Next meetup: May 28th - Call for proposals

Drew Neil

May 1, 2013, 11:50:28 AM5/1/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com
Our next meetup will take place at Forward on May 28th. Save the date!

There's nothing on the agenda yet, so all suggestions are welcome. If you have an idea for a theme, or a topic that you'd like to present about, then let us know here.

Cheers,
Drew
:x

Drew Neil

May 3, 2013, 6:37:49 AM5/3/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com
Would any JavaScripters like to prepare a presentation on the Vim Tern plugin for our next meetup?:

In case you haven't heard of it, Tern is a smart JavaScript analysis engine written by Marijn Haverbeke (author of the wonderful book http://eloquentjavascript.net/). Marijn recently crowdfunded the development of Tern through an IndieGogo campaign, which produced plugins for Vim, Emacs, and Sublime:

Drew
:x

Drew Neil

May 3, 2013, 9:13:44 AM5/3/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com
Just throwing some ideas around here. Possible themes for future meetups:

* Text objects
* Vim + tmux
* Quickfix

Does anyone feel inspired to put together a presentation on either of those themes?

Drew Neil

May 3, 2013, 9:17:01 AM5/3/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com
I've been working on a little project, codename: Vimprint. It's a parser for Vim keystrokes. I've not got much to show for it at the moment, but if I was to give myself a deadline then it might reach completion a bit quicker. So how about I do a Vimprint show and tell at the next Vim London meetup?

Drew

Drew Neil

May 10, 2013, 2:58:33 AM5/10/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com
I'm still looking for volunteers to present something at our next Vim London meetup, on May 28th. Has anyone got something they'd like to demonstrate?

Drew

Dave Aitken

May 10, 2013, 4:53:08 PM5/10/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com
I was thinking about a beginner level talk - things that can be done without leaving insert mode that people may not know about (sacrilege?):
- simple stuff like ^w ^u that also work on bash (in 'emacs' mode) and might help people out
- ^o for a single command
- completion (tag, word, omni)
- register dump with ^r and the expression register
- and of course a bit of a mention about how not leaving insert mode is bad (possibly start with this as a big caveat :-))

Not sure how much could be got out of the subject matter though by vim's very nature, so it might have to be a fairly short talk. Other suggestions for big things that would fit into the topic and might extend it a bit be much appreciated though. Also not sure how it would fit into a theme for a set of talks for a particular night?

Drew Neil

May 13, 2013, 4:22:57 AM5/13/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com
Dave,

I like it! Can I put your name down for a talk at our May meetup?

Drew

Drew Neil

May 13, 2013, 4:30:30 AM5/13/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com
We've got two great talks lined up for the May meetup:

* Things you can do in Insert mode, by Dave Aitken (confirmation pending...)
* The tern plugin for Vim, by Alex Young

There's no theme this time around, so anything goes. Let me know if there's anything (anything!) you'd like to talk about at our May meetup.

Drew

Dave Aitken

May 13, 2013, 7:10:15 AM5/13/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com
Yep, sounds good.

Drew Neil

May 13, 2013, 7:56:58 AM5/13/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com
Cool, thanks Dave!

I've updated the listing on Meetup.com and opened up RSVPs for the event:

Drew

Kris Jenkins

May 17, 2013, 7:30:14 AM5/17/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com
Hey Drew,

I'm sure you don't want to hear me two months in a row, but I'm happy to do something on Vim-ProjectLocal, syntax-in-syntax highlighting (https://github.com/krisajenkins/vim-java-sql) or the black, black art of make's errorformats...

You can consider those to be standing offers, if you like. :-)

Cheers,
Kris

Drew Neil

May 17, 2013, 7:47:39 AM5/17/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com
You're always welcome to speak at VimLondon Kris! I'd like to save up the make/errorformat talk for a quickfix-themed meetup at a later date. As for your other two suggestions: how long would you need for each topic? We've definitely got room for another talk at this month's meetup.

Drew

Kris Jenkins

May 17, 2013, 12:42:13 PM5/17/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com
Hmm...those two are both lightning talks, I think. Say 5-ish minutes.

I can ruminate over the weekend for something a bit more substantial, if you like...

Kris

Drew Neil

May 17, 2013, 1:03:15 PM5/17/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com
Kris,
A lightning talk would be fine.

Drew Neil

May 21, 2013, 5:55:44 AM5/21/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com
Kris,

What do you think about speaking at next week's meetup? A lightning talk would be great, but there's room in the schedule for something longer if you want.

Drew

Kris Jenkins

May 21, 2013, 4:53:37 PM5/21/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com
Hey Drew,

I'm up for doing it, but I still need to negotiate a release from parenting duties. I'll confirm as soon as I can. :-}

Kris

Drew Neil

May 23, 2013, 9:24:58 AM5/23/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com
Ping! Any updates Kris?

Anyone else got something they'd like to share at next week's Vim London?

Kris Jenkins

May 23, 2013, 10:52:28 AM5/23/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com
Hey Drew,

Sorry, but I'm not going to be able to make it this time. Family ties win out this time. :-}

Kris

Drew Neil

May 23, 2013, 11:07:10 AM5/23/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com
No worries Kris.

Drew Neil

May 24, 2013, 10:40:24 AM5/24/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com
Ok folks, since the schedule's a bit sparse this month, I'm going to step up and present something on Vimprint, my Vim keystroke parsing project. I don't have a lot to show at the moment, but I'll aim to put what I've got on Github by Tuesday.

There's still room for another lightning talk (or two) if anyone wants to show off something cool.

Drew