GSM White Spaces

Steve Song

Mar 24, 2014, 11:19:54 AM3/24/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Some of you may have seen a post I wrote earlier this year about applying dynamic spectrum management approaches to GSM spectrum:

In it I profiled the research of the TIER group (Shaddi Hasan, Kurtis Heimerl et al) at UC Berkeley who have come up with a very innovative approach to applying dynamic spectrum techniques to low-cost open source GSM equipment (OpenBTS).  You can read more detail about this in their academic paper on this at http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/Pubs/TechRpts/2013/EECS-2013-198.pdf

The reason I bring it up is that they are looking for a range of trial sites to test this technology in South Africa.  They already have a couple of sites in mind already, in partnership with CSIR and others, but they are looking for other potential sites.  If you are interested in participating in this please get in touch off-list and I'll put you in contact.  This is limited to South Africa for the time being.

Cheers... Steve

--
Steve Song

Zanecebo Mchunu

Mar 27, 2014, 8:46:33 AM3/27/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Steve Song for sharing, I'm interested in providing a site in Soweto for the technology test.

Zanecebo Mchunu - 0745730252