Vim 7.4 released!

Bram Moolenaar

Aug 10, 2013, 9:44:43 AM8/10/13
to vim-an...@vim.org, vim...@vim.org, v...@vim.org, vim...@vim.org, vim-mu...@vim.org

Hello Vim users,

Announcing: Vim (Vi IMproved) version 7.4

A small number of problems have been fixed since 7.4b BETA. It's now
tested sufficiently, time for a release!

The biggest additions since 7.3:
- A new, faster regular expression engine.
- More than a thousand fixes and small improvements.

Once you have installed Vim 7.4 you can find details about the changes
since Vim 7.3 with:
:help version-7.4

Gratitude
---------

If you like Vim, please consider helping poor children in the south of
Uganda: http://iccf-holland.org

Where to get it
---------------

For MS-Windows most of you will want the self-installing executable:
ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/gvim74.exe

For Unix/Linux the best way to obtain Vim 7.4 is using Mercurial.
cd vim
hg update
More information here: http://www.vim.org/mercurial.php
The tag for the 7.4 release is v7-4

For Mac you probably want to use MacVim. The 7.4 version should be
available soon: https://code.google.com/p/macvim/

Details and information about which files to download for what system:
http://www.vim.org/download.php

If the main ftp site is slow, a list of mirror sites can be found here:
http://www.vim.org/mirrors.php

The files available for download:

UNIX:
sources + runtime files, bzip2 compressed:
ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unix/vim-7.4.tar.bz2

VARIOUS:
help files converted to HTML:
ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/doc/vim74html.zip

MS-WINDOWS one-size-fits-all:
Self-installing, includes all runtime files, loads libraries dynamically:
ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/gvim74.exe

MS-WINDOWS separate files:
Runtime files:
ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/vim74rt.zip
GUI binary for Windows 95/98/NT/2000/XP/7:
ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/gvim74.zip
GUI binary with OLE support:
ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/gvim74ole.zip
Console version for Windows NT/2000/XP/7:
ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/vim74w32.zip
Sources for PC (with CR-LF):
ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/vim74src.zip

For debugging:
ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/gvim74.pdb
ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/gvim74ole.pdb
ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/vim74w32.pdb

Omitted in this version are:
- The 16-bit DOS, OS/2 and Amiga versions, these are obsolete.
- The 32-bit console version for MS-DOS/Windows 95/98
- The 16 bit MS-Windows version

Mailing lists

Subject specific lists:
Multi-byte issues: http://www.vim.org/maillist.php#vim-multibyte
Macintosh issues: http://www.vim.org/maillist.php#vim-mac

Before you ask a question you should search the archives, someone may
already have given the answer.

Reporting bugs
--------------

Send them to <vim...@vim.org>. Please describe the problem precisely.
All the time spent on answering mail is subtracted from the time that is
spent on improving Vim! Always give a reproducible example and try to
find out which settings or other things influence the appearance of the
bug. Try starting without your own vimrc file: "vim -u NONE". Try
different machines if possible. See ":help bugs" in Vim. Send a patch
if you can!

Happy Vimming!

--
Q: How many legs does a giraffe have?
A: Eight: two in front, two behind, two on the left and two on the right

glts

Aug 10, 2013, 11:21:14 AM8/10/13
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 3:44 PM, Bram Moolenaar <Br...@moolenaar.net> wrote:
> Announcing: Vim (Vi IMproved) version 7.4

Good news, thanks!

By the way, vim.org still has the "Official patches" page which links to
an FTP dir, but I don't see any 7.4 patches there.

Perhaps it would be good to make a note there that Mercurial is now to
be used instead (I believe that is your intention?).

Bram Moolenaar

Aug 10, 2013, 11:50:30 AM8/10/13
to glts, vim...@googlegroups.com
I will keep sending out patches, a few people still prefer that.
But for 7.4 there aren't any patches yet. I'm sure someone will report
a bug soon...

76. Your ISP regards you as a business partner rather than as a customer.

glts

Aug 10, 2013, 12:05:19 PM8/10/13
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 5:50 PM, Bram Moolenaar <Br...@moolenaar.net> wrote:

> glts wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 3:44 PM, Bram Moolenaar <Br...@moolenaar.net> wrote:
>> > Announcing: Vim (Vi IMproved) version 7.4
>>
>> Good news, thanks!
>>
>> By the way, vim.org still has the "Official patches" page which links to
>> an FTP dir, but I don't see any 7.4 patches there.
>>
>> Perhaps it would be good to make a note there that Mercurial is now to
>> be used instead (I believe that is your intention?).
>
> I will keep sending out patches, a few people still prefer that.
> But for 7.4 there aren't any patches yet. I'm sure someone will report
> a bug soon...

Ah, of course, for some reason I had filed the beta patches under "7.4"
in my mind. Never mind then.

afluby

Aug 14, 2013, 3:03:10 AM8/14/13
to vim...@googlegroups.com, vim-an...@vim.org, vim...@vim.org, v...@vim.org, vim-mu...@vim.org