vim 7.4 has no lilypond syntax

Frédéric Bron

Sep 4, 2013, 1:42:20 AM9/4/13
to vim...@vim.org
My Fedora 19 distribution updated vim to 7.4. Sadly lilypond syntax
has disappeared. I have downloaded the source with hg and could not
find the syntax file either although it was present in 7.3. Is it an
issue for vim or were those syntax files added by the fedora package
maintainer?

Here is the list of lilypond related files I can see in 7.3 version
that are not present in 7.4:
/usr/share/vim/vim73/syntax/lilypond.vim
/usr/share/vim/vim73/syntax/lilypond-words.vim
/usr/share/vim/vim73/syntax/lilypond-words
/usr/share/vim/vim73/indent/lilypond.vim
/usr/share/vim/vim73/compiler/lilypond.vim
/usr/share/vim/vim73/ftdetect/lilypond.vim
/usr/share/vim/vim73/ftplugin/lilypond.vim

Frédéric

Tony Mechelynck

Sep 4, 2013, 6:00:34 AM9/4/13
to vim...@googlegroups.com
I just checked Vim 7.3.1314 as it is on the Mercurial server, and it
hasn't got these files either. So you got them from somewhere else and
did something that you ought NEVER to have done (and now you see why):
you dropped them into subdirectories of $VIMRUNTIME, whose full path
ends in .../vim73/ for Vim 7.3 and in .../vim74/ for Vim 7.4. If you had
dropped them instead in subdirectories of $VIM/vimfiles/ or of ~/.vim/
(creating them if necessary, as they don't exist by default), then Vim
7.4 would still see them.

So if you still have the files listed above, you can get them back by
doing the following (assuming that the Vim 7.3 $VIMRUNTIME and the Vim
7.4 $VIMRUNTIME have a common parent which they both know as $VIM):

#!/bin/bash
pushd /usr/share/vim
for d in syntax indent compiler ftdetect ftplugin
do
mkdir -pv vimfiles/$d
cp -v vim73/$d/lilypond* vimfiles/$d
done
popd

The above short script (which you should create with "executable"
permission of course, and [DISCLAIMER] which I haven't tested) should
copy the files to their proper location, creating the directories as
needed and telling you what it is doing.

You should run that script after logging in to a username having the
proper permissions to create subdirectories of /usr/share/vim/ and add
files to them.

If the Vim 7.3 $VIM and the Vim 7.4 Vim are not the same (e.g.
/usr/share/vim/ for 7.3 and /usr/local/share/vim/ for 7.4) then you need
to modify the above script slightly according to what you have. I trust
that you will know (or will be able to guess) how to do that.

Best regards,
Tony.
--
I'd rather be led to hell than managed to heavan.

John Little

Sep 4, 2013, 6:08:04 AM9/4/13
to vim...@googlegroups.com, vim...@vim.org
Those files are not in my Ubuntu Raring vim 7.3.547, which IIUC comes from Debian. And they're not in mercurial, and if my hg-fu is any good never have been either (hg log --removed --style changelog | grep lilypond shows nothing).

I suggest you copy them to ~/.vim, and check their first few lines for a maintainer.

Regards, John Little

John Little

Sep 4, 2013, 6:14:18 AM9/4/13
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On Wednesday, September 4, 2013 10:00:34 PM UTC+12, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
> .. So you got them from somewhere else and
> did something that you ought NEVER to have done...

Maybe the Fedora packagers did it. I don't know about them, but the Debian counterparts have done stuff a bit like that in the past...

Regards, John Little

Frédéric Bron

Sep 4, 2013, 6:24:16 AM9/4/13
to vim...@googlegroups.com
>> My Fedora 19 distribution updated vim to 7.4. Sadly lilypond syntax
>> has disappeared.
> I just checked Vim 7.3.1314 as it is on the Mercurial server, and it hasn't
> got these files either. So you got them from somewhere else and did
> something that you ought NEVER to have done (and now you see why): you
> dropped them into subdirectories of $VIMRUNTIME,
> Maybe the Fedora packagers did it. I don't know about them, but the Debian counterparts have done stuff a bit like that in the past...

Thank you. I do not remember having done that myself so I think it
comes from Fedora. I will report this to them.
Thanks for the help.
Frédéric

Tony Mechelynck

Sep 4, 2013, 6:29:32 AM9/4/13
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Maybe. I would, however, expect more care from Fedora (not from Debian
or Ubuntu). The little bash script in my previous post still ought to work.

Best regards,
Tony.
11. You find yourself typing "com" after every period when using a word
processor.com

Gary Johnson

Sep 4, 2013, 11:10:54 AM9/4/13
to vim...@googlegroups.com
FWIW, I'm running Fedora 14 on one of my machines. Its Vim package
has Vim 7.3.315. There are no lilypond* files under
/usr/share/vim/vim73.

Regards,
Gary