Where do I place fonts?

Eric Weir

Feb 25, 2012, 9:12:21 AM2/25/12
to vim_mac

I have the MacTeX Live TeX distribution. I would like to install the TeX Gyre fonts. Where should I put them?

Thanks,
Eric Weir

"Uncertainty is an uncomfortable position,
but certainty is an absurd one."

- Voltaire

retiredff

Feb 25, 2012, 4:16:12 PM2/25/12
to vim...@vim.org
On my Mac, any new fonts I put here:

~/Library/Fonts/

Tony

Eric Weir

Feb 26, 2012, 11:19:15 AM2/26/12
to vim...@googlegroups.com, vim...@vim.org

On Feb 25, 2012, at 4:16 PM, retiredff wrote:

> On my Mac, any new fonts I put here:
>
> ~/Library/Fonts/

I guess I should be more specific. I'm told the gyre fonts are 'open type fonts.' Is this where I should put that that type of font?

I'm guessing it is, since the only other font folder in ~/library is /font collections, and given what's in that folder it doesn't look like they should go there.

Thanks,
Eric Weir
eew...@bellsouth.net
Decatur, GA USA

"Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it.
Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. "

- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Axel Kielhorn

Feb 26, 2012, 11:30:43 AM2/26/12
to vim...@googlegroups.com

Am 26.02.2012 um 17:19 schrieb Eric Weir:

> On Feb 25, 2012, at 4:16 PM, retiredff wrote:
>
>> On my Mac, any new fonts I put here:
>>
>> ~/Library/Fonts/
>
> I guess I should be more specific. I'm told the gyre fonts are 'open type fonts.' Is this where I should put that that type of font?

You are using a Mac, right?

Why don't you select all the fonts, right click, open with FontBook.
This will give you some windows, one for each font family and an option to install the fonts.

In FontBook you can choose whether to install on the computer (=for all users) or for the current user.

BTW, you can only use the monospaced fonts with MacVim.

Axel

Eric Weir

Feb 26, 2012, 2:09:29 PM2/26/12
to vim...@googlegroups.com

Thanks, Axel. And thanks especially for mentioning MacVim. Made me realize I posted to the wrong list. The fonts I'm installing are tex/latex utf8 fonts. I meant to post to the tex-mac group. After downloading and unpacking one set of fonts I'm pretty certain that ~/library/fonts is not the place to put them. Looks like they don't go to any one place, but rather to be distributed over several locations.

Thanks again,
Eric Weir
Decatur, GA
eew...@bellsouth.net