+clientserver without X

MURAOKA Taro

May 16, 2011, 6:50:56 PM5/16/11
to vim-dev, Bram Moolenaar
Hi list and Bram.

http://code.google.com/r/yukihironakadaira-vim-cmdsrv-nox/

There is a branch of vim that try to implement +clientserver feature without X.
(for Windows, without Window Message)
It almost works well. And currently, it have some problems about
stability and security.
But I expect that those problems will be fixed soon.
Yukihiro Nakadaira works hard on it.

It seems be worth to include to vim's trunk. Of cource after it is completed.
If you interested in it, please comments or requests.

Thank you lot.
--
MURAOKA Taro <koron....@gmail.com>

Marc Weber

May 16, 2011, 8:14:07 PM5/16/11
to vim_dev
Excerpts from MURAOKA Taro's message of Tue May 17 00:50:56 +0200 2011:
> http://code.google.com/r/yukihironakadaira-vim-cmdsrv-nox/

vim-addon-async will benfit of it!

Well there is another attempt adding async communication.
That implementation already works to some degree ..

That patch can be found here:

http://github.com/bartman/vim

It implements launching processes. The output of the process is received
by callback functions written in VimL and you can send data to its
input.

vim-addon-async implements repl for ruby, python, scala on top of it a
hacky reimplementation of it using client-server for now.
So this all will be available for non X setups as well :)

Marc Weber

mattn

May 16, 2011, 9:48:39 PM5/16/11
to vim...@googlegroups.com

Great! but, vim-cmdsrv-nox is not "Improvement". I think that this should be replacement of vim's clientserver.
Currently, vim's clientserver have big problem. for non-x11 environment, clientserver is not provided.
Yukihiro Nakadaira is thinking that clientserver should be provided in ALL environments.

Currently, I'm testing his patch. in later, perhaps, I'll explain to bram why vim-cmdsrv-nox is needed.

Thanks.