September meetup - what shall we do?

Drew Neil

Aug 28, 2013, 7:15:46 AM8/28/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

Pencil the 24th of September into your diary - that's the date planned for our next meetup. I'll confirm when we've booked the space at Forward.

So, what shall we do? The last two sessions have been hands-on, but I'd like to return to the usual format of talks for our September meetup. Kris Jenkins recently suggested we do a few language specific talks: Vim essentials for Ruby, Python, Javascript, etc. Would anyone like to volunteer to speak about using Vim with a particular language? To make this work I'd like to get 3 volunteers, each speaking for 15-20 minutes.

I'm open to other suggestions too. If there's anything Vim-related that you'd like to speak about, let us know!

Drew
:x

Drew Neil

Sep 2, 2013, 7:31:48 AM9/2/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com
Quick update: Forward can't host us on September 24th, or any night that week. I'm looking for an alternative venue, but we might have to deviate from the usual "last Tuesday of the month" slot.

Drew Neil

Sep 2, 2013, 7:57:11 AM9/2/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com
Our September meetup will take place at Forward on October 1st:

Any questions?

Matt Southerden

Sep 3, 2013, 4:42:59 AM9/3/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com
Drew.

I'm happy to talk a bit more about some Ruby stuff. However I'm aware that there were a few comments about the tmux night in relation to it being too Ruby focussed (which admittedly was odd, but hey) Maybe it would be good to get some other languages on the list first.

Matt.

Drew Neil

Sep 3, 2013, 5:09:19 AM9/3/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for volunteering Matt. I'm not surprised that Ruby is well represented at Vim London, since there's so much good stuff for rubyists using Vim. That's largely thanks to tpope! When I'm writing Ruby in Vim, I feel a bit spoilt. When I'm writing JavaScript, not so much.

If we do a meetup around language specific topics, I hope that we can all learn something from each other. For example, if someone were to demonstrate Vim's sweet omni-completion support for PHP, the Pythonistas and Rubyists might be inspired to go and find (or write) similar functionality for their choice of language.

So who's up for speaking about Python, PHP, or Javascript? Or any language! If you've figured out some cool Vim feature that only works for one particular language, then I'd love to hear about it. No matter which language that is.

Cheers,
Drew

Drew Neil

Sep 9, 2013, 7:15:07 AM9/9/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com
I'm still looking for volunteers to speak at our September meetup. Anyone want to step up?

Drew

Claudio Ortolina

Sep 9, 2013, 9:54:18 AM9/9/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com
I'll give it a thought, I don't have anything ready now but I'll think about it.

Drew Neil

Sep 12, 2013, 10:00:24 AM9/12/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com
I'm still looking for volunteers to speak at our September meetup.

I've got a couple of ideas for things to talk about at this months meetup. I'm a rubyist, so I could talk about some cool Vim+Ruby things, but I'd rather let Matt or Claudio do that. I also wondered about doing something more generic, expanding on some of the ideas I collected in this old gist:

There's a lot of stuff that can go into a plugin, so I thought it would be interesting to break that up into categories. In particular, looking at what would be required to add Vim support for a brand new programming language. This could include (in rough order of priority): filetype detection, syntax definition, indentation awareness (to support = command), omni-completion, folding support, errorformat, auto-configuration of `path`. (Did I miss anything?)

Would people like to hear me talk about that?

Drew
:x

Jon Ruano

Sep 14, 2013, 3:19:21 AM9/14/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com

This project-based talk sounds great. I'm sure it's a subject people will look for and watch later on.

Jon

Claudio Ortolina

Sep 15, 2013, 4:54:49 AM9/15/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com
Great idea.

The path in particular is interesting, I can think of two possible scenarios I've been pondering about lately (worthy of a plugin).

- Require.js and module resolution, so that you can `gf` on a require/define call (see here for details: http://requirejs.org/)
- Extended support for Mix for elixir lang, starting from this: https://github.com/elixir-lang/vim-elixir. This would include reading a Mix file and setting the path to read dependencies and jump to the relevant files, à la Bundle.vim.

To do all of this, the primer you proposed is spot on.

Drew Neil

Sep 16, 2013, 11:55:25 AM9/16/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com
Claudio, it would be awesome if you could get `gf` working on those types of projects! I wasn't planning on going into the 'path' option in the level of detail that would show you *how* to do that. I was more thinking of showing *why* you would want to do that. Bundler.vim is a great example of a plugin that auto-configures the 'path' on a per-project basis. Would you like to say something about bundler.vim at this month's meetup?

I had to sit on this news last week, but now the cat's out the bag. I've done a series of 3 screencasts for thoughtbot about Navigating Ruby Files with Vim. You can get it here: https://learn.thoughtbot.com/products/21-navigating-ruby-files-with-vim

If I was to talk about Vim for Ruby at this month's meetup, I'd be giving a cut down version of what's in those videos. That would be easy for me to do, but as I mentioned before, I'd rather let someone else cover that topic.

Drew

Oliver Caldwell

Sep 17, 2013, 10:48:49 AM9/17/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com
I actually have gf working on a project that works kind of like RequireJS, it basically works with any project structure or file inclusion style.

Adding to path will let gf search in more places, but adding values to suffixesadd allows you to open files without an explicit extension. So I have this for my JavaScript setup which allows me to jump to files using all sorts of references.

" Add more files to the path.
set path+=src/**,../foo/src/**

" Make gf jump look with an extra .js
set suffixesadd+=.js

Now if I have a symbol called MyEpicClass, I can use that to open MyEpicClass.js. It doesn't even have to be in a string, it can just be floating in the document somewhere.

Just in case anyone didn't already know about suffixesadd!

Oliver.

Drew Neil

Sep 18, 2013, 12:29:44 PM9/18/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com
You can now RSVP for our September meetup: http://www.meetup.com/Vim-London/events/137918452/

We've got two speakers lined up so far, Kris Jenkins and I. There's still room for more talks.

Oliver, would you like to do a 5 minute lightning talk on the `suffixesadd` setting?

Claudio, would you like to do something on bundler.vim?

Matt, what did you have in mind for a talk about ruby?

Drew

Oliver Caldwell

Sep 18, 2013, 12:42:06 PM9/18/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com
I guess I could do a quick run through with the suffixesadd and path variables. I'd probably just demo it in Vim if that's all right?

Oliver.

Drew Neil

Sep 18, 2013, 12:43:06 PM9/18/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com
Oliver, good man! Shall I put you down for 5 minutes?
Drew

Oliver Caldwell

Sep 18, 2013, 12:48:31 PM9/18/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, sure. I'll try and pad it out a bit with some extra ideas, I'll be finished quite a bit before otherwise; It's not exactly a very deep feature.

Drew Neil

Sep 18, 2013, 12:55:34 PM9/18/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Oliver. I've added your session to the listing on meetup, and also on Lanyrd: http://lanyrd.com/2013/vim-londonmeetup/schedule/

Lanyrd is a wiki, so please feel free to change the title and add a description. I'll copy the details over to Meetup the day before the event.

Drew

Drew Neil

Sep 25, 2013, 5:27:05 AM9/25/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com
Just want to check if anyone else feels like stepping up to speak at our meetup next Tuesday? There's plenty room in the program for another talk or two.

Drew

Jason Imison

Sep 30, 2013, 11:01:04 AM9/30/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com
Are you still short of speakers? I wasn't planning on coming down tomorrow, but I could talk about OmniSharp (https://github.com/nosami/Omnisharp), my vim plugin for C#. I won't have time to prepare anything, but I could always do a quick demo and Q+A

Drew Neil

Sep 30, 2013, 11:18:15 AM9/30/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com
Jason,

It would be great if you could demo your C# omni-completion plugin! Yes, we have room in the program. Shall I put you down for a 10 minute speaking slot?

Cheers,
Drew

Jason Imison

Sep 30, 2013, 11:33:34 AM9/30/13