On the state of VimClojure

Meikel Brandmeyer

Jan 1, 2013, 8:51:24 AM1/1/13
to vimcl...@googlegroups.com

Tim Pope

Jan 1, 2013, 1:29:43 PM1/1/13
to vimcl...@googlegroups.com
I just wanted to say thanks for all the work you've put into this. I (obviously) had some different ideas about how the dynamic stuff should work, but the static portion is solid, and I don't say that very often.

There's no reason to feel bad about falling a bit behind on maintenance. Having been on both sides, I can assure you, a sprint is much easier than a marathon.

I hope you'll continue to stay involved.

Wolodja Wentland

Jan 1, 2013, 4:49:32 PM1/1/13
to vimcl...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jan 01, 2013 at 14:51 +0100, Meikel Brandmeyer wrote:
> That all said I still have some ideas on Clojure tooling I want to
> experiment with. So I will continue to work on the interactive part of
> VimClojure, but things will probably move in a much slower pace
> compared to the other projects.
>
> Meikel
>
> [1]: https://github.com/tpope/vim-foreplay
> [2]: https://github.com/guns/vim-clojure-static

Thanks Meikel for all your work and creating a pleasant work environment for
vim. My understanding of this mail is that you encourage users to switch to
the aforementioned tools in lieu of the "old" vimclojure. I'll convert in the
next days and will let you know how that worked out.

I would very much like this mailing list to stay active for everything
vim+clojure as I very much enjoy having a single place for information about
my development environment. What do you guys think?
--
Wolodja <bab...@gmail.com>

4096R/CAF14EFC
081C B7CD FF04 2BA9 94EA 36B2 8B7F 7D30 CAF1 4EFC
signature.asc

Meikel Brandmeyer

Jan 1, 2013, 5:06:35 PM1/1/13
to vimcl...@googlegroups.com

Sung Pae

Jan 1, 2013, 7:09:17 PM1/1/13
to vimcl...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jan 01, 2013 at 02:51:24PM +0100, Meikel Brandmeyer wrote:

> So as things stand I'm more a hindrance at the moment than a driver.

I think I speak for everyone on this list when I say that this is an
uncharitable statement!

If it wasn't for VimClojure I may have been forced to make the switch to
Emacs in order to enjoy the interactive development that characterizes
Lisp development. Your work saved me from the pain and toil of that
experience, so I am very grateful. Thank you.

> You should follow the two mentioned projects for fast development in
> Clojure tooling for Vim.
>
> [2]: https://github.com/guns/vim-clojure-static

I am planning on submitting Meikel's syntax and indent files to the
Vim development list for inclusion into the Vim source tree. If
accepted, users curious about Clojure will have support built into
their installation, instead of having to find and install these files
manually.

If anyone has any suggestions or bug reports regarding syntax or
indentation, I would greatly appreciate feedback at the above URL so we
can submit a solid version to vim-dev.

Cheers,
Sung Pae

Dave Ray

Jan 1, 2013, 8:11:35 PM1/1/13
to vimcl...@googlegroups.com
First off, thanks Meikel for vimclojure. I've been using it
consistently and happily for the last two years. I'm sad, but not
entirely surprised by your announcement. Open source maintenance is a
tough, often thankless, job, especially after you've finished all the
"fun" parts.

I'd like to second Wolodja's suggestion that this list remain a
central resource for all things vim+clojure related whether it's
vimclojure, foreplay, whatever. I don't think there's enough traffic
for the mix to be the problem and if Clojure support in vim becomes
fragmented and more confusing it would be sad.

I'm giving foreplay a try. Assuming this list remains the right place
(I'm kind of looking from a nod from Tim Pope here), I'll post my
questions and concerns separately.

Cheers and long live vimclojure,

Dave

Tim Pope

Jan 1, 2013, 8:41:48 PM1/1/13
to vimcl...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good. I don't do mailing lists so well so feel to reach out to me on GitHub or by email if something needs my attention.

Wilson MacGyver

Jan 2, 2013, 1:23:54 AM1/2/13
to vimcl...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much for everything you have done on vimclojure.
I still benefit from it everyday. :)

Paul Gearon

Jan 2, 2013, 10:45:41 AM1/2/13
to vimcl...@googlegroups.com
On Tuesday, 1 January 2013 19:09:17 UTC-5, guns wrote:
On Tue, Jan 01, 2013 at 02:51:24PM +0100, Meikel Brandmeyer wrote:

> So as things stand I'm more a hindrance at the moment than a driver.

I think I speak for everyone on this list when I say that this is an
uncharitable statement!

If it wasn't for VimClojure I may have been forced to make the switch to
Emacs in order to enjoy the interactive development that characterizes
Lisp development. Your work saved me from the pain and toil of that
experience, so I am very grateful. Thank you.

Precisely.

We may only write to describe the problems we have, and I know from experience that can be dispiriting. However, we wouldn't be writing at all if we weren't using and benefitting from the software.

I don't use Emacs myself, as I'm not in an office with others using it, and that seems to be how most people make good headway learning it. I also have several friends abandon Emacs due to carpal tunnel, so I've never really wanted to learn it anyway.  :-)  So VimClojure made my life significantly easier, and I appreciate all the time and effort you put into it Meikel.

> You should follow the two mentioned projects for fast development in
> Clojure tooling for Vim.
>
> [2]: https://github.com/guns/vim-clojure-static

I am planning on submitting Meikel's syntax and indent files to the
Vim development list for inclusion into the Vim source tree. If
accepted, users curious about Clojure will have support built into
their installation, instead of having to find and install these files
manually.

If anyone has any suggestions or bug reports regarding syntax or
indentation, I would greatly appreciate feedback at the above URL so we
can submit a solid version to vim-dev.

Will do. I enjoy Clojure on Vim too much to stop now!

Paul