Re: Can we have a File Drawer, please?

Andrew Stewart

Jan 16, 2013, 4:19:26 AM1/16/13
to vim...@googlegroups.com

On 15 Jan 2013, at 15:54, Bradford Smith wrote:
> It would be so lovely for MacVim to have a working file drawer.

I disagree: I don't want a working file drawer. Also MacVim is Vim and Vim doesn't have a built-in file drawer so MacVim shouldn't either.

Just my opinion...

Yours,
Andrew Stewart

Niels Kobschätzki

Jan 16, 2013, 4:40:03 AM1/16/13
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On 16.01.2013, at 10:19, Andrew Stewart <bo...@airbladesoftware.com> wrote:

> On 15 Jan 2013, at 15:54, Bradford Smith wrote:
>> It would be so lovely for MacVim to have a working file drawer.
>
> I disagree: I don't want a working file drawer. Also MacVim is Vim and Vim doesn't have a built-in file drawer so MacVim shouldn't either.

MacVim is a GUI-version of vim for better integration into the OS. Therefore a file-drawer would be nice.

> Just my opinion...

And that's just mine…

Niels

Aaron Cruz

Jan 16, 2013, 6:46:06 PM1/16/13
to vim...@googlegroups.com
There is a branch of macvim on github by alloy. I don't know how up to date it is with macvim master (last commit 2 months ago).
Here is a link to some screenshots (and the repo)
https://github.com/alloy/macvim/wiki/Screenshots
bussi,
aaron

On Tuesday, January 15, 2013 3:54:24 PM UTC+1, Bradford Smith wrote:
> It would be so lovely for MacVim to have a working file drawer. I see a fork exists which tries to add this behavior: https://github.com/alloy/macvim. Why not try to merge this into the main MacVim repository?
>
> I already use NERD tree, but it's not quite the same.

Bradford Smith

Jan 17, 2013, 10:29:18 AM1/17/13
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On Wednesday, January 16, 2013 6:46:06 PM UTC-5, Aaron Cruz wrote:
> There is a branch of macvim on github by alloy. I don't know how up to date it is with macvim master (last commit 2 months ago).
> Here is a link to some screenshots (and the repo)
> https://github.com/alloy/macvim/wiki/Screenshots
> bussi,
> aaron

Yeah, I'm looking to see why we can't merge this into the main MacVim repository.

Aaron Cruz

Jan 17, 2013, 10:37:00 AM1/17/13
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Oops. I should have actually read your first post.
Sorry,
aaron

Chris Schneider

Jan 17, 2013, 12:31:53 PM1/17/13
to vim...@googlegroups.com
I disagree with merging any osx-native file drawer into MacVim.  I'm not sure why a plain vim plugin like nerdtree doesn't do exactly what you want?

Beyond that, I don't think adding a bunch of extra code to MacVim is good. I want it to be a fairly thin, error free wrapper that hoists a command line app to be a proper windowed app.

Bradford Smith

Jan 18, 2013, 10:32:51 PM1/18/13
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On Thursday, January 17, 2013 12:31:53 PM UTC-5, Chris Schneider wrote:
> I disagree with merging any osx-native file drawer into MacVim.  I'm not sure why a plain vim plugin like nerdtree doesn't do exactly what you want?

For one, the drawer persists across all buffers and tabs; whereas, if I have nerdtree up and press t, it will open up a new tab, but nerdtree won't be up in that new tab. I can have a script that will always keep nerdtree up, but that's not the desirable behavior.

> Beyond that, I don't think adding a bunch of extra code to MacVim is good. I want it to be a fairly thin, error free wrapper that hoists a command line app to be a proper windowed app.

So why not just use vim in your terminal?

Aaron Cruz

Jan 19, 2013, 5:08:56 AM1/19/13
to vim...@googlegroups.com
> So why not just use vim in your terminal?
The only two reasons I use macvim instead of terminal vim are
a) Consistent colorscheme support
b) System clipboard support

If I had these two things I would love using vim in terminal. Beats having to switch between windows.

Bee

Jan 19, 2013, 8:42:44 AM1/19/13
to vim_mac
Maybe I can help address point b).

On osX 10.4.11 and 10.6.8 I have MacPorts' terminal vim version
7.3.762 and it is compiled with the option: +clipboard

Which means that the system clipboard is supported.

Since I also use vim on Linux and Windows, I have made my .vimrc
portable for different versions of vim, some without +clipboard
support.

if has("clipboard") "?vim6.2 "?tiny7.2
vmap ,y "+y
nmap ,p "+gP
" ^= prepend += append
if has("gui_running") || has("xterm_clipboard")
silent! set clipboard^=unnamedplus
set clipboard^=unnamed
endif
endif

So...
,y in visual mode to copy from vim to another Mac app
,p in normal mode to paste from another Mac app to vim

Using ,p I do not need to know how vim's 'paste' option is set.
:help 'paste'

Bill

björn

Feb 2, 2013, 9:37:19 AM2/2/13
to vim...@googlegroups.com
I don't think this branch is ready to be merged. Since @alloy (and me
as well for that matter) has put a fair bit of work into this let me
try to outline why.

1. Integration: As soon as you have a nice GUI drawer people
immediately want to start mapping keys and customizing it like they
can with the rest of vim. Due to the fact that the drawer code lives
in a separate process from vim this is not possible.

2. Code quality: In order for the drawer to live in the same window
as the text view I had to modify the view code and the stuff that I
wrote has a lot of issues. I'll need to rewrite this code at some
point anyway since there are problems with views not redrawing
properly in the Core Text renderer of the master branch as well. It
is a major undertaking.

3. Fragmentation: Having recently been working exclusively on a Linux
box I am reminded how wonderful it is to have vim behaving the same
across multiple platforms. Introducing new GUI components only for
the Mac version is a dubious proposition that I thought I could
defend, but I am not so sure anymore.

There are more reasons that I can't remember at this point in time,
but I think the above three are enough to explain my standpoint.

Please don't take this as me saying I am opposed to having GUI
drawers. I simply think that if it should be done at all it should be
done right. Due to #1 and #3 I really think that a proper
implementation should be platform agnostic, but this is much harder.

I have for a long time wanted to split MacVim into a view framework
and an actual app. This way I could maintain MacVim as a "pure" gvim
for Mac and anybody wishing to trick it out with drawers etc could
simply reuse the view framework. I even started working on this last
summer but got bitten by the "version 2.0 bug" (tried rewriting from
scratch and ran out of time/energy).

At the moment, if I had the time (I don't), I would like to address #2
and at the same time bring in the smooth trackpad scrolling code that
I demonstrated a while back.

I'll stop there. I think the fact that we have @alloy's drawer branch
is good news for those who wish to have a drawer. Merging it into
master does not seem like such an important step to me. Certainly not
compared with the issues I outlined above.

Björn

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 3:54 PM, Bradford Smith <finge...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It would be so lovely for MacVim to have a working file drawer. I see a fork exists which tries to add this behavior: https://github.com/alloy/macvim. Why not try to merge this into the main MacVim repository?
>
> I already use NERD tree, but it's not quite the same.

Chris Patti

Feb 22, 2013, 5:15:42 PM2/22/13
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bradford;

I don't personally mind NERDTree's current behavior, I always found the TextMate file drawer painful to use because you couldn't easily adjust the font size.

Anyway, this might help.  This plugin allows you to always keep NERDTree open and some other options you might find helpful:

https://github.com/jistr/vim-nerdtree-tabs

Thanks,
-Chris

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 9:54 AM, Bradford Smith <finge...@gmail.com> wrote:
It would be so lovely for MacVim to have a working file drawer.  I see a fork exists which tries to add this behavior:  https://github.com/alloy/macvim.  Why not try to merge this into the main MacVim repository?

I already use NERD tree, but it's not quite the same.

Christopher Patti - Geek At Large | GTalk: cpa...@gmail.com | AIM: chrisfeohpatti | P: (260) 54PATTI
"Technology challenges art, art inspires technology." - John Lasseter, Pixar

Pete Schaffner

May 22, 2013, 8:03:25 AM5/22/13
to vim...@googlegroups.com
> I have for a long time wanted to split MacVim into a view framework
>
> and an actual app. This way I could maintain MacVim as a "pure" gvim
>
> for Mac and anybody wishing to trick it out with drawers etc could
>
> simply reuse the view framework. I even started working on this last
>
> summer but got bitten by the "version 2.0 bug" (tried rewriting from
>
> scratch and ran out of time/energy).

Hi Björn,

Concerning your desire to refactor and create a view framework ... have you ever considered trying to get crowd funding/support to help with the time/energy problem :) Marijn Haverbeke did just this for his [Tern project] (http://ternjs.net) and it seems to be working out quite well! I would love to see this happen, that is the only reason I am inquiring.

Thanks for all your work on MacVim,

-Pete