Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Michel Daggelinckx

Apr 30, 2012, 2:41:44 AM4/30/12
to Vikkage Telco devs
Ubuntu 12.04 has batmand in the repo's.

Does this mean an ubuntu server can be used as a supernode/gateway ?

Michel

Elektra

Apr 30, 2012, 5:05:57 AM4/30/12
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hi -

> Ubuntu 12.04 has batmand in the repo's.
>
> Does this mean an ubuntu server can be used as a supernode/gateway ?

do you mean batmand or batman-adv?

Cheers,
Elektra

VT ScrollKeeper

May 1, 2012, 5:09:36 AM5/1/12
to village-...@googlegroups.com
batmand is there
batman-adv is not.
--
Michel

VT Scroll Keeper

Elektra

May 1, 2012, 6:47:48 AM5/1/12
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hi -

> batmand is there
> batman-adv is not.

batman-adv is a kernel module, which should be already present on your Ubuntu machine. You can load it with "modprobe batman-adv". To control it, you have to install the batctl utility, i.e. perform "apt-get install batctl".

Note there are different versions of both the kernel module and the utility, as the developers are steadily working on improving batman-adv. You can always download the sources from http://open-mesh.net and compile the version you want to use / have to use to be compatible, if the version in Ubuntu just isn't what you want.

In case you don't have the necessary prerequisites installed to compile software / external kernel modules, "apt-get install build-essential" will install the necessary bits.

Cheers,
Elektra

VT ScrollKeeper

May 1, 2012, 7:04:19 AM5/1/12
to village-...@googlegroups.com
nice,

will batman or batman advance work with any wifi card or do i need s
special one.

Elektra

May 1, 2012, 12:31:55 PM5/1/12
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hi -

> will batman or batman advance work with any wifi card or do i need s
> special one.

the WiFi interface needs to operate stable in ad-hoc (peer-to-peer) mode. At the moment your best bet is a Atheros-based PCI or PCI-Express card with 802.11n support. Other cards probably also work, but might not be 100% stable. Unfortunately USB WiFi devices often have problems, stable ad-hoc support is firmware dependent. USB dongle firmware is usually closed source - which results in problems that can't be fixed by the open source community. Hardly any chipset manufacturer invests time and money into serious testing of WiFi devices in ad-hoc mode.

Cheers,
Elektra

Joe Bunefa

Jun 26, 2012, 8:37:34 PM6/26/12
to village-...@googlegroups.com
I have Engenius EOC5611P which i want to use as my supernode gateway. will this be OK and  can i flash batman on that too. Sorry, iam just trying to prepare more while waiting for my MPs to arrive next week. Also can batman be installed too.

Cheers,
joe

Song, Stephen

Jun 27, 2012, 2:21:28 AM6/27/12
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joe,

As Sjur said in the FB group.  If it runs OpenWRT, and it does appear to, then you should be able to install and configure batman-adv.  That should be 99% of what you need.

Cheers... Steve

Steve Song
http://manypossibilities.net
http://villagetelco.org

Joe Bunefa

Jun 27, 2012, 2:31:18 AM6/27/12
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Steve, iam currently out so i will be playing around tonight
with the device and let the forum know how iam going. Currently, iam
working around Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

cheers,
joe
Joe Bunefa
Manager
jbu...@isilinkit.com

IsiLinkIT Limited
P.O. Box 3593, BOROKO
NCD, Papua New Guinea
Ph: +675 3419333 / 3419332
B/Mob: +675 76043412
Digi/Mob: +675 71573839
Citifon: +675 6539021
Fax: +675 325 1825
Skype ID:  bunefaj
Authorised Agent & Partner for NComputing Inc/ Pactel / TrueCafe /Isi
Herbal/IsiCom
Papua New Guinea Desktop Virtualisation    - http://www.isilinkit.com
Papua New Guinea Online Shop                  - http://pngbilum.isilinkit.com

Elektra

Jun 27, 2012, 7:02:20 AM6/27/12
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joe -

the device has been discussed on the Openwrt mailing list in February:

https://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/openwrt-devel/2012-February/013866.html

Obviously the person submitting the patch had this device working.

I suppose it is working now with Openwrt trunk (development snapshot).

The device does not appear in the table of supported hardware on the Openwrt site yet. Which is fine, because the list is not necessarily in sync with the devices that are only supported by development snapshots. However, the chipsets (there are actually two) used in it are supported and RAM and flash are sufficient.

It is an interesting device and moderately priced for a dual band outdoor unit. So please let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
Elektra