Google summer of code

Bram Moolenaar

Feb 9, 2015, 3:45:42 PM2/9/15
to vim...@googlegroups.com

The Summer of Code is here again this year. If we want Vim to
participate we need a few mentors and someone to organise the
application.

To be realistic, I won't have much time for this. I can help out where
needed, but the bulk of the work will have to be done by you!

Information can be found here:
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2015

The deadline for organizations to apply is February 20.

206. You religiously respond immediately to e-mail, while ignoring
your growing pile of snail mail.

Christian Brabandt

Feb 10, 2015, 1:56:57 AM2/10/15
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Am 2015-02-09 21:45, schrieb Bram Moolenaar:
> The Summer of Code is here again this year. If we want Vim to
> participate we need a few mentors and someone to organise the
> application.
>
> To be realistic, I won't have much time for this. I can help out where
> needed, but the bulk of the work will have to be done by you!
>
> Information can be found here:
> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2015
>
> The deadline for organizations to apply is February 20.

Well, I have never done something like this, (so I don't know what
to expect) but I think I could mentor.

Best,
Christian

John Beckett

Feb 10, 2015, 5:57:37 AM2/10/15
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Bram wrote:
> The Summer of Code is here again this year. If we want Vim to
> participate we need a few mentors and someone to organise the
> application.
>
> To be realistic, I won't have much time for this. I can help
> out where needed, but the bulk of the work will have to be
> done by you!
>
> Information can be found here:
> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2015
>
> The deadline for organizations to apply is February 20.

I'm not sure I'm up to it but I could be an administrator.

Christian has signed up as a mentor, and I think we would need
at least one other. A mentor has to commit to follow at least
one student, to encourage them, provide ideas, answer questions.
Most importantly, a mentor has to check the student is sticking
to a reasonable timetable of submitting work. The dev mailing
list can be used for questions/discussion, but the mentor has to
be available for more personal contact.

The issue is serious: Google pays US$5500 to the student (if the
mentor "passes" the student), and Google pays US$500 to the
mentoring organisation for each passed student. ICCF? For a
non-US organisation, Google needs a "completed IRS form W8-BEN".
I hope Bram can deal with that.

The big problem is our "ideas list":
http://www.vim.org/soc/ideas.php

Google does NOT want a bug list -- they want interesting and
achievable projects that a good student could reasonably be
expected to undertake. Vim was rejected for GSOC2012 probably
because the ideas page was not sufficiently interesting.

The following is probably a good model:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code_2015

Any suggestions for the ideas page?

John

Enno

Feb 10, 2015, 8:55:19 AM2/10/15
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

For example, the current Thesaurus completion (:help i_ctrl-x_ctrl-t) is not what most people would expect:

A synonym is commonly (philologically) an expression with nearly the same meaning in some senses (Merrian-Webster). This is different from a synonym in Vim's sense where a synonym is an interchangeable single word.

Christian Brabandt

Feb 10, 2015, 2:38:16 PM2/10/15
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bram!

I have a couple of ideas on what to work (in no particular order):

- improve terminal input handling
(have a look at the thread starting here:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.editors.vim.devel/29645)

- Implement smooth scrolling.
By that, I mean the possibility to be able to scroll by screen lines
instead of physical lines. This is especially annoying, if you work
with long wrapped lines, that span several screen lines.
This is a personal annoyance of me but I haven't had time to really
look into this

- Update the GTK Gui to use a more modern and nicer GUI
Migrate to GTK3?

- Work on integrating the CodeCheck patch
https://code.google.com/p/codecheck/

- others?

Best,
Christian

Bram Moolenaar

Feb 10, 2015, 2:56:18 PM2/10/15
to Christian Brabandt, vim...@googlegroups.com

Christian Brabandt wrote:

> I have a couple of ideas on what to work (in no particular order):
>
> - improve terminal input handling
> (have a look at the thread starting here:
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.editors.vim.devel/29645)

This requires a good design, one that isn't too much work and keeps 100%
backwards compatibility. And understanding the problem. Might be
difficult to find someone with good qualifications for this.

> - Implement smooth scrolling.
> By that, I mean the possibility to be able to scroll by screen lines
> instead of physical lines. This is especially annoying, if you work
> with long wrapped lines, that span several screen lines.
> This is a personal annoyance of me but I haven't had time to really
> look into this

That's a nice idea.

> - Update the GTK Gui to use a more modern and nicer GUI
> Migrate to GTK3?

There has been very little work on the GUI, it would be good to see what
updates can be made. On the other hand, there are not many user
requests in this area.

> - Work on integrating the CodeCheck patch
> https://code.google.com/p/codecheck/

Almost forgot about that one.

You can also check the voting list (but the site is currently down).

217. Your sex life has drastically improved...so what if it's only cyber-sex!

James McCoy

Feb 10, 2015, 8:32:19 PM2/10/15
to vim...@googlegroups.com, Bram Moolenaar
On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 08:56:12PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> Christian Brabandt wrote:
> > - Update the GTK Gui to use a more modern and nicer GUI
> > Migrate to GTK3?
>
> There has been very little work on the GUI, it would be good to see what
> updates can be made. On the other hand, there are not many user
> requests in this area.

I did some work on this awhile ago. At the time, I was trying to avoid
code duplication similar to what if_py_both.h does for the if_py code.
Keeping it compatible with GTK2 is a bit of work though, particularly
because of the version of GTK2/Glib that Vim expects.

Would a transition to GTK3 instead of supporting both be acceptable?

Cheers,
--
James
GPG Key: 4096R/331BA3DB 2011-12-05 James McCoy <jame...@jamessan.com>

Marius Gedminas

Feb 12, 2015, 7:43:05 AM2/12/15
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 08:56:12PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> Christian Brabandt wrote:
> > I have a couple of ideas on what to work (in no particular order):
> > - Update the GTK Gui to use a more modern and nicer GUI
> > Migrate to GTK3?
>
> There has been very little work on the GUI, it would be good to see what
> updates can be made. On the other hand, there are not many user
> requests in this area.

As a user, I'd like Vim to migrate to GTK+ 3.x please.

Marius Gedminas
--
I went cold turkey on games early on in college in an attempt to focus; in
retrospect, putting Linux on my primary computer to help enforce that was

John Little

Feb 12, 2015, 9:17:35 PM2/12/15
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On Friday, February 13, 2015 at 1:43:05 AM UTC+13, Marius Gedminas wrote:

> As a user, I'd like Vim to migrate to GTK+ 3.x please.

Not meaning to question or challenge your suggestion at all, is it possible you could say why? (Everything Gnome 3-ish has otherwise been a turn off to me.)

Regards, John Little

Murukesh Mohanan

Feb 18, 2015, 10:54:26 PM2/18/15
to vim...@googlegroups.com
(Random user, passing by)

GNOME3 has a bit of stigma, but GTK3 itself doesn't seem to too bad, since MATE, the GNOME2 fork, is also transitioning to GTK3: http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/status:gtk3. GNOME3 the UI and GTK3 the library should be viewed separately, I think.