Issue 357 in vim: Cannot build vim/gvim on Windows 8 with Visual Studio 2015

v...@googlecode.com

May 1, 2015, 11:13:20 AM5/1/15
to vim...@vim.org
Owner: ----
Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium

New issue 357 by sinan.u...@gmail.com: Cannot build vim/gvim on Windows 8
with Visual Studio 2015
https://code.google.com/p/vim/issues/detail?id=357

I have been building gvim/vim from source using Visual Studio 2013 tools
with no problems. Yesterday, I tried to do the same with Visual Studio 2015
RC tools, and for reasons beyond my understanding, the build is failing at
link stage with a failure to resolve standard C library functions.

As far as I can see, there is nothing in Make_mvc.mak that should not work
with the new tools (I manually set MSVCVER=12.0 on the command line before
invoking it).

What steps will reproduce the problem?
1. Open a VS2015 x64 Native Tools Command Prompt
2. set include=%include%;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft
SDKs\Windows\v7.1A\Include for win32.mak
3. set MSVCVER=12.0
4. nmake -f Make_mvc.mak CPU=AMD64 OPTIMIZE=SPACE GETTEXT=no NETBEANS=no
CSCOPE=no DIRECTX=yes GUI=yes

I expect gvim.exe to be created. Instead, I get link errors referring to
standard C functions and others:

winclip.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol memcpy
screen.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol memmove
misc1.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol realloc

etc etc etc

Vim 7.4.712, Windows 8.1 Pro

I also created a question on Stackoverflow for this issue.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/29986585/why-am-i-not-able-to-build-vim-with-visual-studio-2015-rc-command-line-tools

My hope was to figure out what ever needed adding to Make_mvc.mak for this
build, and contribute a patch, but, alas I seem to have hit a wall.

Thank you.

-- Sinan

issue notifications to this address.

v...@googlecode.com

May 1, 2015, 3:59:59 PM5/1/15
to vim...@vim.org

Comment #1 on issue 357 by chrisbr...@googlemail.com: Cannot build vim/gvim
on Windows 8 with Visual Studio 2015
https://code.google.com/p/vim/issues/detail?id=357

Can you check, if this patch works for you?
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/vim_dev/YmhhsZKPHNY/wlOGga8mjdcJ

v...@googlecode.com

May 1, 2015, 4:44:15 PM5/1/15
to vim...@vim.org

Comment #2 on issue 357 by sinan.u...@gmail.com: Cannot build vim/gvim on
Windows 8 with Visual Studio 2015
https://code.google.com/p/vim/issues/detail?id=357

Yes ... That did the trick!

I do not know how I missed that when I was searching. Thank you very much
for pointing me to it.

-- Sinan

v...@googlecode.com

May 4, 2015, 12:59:47 PM5/4/15