WiFi Regulations around the world

Steve Song

Nov 21, 2014, 1:53:14 PM11/21/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

In a related project to Village Telco, I am trying to build a compendium of WiFi regulations around the world (focusing on Africa first) to highlight that there is still a lot of work to be done in having WiFi regulations that truly enabled local wireless infrastructure development.

If you would like to contribute to this, please do register (https://decentralizethis.org/Special:RequestAccount) and contribute to the wiki.  Alternatively, if you can simply point me to regulations where relevant in your country, I am happy to do the leg work of updating the wiki.

Regards... Steve

Haiti Connect

Nov 21, 2014, 2:10:08 PM11/21/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com

Steve,

Excellent initiative.

The lack of a central resource on global regulations came up during discussion at the recent WLAN Professionals conference in the Netherlands.

I will share the URL’s with that community.

Should be good for some input.

Regards, Evert Bopp.

+353 86 8645099

Disaster Tech Lab

Emergency Communication Services

Support our upcoming Philippines deployment!

No virus found in this message.

Song, Stephen

Nov 21, 2014, 2:41:52 PM11/21/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com

T Gillett

Nov 24, 2014, 3:40:05 AM11/24/14
to village-telco-dev
Hi Steve

Regards
Terry

Song, Stephen

Nov 24, 2014, 8:26:51 AM11/24/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Terry!  Exactly the sort of info I am after.

Cheers... Steve

Carlos Rey-Moreno

Nov 24, 2014, 11:43:06 PM11/24/14
to village-telco-dev
Hi Steve, great initiative!

These two papers might be a bit old, but they included a lot of information about African and some Latinamerican countries, respestively. Hope it helps:

http://itidjournal.org/itid/article/viewFile/206/76
http://itidjournal.org/itid/article/download/204/74

I've also forwarded the email to a list of researchers/practitioners from Latin America, from my times at www.ehas.org who I think they can help as well.

I see South Africa is already covered, so I can add little more.

carlos

Carlos Rey-Moreno
Research Assistant
Office 1.28
Department of Computer Science
University of the Western Cape
Private Bag X17 - Bellville, 7535
Cape Town - South Africa
Tel: +27 (0) 21 959 2562 Cel: +27 (0) 76 986 3633
Skype: carlos.reymoreno Twitter: Creym

Glen Steedman

Nov 24, 2014, 11:46:03 PM11/24/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Whilst not the official source, i like the format of the table and the information that is laid out for the 2.4 , 5ghz in this band plan , for power and width

--
Cheers, Glen

ronald munjoma

Nov 25, 2014, 4:35:57 AM11/25/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Steve,

​I am getting the below error when requesting an account:

Database error

A database query error has occurred. This may indicate a bug in the software.

Best and Regards
Ronald Munjoma

Regards... Steve

Best and Regards
Ronald Munjoma
+263 775 625 283, +263 776 444 309

ronald munjoma

Nov 25, 2014, 4:37:41 AM11/25/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Glen,

On 25 November 2014 at 06:45, Glen Steedman <gste...@gmail.com> wrote:
Whilst not the official source, i like the format of the table and the information that is laid out for the 2.4 , 5ghz in this band plan , for power and width

​For Zimbabwe I would like to add the attached directive from Potraz

Thanks and Regards
Ronald Munjoma

POTRAZ-wi-fi-notice-may 2011-directive-rev2011.pdf

Song, Stephen

Nov 25, 2014, 7:27:18 AM11/25/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ronald,

On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 5:36 AM, ronald munjoma <sim...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Glen,

On 25 November 2014 at 06:45, Glen Steedman <gste...@gmail.com> wrote:
Whilst not the official source, i like the format of the table and the information that is laid out for the 2.4 , 5ghz in this band plan , for power and width

​For Zimbabwe I would like to add the attached directive from Potraz

That's excellent, thank you!  In particular it is useful because it brings up a subtlety that I really want to highlight in this resource, that is the focus on PtP and PtMP connectivity with unlicensed spectrum.  Zimbabwe is the perfect case in point.  While it is legal to have WiFi hotspots in Zimbabwe, all PtP and PtMP connectivity that extends beyond a private property requires a license.  Further I was directly informed by the regulator when I was in Zimbabwe last year that POTRAZ does not issue licenses for PtP/PtMP WiFi.

Thus while the regulations appear to sanction WiFi connectivity, it is only for hotspots.  Namibia is similar for WiFi but they have not specifically come out and said that they will not issue licenses in the ISM bands.  I would not have known about POTRAZ's position had I not specifically asked them in person.  I am unaware however whether this is specifically recorded anywhere or if it is simply a matter of practice.

Regards... Steve

Song, Stephen

Nov 25, 2014, 7:55:22 AM11/25/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Carlos,

Thanks!  I was familiar Isabel's work in Africa but not Hernan's.  Both are very thoughtful explorations of ISM regulation.  Unfortunately they are both about 10 years old now which emphasises to me how important it is to update this information (given how much the role of WiFi has changed) and to advocate for the harmonisation of ISM band regulation to enable rural access.

In Isabel's work in particular is useful from a taxonomic point of view. They make the following categories:

Unlicensed, no registration
Unlicensed, registration
Licensed, automatic
Licensed, not automatic.

I am still working out exactly what the distinction between Unlicensed, registration and Licensed, automatic is.

I think at the very least this information needs to be coupled with spectrum fee information because the financial barrier can often be larger than the administrative one.  I think this is the case in Malawi for instance where the annual fee is more than the price of the equipment.

Cheers... Steve

Song, Stephen

Nov 25, 2014, 8:17:01 AM11/25/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ronald,

Apologies, that is fixed now.  If you try again, it should work.

Cheers... Steve