Proposals for our April meetup

Drew Neil

Mar 27, 2013, 7:17:49 AM3/27/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com
I'm sorry that I couldn't make it along to the March meetup last night. It sounds like it went well!

I've been making enquiries about booking a larger venue for our April meetup. I've got a couple of leads, and I hope to pin something down shortly. Until then, I can say that our next meetup will either be on the 29th or 30th of April. Watch out for an announcement soon.

How about we pick a theme for our next meetup? Here are a couple of ideas that were suggested in previous discussions:

Navigating a codebase - topics could include fuzzy file matchers (cmd-T and ctrl-p), configuring the `path` setting and using the :find command, navigating between alternate files (using :A and :R), getting around with ctags, and anything else that you think would fit.

Organizing your workspace - topics could include buffers, windows, tabs, the arglist, sessions, and anything else that you think would fit.

Let us know if you'd like to present a talk on any of these topics, or if you have another idea for a theme.

Cheers,
Drew

Drew Neil

Mar 27, 2013, 1:44:14 PM3/27/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com
Our April meetup will take place at Forward, on the last Tuesday of the month. Here's the listing on meetup:

That's April 30th - put the date in your diary. I'll open up RSVPs in a couple of weeks, once the program has been decided.

Until then, I look forward to your proposals!

Cheers,
Drew

Drew Neil

Apr 1, 2013, 5:13:20 AM4/1/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com
Rails.vim has just gone 5.0, adding support for "projections". From the help:

> The bulk of rails.vim features support core Rails conventions and a just a
> handful of popular additions (such as RSpec).  Projections let you teach
> rails.vim about app specific and gem specific behavior.
https://github.com/tpope/vim-rails/blob/8e3415dcf553a6eb630f333b3d99374a5eaf9a57/doc/rails.txt#L738-L831

It's exciting stuff! Rails.vim has been customisable for a while, but the old syntax was less declarative:

Would anybody like to take up the challenge of swatting up on rails.vim projections and teaching us about it at the next Vim London meetup? It would fit nicely with one of our suggested themes: navigating a codebase.

Cheers,
Drew

Drew Neil

Apr 1, 2013, 5:14:16 AM4/1/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com
I meant to include a link in my last message for the rails.vim 5.0 release notes:

Claudio Ortolina

Apr 3, 2013, 9:33:41 AM4/3/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com
I'm going to take a look at them this WE, if no one else is taking care of this I can confirm eventually on monday :-)

Drew Neil

Apr 3, 2013, 11:29:04 AM4/3/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 2:33 PM, Claudio Ortolina <cla...@new-bamboo.co.uk> wrote:
I'm going to take a look at them this WE, if no one else is taking care of this I can confirm eventually on monday :-)

Thanks Claudio - and good luck!

Claudio Ortolina

Apr 5, 2013, 4:51:03 AM4/5/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com
Spent already some time on it and I can surely prepare a "big gist" for a fairly complicated Rails project and walk people through it. Spoiler alert: projections are awesome.

Drew Neil

Apr 5, 2013, 5:06:52 AM4/5/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com
Claudio, how long will you need to do the topic justice? I'm looking forward to hearing you talk about rails projections.

Now that we've got one talk billed, I'm thinking we should shoot for the "Navigating a codebase" theme. Would anyone like to speak about any of the following topics?

* fuzzy file matchers (cmd-T and ctrl-p)
* configuring the `path` setting and using the :find command
* navigating between alternate files (using :A and :R)
* getting around with ctags

These are just a few ideas to get you started. If you come up with another topic that you think would fit then let us know!

Drew

Claudio Ortolina

Apr 5, 2013, 10:05:48 AM4/5/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com
I don't think it's a long talk, probably 20 mins is fine.

Drew Neil

Apr 8, 2013, 8:05:49 AM4/8/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com
Claudio - are you ready to confirm if you're able to speak about rails projections at our April meetup?

Does anybody else want to pick up one of the other topics? Or have you had any ideas of your own? Let's hear about it!

Drew
:x

Claudio Ortolina

Apr 9, 2013, 11:02:49 AM4/9/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com
I can confirm, sorry, I thought that was settled from the previous email :-)

Drew Neil

Apr 9, 2013, 1:18:42 PM4/9/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 4:02 PM, Claudio Ortolina <cla...@new-bamboo.co.uk> wrote:
I can confirm, sorry, I thought that was settled from the previous email :-)

Now you mention it, that was pretty clear. Sorry for the noise! I've added your talk to the event listing:

Any other volunteers for speaking?

Drew

Claudio Ortolina

Apr 12, 2013, 3:57:40 AM4/12/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com
If no one's up I can expand:

- rails general navigation
- ctags setup and automation
- ctrlp and some tips about it
- extract/refactor

How does this sound?

Drew Neil

Apr 12, 2013, 4:10:00 AM4/12/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the offer Claudio! I've had a couple of proposals off-list, so the program isn't as bare as it looks. Can I get back to you on that next week?

Claudio Ortolina

Apr 12, 2013, 7:01:33 AM4/12/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com
Np :-)