How it works the telephone network?

guifipedro

Nov 4, 2016, 9:00:46 AM11/4/16
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I became interested in your project. A great one! Congrats!
Specially, due to your collaboration with librerouter (and libremesh firmware).

I read that this works with batman-advance with the network; ok,
batman-advance works out of the box with routing, internet access,
services, etc.

What about telephone network? Each node/antenna has an asterisk
service. How it's designed to work the telephone network?
I read there is a need of a sip proxy. This is out of scope of the
project? For example, given 20 nodes automatically connected, how can
I talk via telephone with node number 15, how I know it's number?
Numeration plan? Or only works with softphone?

You know, a lot of questions about this!

Thanks,
Pedro

Steve Song

Nov 4, 2016, 9:49:50 AM11/4/16
to Village Telco Dev
Hi Pedro,

Welcome!

On 4 November 2016 at 08:34, guifipedro <guifi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I became interested in your project. A great one! Congrats!
Specially, due to your collaboration with librerouter (and libremesh firmware).

I read that this works with batman-advance with the network; ok,
batman-advance works out of the box with routing, internet access,
services, etc.

Yes, one ethernet port (optionally both) and WiFi are bridged with batman-adv and the network works out of the box.

What about telephone network? Each node/antenna has an asterisk
service. How it's designed to work the telephone network?
I read there is a need of a sip proxy. This is out of scope of the
project? For example, given 20 nodes automatically connected, how can
I talk via telephone with node number 15, how I know it's number?
Numeration plan? Or only works with softphone?

Early on, we developed a simple asterisk dialplan hack that allows you to dial the last octet of the IP address of the MP2 you wish to reach and asterisk will initiate a call directly to that device.  Thus for small networks, there is no server required.  The dialplan hack actually works for full IP addresses too but we've never had a use case with more nodes than a class C subnet.

Optionally you can enable one of the MP2s on the network to be a local SIP server.  The advantage of this is that you can then register smartphones (connected via WiFi) on the network and dial between MP2s and smartphones.  Because of the limited capacity of the MP2, this is only intended for small networks.

The next step up would be to either connect each MP2 to an external VoIP provider which would give each device a proper DID making them accessible to the PSTN.  Alternatively, you could run your own Asterisk/Freeswitch appliance locally and gateway traffic to a VoIP provider.  The latter is of course a little more complicated in terms of managing DIDs etc but will give greater overall efficiency as the network grows.

Cheers... Steve

You know, a lot of questions about this!

Thanks,
Pedro

T Gillett

Nov 4, 2016, 9:51:29 AM11/4/16
to village-telco-dev

The network is peer to peer for MP devices with FXS fitted. There is no central sip server required.

Any node can call any other node by dialling its IP address (using * character for dot in IP)

For nodes on the same IP segment you can also just dial the last octet of the IP.

There is also support for devices with softphone app. One node is used as a sip host server for the softphones.

You can also place a call to an upstream SIP/VoIP service by dialling a prefix digit.