Work on Vim 7.3 has started

Bram Moolenaar

May 15, 2010, 11:23:54 AM5/15/10
to vim...@vim.org

I have branched Vim development, so that a few important patches on 7.2
can still be included. However, I will now concentrate on the 7.3
release. At first I'll include a few bigger patches, so that they can
be tested all together.

I'll look at the voting list to help me decide what to include:
http://www.vim.org/sponsor/vote_results.php
However, I don't have time to add features from scratch and patches
that need a lot more work. The "persistent undo" feature is a border
case. It's in the fourth position now, but the patch needs a bit more
work. I'll see what I can do.

For now the files are only distributed through Mercurial. That makes it
easy for me to make the files available after each change. And easy for
you to sync with the latest version.

To get the files:
hg clone https://vim.googlecode.com/hg/ vim
cd vim
hg update vim73

Later you can fetch changes, as often as you like, with:
hg pull
hg update

You can also use your existing Mercurial Vim repository, or a clone of
it, and jump to the "vim73" branch. Should be faster.

For a bit more information and links to Mercurial documentation:
http://www.vim.org/mercurial.php

I'm not going to make binaries for a while. If someone can volunteer to
make MS-Windows binaries available, please let us know.

Please send remarks about the 7.3 development to the vim-dev maillist.

--
Never overestimate a man's ability to underestimate a woman.

Tux

May 15, 2010, 11:50:39 AM5/15/10
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Bram Moolenaar schrob am 15.05.2010 17:23:

I'm not going to make binaries for a while.  If someone can volunteer to
make MS-Windows binaries available, please let us know.

Compiled with VS2008, Python 2.6 and Perl 5.10 under Windows 7. Works.
Which files to distribute?

Linxiao

May 15, 2010, 12:36:43 PM5/15/10
to vim...@googlegroups.com, vim...@vim.org

Would 1, 2, 3 be added in this version?

1 155 (-14) 63 -7 add IDE features (debugger integration, shell window)
2 153 (-36) 61 -8 add integration with Python instead of inventing more Vim script
3 123 (-1) 47 -1 fix all problems, big and small; make Vim more robust

--
leal @ http://linxiao.net

Bram Moolenaar

May 15, 2010, 1:43:27 PM5/15/10
to Linxiao, vim...@vim.org

Linxiao Li wrote:

> Would 1, 2, 3 be added in this version?
>
> 1 155 (-14) 63 -7 add IDE features (debugger integration, shell window)

I don't have a patch for that. It probably needs a lot of dicsussion
anyway.

> 2 153 (-36) 61 -8 add integration with Python instead of inventing more
> Vim script

There already is Python support. I have a few patches to improve Python
support, I'll look into these.

> 3 123 (-1) 47 -1 fix all problems, big and small; make Vim more robust

That's happening. Most of the patches for Vim 7.2 were to fix problems.

--
I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.
-- Michael Davis -- "Tonight Show"

Derek Tattersall

May 15, 2010, 7:45:14 PM5/15/10
to vim_dev

On May 15, 1:43 pm, Bram Moolenaar <B...@Moolenaar.net> wrote:
> Linxiao Li wrote:
> > Would 1, 2, 3 be added in this version?
>
> > 1 155 (-14)  63 -7  add IDE features (debugger integration, shell window)
>
> I don't have a patch for that.  It probably needs a lot of dicsussion
> anyway.
>
> > 2 153 (-36)  61 -8  add integration with Python instead of inventing more
> > Vim script
>
> There already is Python support.  I have a few patches to improve Python
> support, I'll look into these.
>
> > 3 123 (-1)  47 -1  fix all problems, big and small; make Vim more robust
>
> That's happening.  Most of the patches for Vim 7.2 were to fix problems.
>
> --
> I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.
>                                 -- Michael Davis -- "Tonight Show"
>
>  /// Bram Moolenaar -- B...@Moolenaar.net --http://www.Moolenaar.net  \\\
> ///        sponsor Vim, vote for features --http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/\\\
> \\\        download, build and distribute --http://www.A-A-P.org       ///
>  \\\            help me help AIDS victims --http://ICCF-Holland.org   ///
>
> --
> For more information, visithttp://www.vim.org/maillist.php
The VIM_VERSION_LONG_DATE in src/version.h incorrectly specifies a
release date of 2008 May 15. Obviously should be 2010 May 15.
In the file src/vim.rc the copy right date should be Copyright 1996 -
2010.
I guess these would be the first two patches.

Tux

May 15, 2010, 10:53:17 PM5/15/10
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Self-quote:

Compiled with VS2008, Python 2.6 and Perl 5.10 under Windows 7. Works.
Which files to distribute?

OK, just a little test.
http://tuxproject.de/projects/vim/ .. any comments?

Bram Moolenaar

May 16, 2010, 8:55:52 AM5/16/10
to Derek Tattersall, vim_dev
Thanks for noticing the typo.

The copyright notice doesn't need to be updated. The first year is
important, the rest is open for a long discussion between lawyers.

With the versioning systems we use today the date of every change is
known, thus only the copyright owner needs to be mentioned in the file.
The year of first publication is usually added, more a habit than a
requirement.

49. You never have to deal with busy signals when calling your ISP...because
you never log off.

Dominique Pellé

May 16, 2010, 2:34:44 PM5/16/10
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> I have branched Vim development, so that a few important patches on 7.2
> can still be included.  However, I will now concentrate on the 7.3
> release.  At first I'll include a few bigger patches, so that they can
> be tested all together.

...snip...

> Please send remarks about the 7.3 development to the vim-dev maillist.

I'm wondering: I see that there are a few new strings to be
translated in src/po/??.po. Should translation updates be sent
to you now, or should we wait until more patches are applied
to vim73 since they may introduce yet more strings to translate?

Regards
-- Dominique

Bram Moolenaar

May 16, 2010, 5:08:01 PM5/16/10
to Dominique Pellé, vim...@googlegroups.com

Dominique Pelle wrote:

> I'm wondering: I see that there are a few new strings to be
> translated in src/po/??.po. Should translation updates be sent
> to you now, or should we wait until more patches are applied
> to vim73 since they may introduce yet more strings to translate?

I plan to include a few more larger patches. Better to wait with
translations until this has settled down. Don't know yet when that will
be.

53. To find out what time it is, you send yourself an e-mail and check the
"Date:" field.

Tux

May 18, 2010, 5:57:31 PM5/18/10
to vim...@googlegroups.com
While trying to compile Vim 7.3a from Hg under Windows (which worked fine a few hours ago) with Visual Studio 2008, I receive the following errors:

http://pastebin.com/G3XxEsqN

Compilation command:
nmake -f Make_mvc.mak GUI=yes OLE=yes PERL=C:\Perl DYNAMIC_PERL=yes PYTHON=C:\Programme\Python DYNAMIC_PYTHON=yes SNIFF=yes CSCOPE=yes IME=yes GIME=yes MBYTE=yes FEATURES=huge RUBY=C:\Ruby DYNAMIC_RUBY=yes TCL=C:\tcl DYNAMIC_TCL=yes POSTSCRIPT=yes XPM=..\..\libXpm

HTH.

Tony Mechelynck

May 19, 2010, 5:57:03 AM5/19/10
to vim...@googlegroups.com, Tux, Bram Moolenaar
On 18/05/10 23:57, Tux wrote:
> While trying to compile Vim 7.3a from Hg under Windows (which worked
> fine a few hours ago) with Visual Studio 2008, I receive the following
> errors:
>
> http://pastebin.com/G3XxEsqN
>
> Compilation command:
> nmake -f Make_mvc.mak GUI=yes OLE=yes PERL=C:\Perl DYNAMIC_PERL=yes
> PYTHON=C:\Programme\Python DYNAMIC_PYTHON=yes SNIFF=yes CSCOPE=yes
> IME=yes GIME=yes MBYTE=yes FEATURES=huge RUBY=C:\Ruby DYNAMIC_RUBY=yes
> TCL=C:\tcl DYNAMIC_TCL=yes POSTSCRIPT=yes XPM=..\..\libXpm
>
> HTH.

Looks like the Linux fix has busted it up for other platforms, see the
thread "Problem with vim7.3a and Perl". The problem was a collision
between a #define uint32_t added into config.h if not already defined,
and a typedef uint32_t defined by <stdint.h> invoked by something
invoked by Perl and Python interfaces.

Bram: I guess we'll have to stick to Vim coding style anyway, and use an
all-caps name for the define to avoid conflicts.

Best regards,
Tony.
--
Caution: breathing may be hazardous to your health.