traffic between MP

dariogdiaz

Feb 3, 2015, 11:45:47 PM2/3/15
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hi!!! I am new member on the forum...

I want to ask what is the maximum capacity of traffic between Mesh Potatos: 1Mbps, 2Mbps 3Mbps or ... ???

Greetings to all !!

Steve Song

Feb 4, 2015, 7:25:28 AM2/4/15
to Village Telco Dev
Hi,

The maximum speed between two MP2s is about 40Mbps.  See these tests done by Terry Gillett at

While the MP2 is not tested specifically there, the WR703n uses the same chipset as the MP2 so you can take that as a guide.  The chief constraint on mesh performance is the fact that the MP2 is a single radio device which means that there is a performance drop of about 50% for each hop in the mesh you are from the gateway.  This means that it is not reasonable to have a mesh that is more than 3-4 nodes deep with a single radio device, or perhaps less depending on your performance requirements.

This can be overcome by the use of dual radio solutions.  One of the most interesting options to explore is connecting a second WiFi device via the USB port.  Terry has done a lot of experimentation with this and has written an Introduction to Using USB WiFi devices for Dual Radio  at http://wiki.villagetelco.org/Using_USB_WiFi_Devices_for_Dual_Radio

Regards... Steve

dariogdiaz

Feb 4, 2015, 11:40:50 PM2/4/15
to village-...@googlegroups.com, st...@villagetelco.org
Steve thanks for your answer!!

I'm from Argentina and I'm very interested in the MP and the soft to ubiquiti equipment.
I met MP through an Argentina company that imports. I have a project to create a wireless network in my city that can offer all services on internet and telephony, and in the near future provide TV. Hence my question about the bandwidth that can manage the network and who want it to be about 5Mbps on average.
The network topology in principle be cell 15 MP per node (computer that connects to the MP to the Internet) and then join the cells between them.

A few days ago the company that sells the MP has informed me that they will discontinue outdoor MP, this is true ????
I'll have to design my wireless network with ubiquitis ???

Regards...

Darío.

Michel Daggelinckx

Feb 5, 2015, 9:00:13 AM2/5/15
to village-...@googlegroups.com
if troughput is important you should look into mikrotik routerboards and use BGPv4 routing.
for links use ubiquity in bridge mode.
This will allow speeds upto 1.4GB/s depending on the ubiquity devices used.
this way you'll have a powerfull backbone for your network.
you can then hookup an MP2 (MP1 is no longer produced) with ETH port to the backbone and deploy small mesh cell's.

@steve can you give an ETA on the MP2 outdoor ?

We are running a 700 node and growing network where we offer free internet acces, live streaming datacenter interlinks and temporary deployments for events with 5000+ clients.
The way we are able to provide free internet is to offer free interlinks to datacenters in exchange for free use of excess incomming bandwith.

Michel

Steve Song

Feb 6, 2015, 10:01:41 AM2/6/15
to Village Telco Dev
Hi Dario,

In terms of outdoor nodes, Ubiquiti or similar equipment is your only option at the moment.  The MP1 (outdoor) is now out of production and we have not yet produced an outdoor version of the MP2.  We are currently exploring a crowd-funding campaign to build a flexible outdoor device that would accommodate dual radio design, local storage, and/or 3G/LTE failover/backhaul.  We'll keep you posted on this.

Regards... Steve

Darío G. Díaz

Feb 6, 2015, 11:17:00 PM2/6/15
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your comments!
We will experience installing SECN 2.0 M2 and M5 ubiquiti nanostation to build a mesh cell 15 customers and test operation. I will comment after testing results.
I am very grateful to report the results of the developments that will perform.

Best regards!!

Darío.

T Gillett

Feb 8, 2015, 10:09:52 PM2/8/15
to village-telco-dev
Hi Dario

When I build the firmware for the Ubiquity devices, and Nano in particular, I test on an M2 device as I don't have an M5 for testing.
And I am not aware of anyone else in the VT community using M5 devices.

The SECN firmware currently displays only the 2.4GHz channels in the SECN GUI for the Ubiquity devices, so we may have to update this for your M5 Nanostations.

As far as I am aware, and from my experience with other devices that operate on 5GHz band, the OpenWrt firmware will be the same, and we will simply need to set the channel to a valid 5GHz value.

If you would like to let me know when you have a M5 device on hand to test with, we can test the changes and make a new firmware for the M5 device.

Regards
Terry

Darío G. Díaz

Feb 9, 2015, 8:51:46 AM2/9/15
to village-...@googlegroups.com, tgil...@gmail.com
Hi Terry!!

The desicion I have to try the firmware SECN 2.0 Ubiquiti M5, is according to what I read on the website of VT on equipment supporting the firmware. Of course informs and want to share with the community of VT tests to be undertaken.
One reason for testing in the 5GHz frequency is the frequency of 2.4GHz is saturated in my city.

Question 1: you have done performance testing and transport capacity of a network of at least 10 MP, to know the approximate capacity, how can Mbps network traffic from the MP1 to MP10 ... ???

Question 2: what will be the estimated frequency SECN firmware upgrade ... ???
In my case, is due to the interest of progress with the development of the mesh I intend to implement in my city to provide Internet service.

Question 3: You can install the firmware SECN 2.0 TP-LINK TL-WA5210G and TL-WA7210N ... ???

I will be
in contact with the VT permamente community to provide evidence and information to make arising from the implementation of SECN.

I cordially greet all !!

Ing. Darío G. Díaz

Skype: dariogdiaz

"No imprima este mensaje a menos que sea necesario.
Tambien depende de Ud. la protección del medio ambiente"

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Village Telco Development Community" group.

Darío G. Díaz

Feb 10, 2015, 12:50:45 AM2/10/15
to T Gillett, village-...@googlegroups.com, st...@villagetelco.org
Hi Terry!!!

I really appreciate the information supplied me to a better understanding of SECN and MP.

In the mesh network that we will build have as premises as follows: cells 15 clients that are interconnected to each other and each having a primary internet access.

As for the equipment will be used Ubiquiti PicoStation or omnidirectional antenna (with rocket M2 or M5) and internet access point. On clients Nanostation M2 or M5 were used.

This desicion is based on the company importing the MP to Argentina no longer will do because it has been discontinued MP, and also have in stock a few MP.

Therefore we decided to use the firmware 2.0 on computers Ubiquiti SECN and eventually any TP-Link. At the moment there telephony service is contemplated.

Attached is an outline of the proposed network and that currently under development, especially in soft installing the equipment and setting the mesh.

The
internet access service that will be offered in each house will reach a router to distribute the devices you have in place. The average bandwidth should be 2 Mbps. This is enough to have good internet access, but as for multimedia content we solve a content cache server which can then be downloaded to the maximum speed that can be awarded network.
Today's wireless network (point to multipoint) we have has these features and also we focus on architecture and network segmentation. Luckily we are having very good results.

We know that the problem arises in the future with streaming content which requires a bandwidth of at least 5 Mbps or more. For this we hope the evolution of equipment, firmware and network.

I hope I was clear in my explanation of development we are doing. We are confident SECN, in VT and contribute to the community the results we go getting.

Once again, I want to express thanks for this forum and the answers you that will help us to continue working on these solutions give us.

I also apologize for my "English" is not very good ... luckily there is Google Translator, jajajaja!!!!!!!

Thanks and Greetings to all !!

Ing. Darío G. Díaz

Skype: dariogdiaz

"No imprima este mensaje a menos que sea necesario.
Tambien depende de Ud. la protección del medio ambiente"

Hi Dario

To answer your questions, at least in part:

1. It is difficult to provide hard numbers for capacity on a mesh, as there are many factors that come into play.

You really have to look at the fundamentals of the technology to decide whether it is suitable for your application.
The wifi technology was fundamentally designed for small local networks, eg with 802.11g operating at 2.4GHz with a theoretical  maximum speed of 54Mbps between two devices. Various enhancements have been made over time, most notably 802.11a/n operating at 5GHz which offers more bandwidth, albeit at the expense of range due to the propagation characteristics.

Using mesh techniques like batman-adv simply spreads that fundamental capability around a greater number of devices, and the bandwidth and data processing capability of the nodes has to be shared.

In the most of the current SECN devices, including the MP2, we use a device with a single radio to implement two wifi interfaces - Access Point for connected clients and Ad Hoc for the mesh. This again splits the capacity of the node.

We are currently working on a dual radio MP device which will allow full capacity on each interface and operation on 5GHz band.
You can use devices like the TP Link WDR4300 to do this already with SECN firmware, or use plug in USB wifi devices with some limitations.

The SECN firmware is intended to provide a Small Enterprise Campus Network.  An example would be to provide a simple wireless network for a school in a rural / remote area, where there is a central node and a number of secondary nodes in classrooms, with one, or perhaps two, network hops in between. With this arrangement it is possible to get reasonable performance for local networking around the school and to share a common internet access point at the central node. But it can't scale to accommodate every student in the school streaming video content!

I think you mentioned that you wanted to network 15 MP nodes to each central node, which is not unreasonable.
But the question is what is connected to each MP?  Is it a small number of devices eg a couple of computers in a household? And what sort of data usage is anticipated?
If users want to stream video, then it is not going to work well.
Is there any telephony requirement?

Keep in mind that there is no magic - SECN firmware is simply OpenWrt running batman-adv mesh software, and Asterisk telephony software.
The SECN firmware provides nothing at run time - it is simply a user interface to configure the underlying packages.
Any network you build will be constrained by the capabilities of the devices you use and the OpenWrt software running on them.

2. We plan to provide SECN upgrades to coincide with stable releases of OpenWrt.  SECN 2 is based on OpenWrt Attitude Adjustment and SECN 3 is based on OpenWrt Barrier Breaker.

In addition there will be functional enhancements from time to time as the opportunity arises eg around new hardware devices.

This is an open source community project, so it is driven by the user community.

3. We do not currently provide SECN firmware for the TP-LINK TL-WA5210G and TL-WA7210N.
The WA5210 is based on the older AR2315 chipset and has very limited memory.
The WA7210 is not listed as supported in OpenWrt
The WA7510 is listed as supported and could be used. It is a 5GHz only outdoor AP node, but has limited memory (4MB Flash, 32MB RAM).

I hope this helps.

Regards
Terry
Mesh_cells.jpg

Michel Daggelinckx

Feb 10, 2015, 10:32:14 AM2/10/15
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

for the uplink to the central tower i wouldn't use a picostation.
use only 5Ghz gear for your network then people can use 2.4 Ghz indoors without interference to your network.
5 Ghz will also allow for higher speeds.

Michel

Darío G. Díaz

Feb 10, 2015, 12:54:31 PM2/10/15
to village-...@googlegroups.com, vtscrol...@gmail.com
Hi Michel

Your
appreciation is correct, the PicoStation in the picture is symbolic, since there really is should place a BulletM5 or RocketM5 with omnidirectional antenna in the mesh link. With this addition we would have more bandwidth on the network.
Then in each house is low at 2.4 GHz for wifi or ethernet cable input to connect any device routerWifi.

Thank you for your feedback.
Regards!!