VIVO into German, but as my native language is Russian, I would very much like to assist! It’s great to hear, that someone in Russia is also going to apply VIVO!

Kind regards,

Tatiana

Georgy Litvinov

Jun 25, 2018, 6:19:08 AM6/25/18
to VIVO Tech
Hi Tatiana!
Great, thanks!

Kitio Fofack

Jun 25, 2018, 7:12:28 AM6/25/18
to vivo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Georgy

We are working on translating VIVO in Canadian French but more over we are working to make it fully(content and interfaces) internationalized.
We actually went from translating to work on internationalization(i18n) support cause we saw some limits in the current code at that level.
The i18n effort spans over translation but also software development.

Is this something you might be interested in participating ?

Regards

Georgy Litvinov

Jun 25, 2018, 7:42:30 AM6/25/18
to VIVO Tech
Hi Kitio,
That's really interesting. In what stage is this process now?
How to praticipate?

Hauschke, Christian

Jun 25, 2018, 7:51:10 AM6/25/18
to vivo...@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

I join the discussion (from Germany, like Tatiana). We are discussing these issues in a slack channel.

You can join the VIVO slack community here: https://bitly.com/vivo-slack

Then you can join the channel #i18n, where you will find Kitio, Tatiana, me, and others, who are interested in fostering the multiple language support of VIVO.

Best,

Christian

Tiewei Liu

Jun 26, 2018, 3:34:26 PM6/26/18
to vivo...@googlegroups.com
Great effort! I would be interested in translating vivo into Chinese if no one else has done it.

~Lucy

Tiewei (Lucy) Liu
IR and Metadata Librarian
Henry Madden Library
California State University, Fresno
5200 N. Barton Ave., M/S ML34
Fresno, California 93740-8014
Tel: 559.278.1073
Fax: 559.278.7877

Fresno State Digital Repository https://repository.library.fresnostate.edu/
A pre-print is the original version of the manuscript as it is submitted to a journal. The pre-print has not been through a process of peer review.
A post-print is a document that has been through the peer review process and incorporated reviewers comments. It is the final version of the paper before it is sent off to the journal for publication. It can't be formatted to look like the journal.

Gross, Benjamin (IP&Science)

Jun 26, 2018, 5:53:01 PM6/26/18
to vivo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lucy,
Mandarin language files were submitted a couple years ago but never reviewed. There have been changes to the language requirements for VIVO since then, so it would need updated, but here's a good starting point: https://github.com/vivo-project/VIVO-languages/tree/add_zh-CH/vivo-1.6/zh_CN

Benjamin

J. Dornbusch

Jun 26, 2018, 11:34:00 PM6/26/18
to VIVO Tech
Hi,

We are building an instance of vivo in French. We don't only have the problem of internationalization files : we've enabled the language switcher at the top of the page and we would like people to be able to edit their texts in 2 languages (French and English) as I explained here : https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/vivo-tech/AaitDJw8bvk
Do some of you have the same goal ?

Regard
Joachim

Le mardi 26 juin 2018 23:53:01 UTC+2, Gross, Benjamin (IP&Science) a écrit :
Hi Lucy,
Mandarin language files were submitted a couple years ago but never reviewed. There have been changes to the language requirements for VIVO since then, so it would need updated, but here's a good starting point: https://github.com/vivo-project/VIVO-languages/tree/add_zh-CH/vivo-1.6/zh_CN

Benjamin

_____________________________
Benjamin Gross
Science and Academic Research | Clarivate Analytics

On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 2:08 AM, Georgy Litvinov <larg...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all!
I am going to translate vivo into russian. Is anybody already doing it?

Regards,
Georgy

Hauschke, Christian

Jun 27, 2018, 3:01:43 AM6/27/18
to vivo...@googlegroups.com

Hi Joachim,

yes, we share the same goal, and at least together with the Canadian community (who already did some work on the French translation at https://github.com/VIVO-CA). We are currently discussing a roadmap to a better multiple language support in Slack (you can register via http://bitly.com/vivo-slack) in the #i18n channel.

It was discussed shortly at the developer’s call yesterday, too. You can see the notes here: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/VIVO/2018-06-26+-+VIVO+Development+IG (last topic).

It makes absolutely sense to discuss requirements and specifications together. On the ontological side everything is pretty clear. Even the presentation should be relatively straightforward:  Show the label of the currently chosen language, if available. If not, show what’s there – maybe in a configurable order.

The GUI for entering labels in different languages could be a bit tricky. I can imagine several solutions. The one chosen by OJS is not bad, but maybe there are better options. It’s essential to build something that is not confusing to end users.

Best,

Christian

Jun 27, 2018, 7:29:20 AM6/27/18
to vivo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joachim,

I'm Kitio Fofack from UQAM working precisely on having a multilingual VIVO (French included).
Actually the issue you are pointing is what we call internationalization. (i18n)

My primary goal was to have VIVO in french. But after investigating the code through a proof of concept I understood it would be better to just work together with the community on i18n.

This is the work you will do in finding every piece of english text in the application in order to replace it by french is more than 50% of the work to be done on i18n. At the end of the day you will be only few institutions having that language flavor and keeping the burden of maintaining it.

On the other hand, if we formulate our need in therm of i18n then we are many institutions having the same issue. If we put all our efforts together we will end up with an improvement of the VIVO standard supported by the community and we will spend each of us less resources compared to the other approach.

I encourage you (and all autobots out there) to join us on the slack( http://bitly.com/vivo-slack) channel #i18n and on the i18n task force we are about to resurrect.

Your inputs are warmly welcome.

Kitio Fofack, PMP
CEO ARETEX S.E.N.C.