SIP/VOIP Registration on MP02 Phone

Adoss

Sep 3, 2014, 4:00:01 PM9/3/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I am struggling with trying to register my MP02 Phone with my Voip server. The directions appear simple enough, but can't seem to have any success.Currently I am using an Innomedia ATA device along with a POT to make calls and would like to switch to the MP02. I have read the User Guide, gone through the wiki and followed suggestions on this thread...NO LUCK! Can someone please help?

Thanks and regards.

T Gillett

Sep 3, 2014, 7:36:34 PM9/3/14
to village-telco-dev
Hi Adoss

What version of the MP02 Phone firmware are you using?
You should preferably be using the latest which is Alpha 3. this is shown at the top right of the SECN page as below:
       Firmware: Version: SECN-2.3-Alpha-1 MP02 12.09.1

***NOTE*** Please be aware that the MP02 Phone firmware is presently at Alpha status, and is intended for evaluation purposes, not for production use.
In particular, please exercise caution when using a VoIP provider where you have funds in an account, in order to avoid any possibility of abuse of the account.
It is strongly advised that you have set up a $ limit on any such account.

Registration for an upstream SIP/VoIP host can be done simply from the SECN Basic screen as per the attached screen shot.

Make sure the SIP Enable checkbox is ticked, and that the account credentials have been entered correctly. After entering or editing the fields, click on the Save button, and when the screen refreshes, click on the Restart Asterisk button.

It is obviously a requirement that the MP02 can access the Internet through some gateway device such as a modem/router in order to be able to connect to the VoIP host.

If the MP02 is able to access the Internet, the time/date shown in the top right of the SECN screen will be correct, otherwise it will show a dummy date like
"1 Jan 2014"

You can log on the the command line interface and check Internet access with a ping to Google or to your VoIP provider, although some provider hosts will not respond to ping.

You can also invoke the Asterisk console with "asterisk -vvvvrdddd" and then use commands like "sip show registry" to help debug.

A sample session is attached in the txt file.

If you have been through all the above and it still does not register, please document the details of your network (ie how the MP02 is connected to the Internet via a gateway device).

Regards
Terry

VoIP Registration.txt
VoIP-Registration.png

T Gillett

Sep 3, 2014, 8:15:48 PM9/3/14
to village-telco-dev
Hi Adoss

Apologies, I made a typo in my previous email.

The current firmware for the MP02-Phone is Alpha 6, which is available for download along with the md5sums file here:

    http://download.villagetelco.org/firmware/secn/unstable/mp02/SECN-2/MP02-Phone/Alpha6/

Regards
Terry

Adoss

Sep 5, 2014, 9:29:46 AM9/5/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Terry,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I am inexplicably still struggling with this and unsure which alpha version I am using. However, the configuration page tells me my firmware version is 2.0 Rc3d MP-02 r33887 (how do I tell which alpha this is?). I will have to study up on how to flash the device with the new hardware before I retry. As soon as I am able to I will inform you of any progress.

Thanks

Song, Stephen

Sep 5, 2014, 9:54:55 AM9/5/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Akin,

Can you tell us a little bit about the VoIP provider?  Perhaps you could send a screenshot from the configuration page of the Innomedia ATA?  With account details blacked out of course.

Cheers... Steve

T Gillett

Sep 5, 2014, 4:36:53 PM9/5/14
to village-telco-dev
Hi Akin

Can you confirm exactly which device you have please?

Is it the MP02 Phone model (with the RJ12 phone connector alongside the two RJ45 Ethernet connectors)?

If so, then that is not the correct firmware and the phone will not be working (eg no dial tone).

In any case, that is an older Release Candidate (RC) firmware and you should reflash it to either:

-  the MP02-Phone Alpha 6 firmware if it is a MP02 Phone model,
or to
-  the MP02 SECN 2.0 GA01 stable firmware if it is the MP02 Basic model.

Download the sysupgrade file and the md5sums file.

The easiest way to reflash the device is to go to the Advanced/Firmware configuration page and load the new firmware up through the web page.

It will ask you to select the firmware file, and to enter the MD5 checksum for the file. It will the load the file and check the MD5 before allowing you to proceed with the flash. After flashing, the device will have the default IP address of 10.130.1.20.
(When flashing, take the default option to NOT save settings)

Regards
Terry

Adoss

Sep 5, 2014, 8:27:57 PM9/5/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Steve,

Attached are screen shots of the configurations. I am the VoIP provider, using a hosted VPS.

Regards,
InnoMedia Configuration Screenshots.odt

Adoss

Sep 5, 2014, 8:46:50 PM9/5/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Terry,

Yes, it is the MP02 phone model with the 2 RJ45 and the RJ12 phone connector. (I do get a dial tone when I plug a phone into it, however).

I will follow your directions in re-flashing the devices and revert.

Regards,

T Gillett

Sep 6, 2014, 4:28:53 AM9/6/14
to village-telco-dev
Hi Akin

I am a bit surprised that you get dial tone (probably a hardware default condition), but that firmware has no support for the telephony functions of the FXS board, so you will have to install the SECN 2.1 Alpha6 firmware to make it work.

Once you get the new firmware installed you should be able to register with your SIP/VoIP host and make calls through the host.

To direct the calls through the host, you have to precede the required number by the 'dial out' digit which is # by default.

Regards
Terry

Adoss

Sep 6, 2014, 12:49:44 PM9/6/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Terry,

Somehow it appears I have screwed everything up! I can no longer access the configuration after attempting the firmware upgrade... Need guidance.

Thanks.

Adoss

Sep 6, 2014, 2:49:04 PM9/6/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Terry,

Firmware is upgraded - my previous attempt was with a Windows OS rather than Linux. Anyway, still unable to register the device. I am puzzled: if I am connected to the MP02 via ethernet cable in order to configure the VoIP, wouldn't I have to simultaneously connect to the internet in order to complete registering the device? Would I need to enable the WAN port to do this?

Thanks

T Gillett

Sep 6, 2014, 4:25:49 PM9/6/14
to village-telco-dev
Akin

Certainly the MP02 has to be connected to the Internet in order to be able to communicate with the upstream host.  So you need to get this working first.

By default, only the port marked LAN on the MP02 is operational when first flashed.
The WAN port will become operational if you enable Ethernet WAN mode, or if you set it up to be a LAN port.

I suggest that you do the second option to get going.

Go to the Advanced / WAN page and tick the box near the top of the page that sets the WAN/LAN to LAN. Save and restart.  You will now have two LAN ports working.

I assume for the following you have a local LAN set up with a modem/router that provides Internet access.

Connect your PC/Browser  to one port on the MP02, and connect the other to your local modem/router so that it can get access to the Internet.

Go to the Basic configuration page and click on the Test Internet button. It should display a status line showing the details of the DHCP server on your LAN.

So you now have to set up the MP02 to work on your LAN.

On the Basic page, set up an IP address for the MP02 which is in the same subnet as your modem/router, and set the LAN Gateway IP address to point to the modem/router IP. Save and restart.

The MP02 will now appear on the new IP address on your LAN, and should have Internet access through your modem/router.

A quick way to check is to look at the Time/Date field after restart to see if it has updated to the correct time/date. Of course you can click on the Test Internet button to check the status of Internet connection. You can also telnet or ssh to the MP02 to get a command line and ping Internet addresses, including your upstream SIP/VoIP host.

Once you have Internet access working as above, then you can try registering Asterisk to your SIP/VoIP host.

Regards
Terry

Adoss

Sep 7, 2014, 7:57:03 PM9/7/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Terry,

Registered! Now to make successful calls. Thanks for you patience and clear directions.

Regards

T Gillett

Sep 7, 2014, 7:58:57 PM9/7/14
to village-telco-dev

Adoss

Nov 1, 2014, 3:57:11 PM11/1/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

MP02 phone is registered with VOIP provider but unable to make calls. I can make calls within mesh network but not outside.

T Gillett

Nov 1, 2014, 5:39:26 PM11/1/14
to village-telco-dev

Just a sanity check, are you dialling the # prefix digit to dial out?

To see what is going on, open a terminal session and then start an Asterisk console with
  asterisk -vvvvvrddddd

Make calls on mesh and off mesh and post the results.

Also from the Aster console run
   sip show registry

Adoss

Nov 2, 2014, 5:40:34 AM11/2/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Yes I dial the # prefix.

here the results:

SIP screenshot.doc

T Gillett

Nov 2, 2014, 6:59:15 AM11/2/14
to village-telco-dev
OK So you can see that the outgoing call has caused a warning:
   "Unable to create channel of type SIP"

One cause of this error that I have seen in my own test set up is due to the MP02 being behind a second router (ie double NAT) and so Asterisk can not communicate properly with the SIP server.
(This is deliberate to force the use of the Asterisk NAT facility for testing).

This situation is what the Asterisk NAT setting on the SECN Advanced page is for.
(This set up is deliberate to force the use of the Asterisk NAT facility for testing).

You may have a different problem that is causing the error message, but I can explain how to fix this issue, and that may help you out.

Your network configuration may well be different, but causing the same issue, even if you only have only one router in place.

You may also have to check your router configuration to ensure that it is not blocking the SIP traffic that needs to flow between the MP02 and the upstream SIP provider.

To explain the use of "Asterisk NAT" settings:

In my set up I have a modem-router that provides my main LAN, which uses an IP address range of 192.168.1.x

Attached to my mainn LAN is the WAN port of a second router which is assigned an IP address of 192.168.113 on its WAN port.
The LAN side of this router operates an IP address range of 10.130.1.x and the MP02 is assigned an IP address in this range.

If I set up the credentials for my upstream SIP/VoIP provider on the MP02, it will register OK but will not make calls successfully.

To fix this, I check the "Enable Asterisk NAT" checkbox on the Advanced Page and enter the WAN address of the router that is hosting the MP02 (ie 192.168.1.113) into the "NAT External IP" field.

Save the new settings and check that they have been saved correctly, then click on the "Restart Asterisk" button.

After Asterisk restarts and the SIP provider has registered, I can then successfully make calls.

Hope this helps.

Adoss

Nov 2, 2014, 8:11:25 AM11/2/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Tried as you suggested, but no success -- presently, I have the "NAT External IP" same as the LAN IP on my laptop, which is also the same as the "LAN Gateway" on the MP.

My setup is a USB modem connected to my laptop to which I have a MP02 phone sharing its Ethernet port. Downstream from the MP02's WAN port (changed to LAN) I have connected an Innomedia ATA client which I presently use to make calls outside the mesh. I have thus far successfully make external calls with this arrangement. So, I know my router/provider is not blocking my traffic.

The whole idea is to replace this downstream ATA altogether with the MP02 phone.

Song, Stephen

Nov 2, 2014, 8:22:45 AM11/2/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hi both,

I was under the impression that when using the NAT and externip option, that the externip should be set to the outward facing public IP address that connects to your LAN i.e. the IP address you see when you visit

Cheers... Steve

Adoss

Nov 2, 2014, 1:05:23 PM11/2/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Tried this as well, Steve. it did not work.

Adoss

Nov 2, 2014, 1:36:06 PM11/2/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Attached is the latest correspondence with my VPS support:

It's better to contact the device support. Registration requests are coming
and replied, but it shows

On Sunday 02 November 2014 16:32:58 you wrote:
> Here it the output:
>

> MP2-23*CLI> sip show peer sipaccount
>

> * Name : sipaccount
> Secret : <Set>
> MD5Secret : <Not set>
> Remote Secret: <Not set>
> Context : incoming-vsp
> Subscr.Cont. : <Not set>
> Language :
> AMA flags : Unknown
> Transfer mode: open
> CallingPres : Presentation Allowed, Not Screened
> FromUser : 24829xxxxx
> FromDomain : sip.sonaktelecom.com Port 5060
> Callgroup :
> Pickupgroup :
> MOH Suggest :
> Mailbox :
> VM Extension : asterisk
> LastMsgsSent : 32767/65535
> Call limit : 0
> Max forwards : 0
> Dynamic : No
> Callerid : "" <55523>
> MaxCallBR : 384 kbps
> Expire : -1
> Insecure : port,invite
> Force rport : Yes
> ACL : No
> DirectMedACL : No
> T.38 support : No
> T.38 EC mode : Unknown
> T.38 MaxDtgrm: -1
> DirectMedia : Yes
> PromiscRedir : No
> User=Phone : No
> Video Support: No
> Text Support : No
> Ign SDP ver : No
> Trust RPID : No
> Send RPID : No
> Subscriptions: Yes
> Overlap dial : No
> DTMFmode : rfc2833
> Timer T1 : 500
> Timer B : 32000
> ToHost : sip.sonaktelecom.com
> Addr->IP : 192.95.xx.xxx:5060
> Defaddr->IP : (null)
> Prim.Transp. : UDP
> Allowed.Trsp : UDP
> Def. Username: 24829xxxxx
> SIP Options : (none)
> Codecs : 0xe (gsm|ulaw|alaw)
> Codec Order : (ulaw:20,alaw:20,gsm:20)
> Auto-Framing : No
> Useragent :
> Reg. Contact :
> Qualify Freq : 60000 ms
> Sess-Timers : Accept
> Sess-Refresh : uas
> Sess-Expires : 1800 secs
> Min-Sess : 90 secs
> RTP Engine : asterisk
> Parkinglot :
> Use Reason : No
> Encryption : No
>
> > doing dnsmgr_lookup for 'sip.sonaktelecom.com'
> > doing dnsmgr_lookup for 'sip.sonaktelecom.com'
>
> MP2-23*CLI>

T Gillett

Nov 2, 2014, 5:22:50 PM11/2/14
to village-telco-dev
Steve

It depends on the network arrangement. In my double NAT arrangement it has to be the WAN side IP address of the second router.

In a single NAT arrangement it is not needed at all (at least with my particular main router, which happens to be a VoIP router itself) ie the MP02 works fine if attached to my main LAN with no Asterisk NAT enabled.

Adoss' arrangement is interesting in that the laptop will have a real public IP address on its WAN port (driven by the USB modem), then is doing NAT in order to provide the MP02 with a private IP address.

Just what the laptop Internet sharing / NAT arrangement does to the traffic is interesting to speculate on, but the fact that the other ATA works downstream indicates that it is basically working OK.

Adoss

Two things:

1. Is it possible that the other ATA is using STUN to overcome the NAT issue?

2. Can you test the MP02 in a conventional LAN somewhere just to make sure it is working OK with your SIP provider?

Regards
Terry

Adoss

Nov 3, 2014, 8:28:16 AM11/3/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Yaaay! I am happy to report that it has all come together -- as it was intended!!

With the USB dongle plugged directly into the MP02 phone (and following the instructions previously discussed in this thread) I am able to, now, register with the SIP/VoIP server and make calls. Further, I am able to use the MP as an access point for all my "smart" devices. For added drama, the setup as gone through one of the regular power outages and rebooted with all functions intact.

Thank you all for your prompt and valuable inputs.

Steve Song

Nov 3, 2014, 8:42:18 AM11/3/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Glad to hear it!  If you have any suggestions about how we could help people avoid this problem in future, we'd love to hear them.

Cheers... Steve

Adoss

Nov 3, 2014, 1:46:17 PM11/3/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com, st...@villagetelco.org
Well...guess I exhaled a bit too soon on this one. I am mystified by what is transpiring. The internet remains stable with the MP02 phone as AP. However, now I am unable to make outside calls, once again. I get the "quick" busy tones. With the USB, I don't think NAT is could be the issue, correct? Also, I am able plug my ATA into the LAN port of a second MP02 phone that is connected over wireless to the mesh and get to make calls.

T Gillett

Nov 3, 2014, 3:24:03 PM11/3/14
to village-telco-dev

So was it working and then stopped working?

Run the Asterisk console and watch what is happening when you  make the call.

Adoss

Nov 3, 2014, 3:55:46 PM11/3/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com, st...@villagetelco.org
Got it working again after I switching off all other MPs I had turned on after getting it to work the first time. Seem to be some interference from those MPs...puzzled by that. Perhaps someone can shed some light on why that is the case. Could it have to do with (not) setting a device as "server" and others as "clients"?

As I was about to post the first paragraph, I lost my internet. So I rebooted the MP. However, I lost the ability to make outside calls after that. I then restarted Asterisk and was able to make outside calls again. Not sure what exactly is happening. I will keep setup as is presently till tomorrow to observe if things remain the same. Subsequently, if everything remains okay, I will turn on additional devices to see what happens.

Steve Song

Nov 3, 2014, 3:58:34 PM11/3/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com
I would check each MP to make sure you don't have a duplicate SIP account set up or perhaps even a duplicate IP address on one of the MPs.

Regards... Steve
On Mon Nov 03 2014 at 16:55:47 Adoss <akin...@gmail.com> wrote:
Got it working again after I switching off all other MPs I had turned on after getting it to work the first time. Seem to be some interference from those MPs...puzzled by that. Perhaps someone can shed some light on why that is the case. Could it have to do with (not) setting a device as "server" and others as "clients"?

As I was about to post the first paragraph, I lost my internet. So I rebooted the MP. However, I lost the ability to make outside calls after that. I then restarted Asterisk and was able to make outside calls again. Not sure what exactly is happening. I will keep setup as is presently till tomorrow to observe if things remain the same. Subsequently, if everything remains okay, I will turn on additional devices to see what happens.

Adoss

Nov 3, 2014, 4:32:16 PM11/3/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com, st...@villagetelco.org
I have setup the SIP on only one MP thus far and all MPs have static IPs with no duplicates. However, it appears my internet has become quite unstable as the evening as worn on and keeps dropping.

T Gillett

Nov 3, 2014, 4:48:56 PM11/3/14
to village-telco-dev
Adoss

It might be worth just running the MP02 with the USB modem just as a simple AP/router/modem to check that the internet connection itself is stable.  Disable the mesh and Asterisk for the test.

Terry

Adoss

Nov 5, 2014, 3:00:17 PM11/5/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Each time I uncheck "enable asterisk" and save, it remains checked after saving! I can't seem to disable it.

T Gillett

Nov 5, 2014, 6:11:05 PM11/5/14
to village-telco-dev
If you have enabled SIP provider support on the Basic page, then Asterisk will be enabled and will over ride the Asterisk Enable setting on the Advanced page.

Go to the Basic page and uncheck the 'SIP Enable' checkbox.

This should clear the Asterisk Enable checkbox on the Advanced page.

Adoss

Nov 7, 2014, 9:10:49 AM11/7/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Disabled SIP, Asterisk and mesh. Internet in and out sporadically yesterday. Today much worse -- can't seem to stay on. Had to reboot device several times to get internet back on (off now, yet again; had to put the stick back in the laptop).

T Gillett

Nov 7, 2014, 4:04:06 PM11/7/14
to village-telco-dev
Hi Adoss

Could you capture the output of the 'dmesg' and 'logread' commands to see what is going on please?

Leave all the other services (mesh, Asterisk etc) disabled and start the device up, then capture the outputs once it has finished booting and connecting to the internet via the modem.

Then capture the outputs again as soon as possible after the modem drops out.

Please use Pastebin to post the log outputs.

Regards
Terry

Song, Stephen

Nov 7, 2014, 4:07:36 PM11/7/14
to village-telco-dev
Just a side note.  Please post logs (and any long output) to http://pastebin.com and put the pastebin links in your message.  Not only does this keep emails more readable but pastebin can also make logs more readable.

Cheers... Steve

Adoss

Nov 8, 2014, 2:49:00 PM11/8/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Terry,

There does not appear to be any improvement in connectivity.

Below are the links to the test results with and without internet:

Regards

T Gillett

Nov 8, 2014, 6:05:09 PM11/8/14
to village-telco-dev
Hi Adoss

In the logread output you can see the modem making the connection as the chat script is executed as below.  It seems to be connecting quite OK.

I suggest that you run the the device for a period of time to capture a loss of modem connection event, then grab the logread and dmesg outputs. They should show what is happening as the connection is lost and that may give us a clue as to what is happening.

Regards
Terry

  1. Nov  8 11:24:08 MP2-23 daemon.info pppd[17773]: Serial connection established.
  2. Nov  8 11:24:08 MP2-23 daemon.info pppd[17773]: Using interface 3g-wan
  3. Nov  8 11:24:08 MP2-23 daemon.notice pppd[17773]: Connect: 3g-wan <--> /dev/ttyU
  4. SB2
  5. Nov  8 11:24:12 MP2-23 daemon.warn pppd[17773]: Could not determine remote IP ad
  6. dress: defaulting to 10.64.64.64
  7. Nov  8 11:24:12 MP2-23 daemon.notice pppd[17773]: local  IP address 10.103.222.5
  8. 5
  9. Nov  8 11:24:12 MP2-23 daemon.notice pppd[17773]: remote IP address 10.64.64.64
  10. Nov  8 11:24:12 MP2-23 daemon.notice pppd[17773]: primary   DNS address 8.8.8.8
  11. Nov  8 11:24:12 MP2-23 daemon.notice pppd[17773]: secondary DNS address 8.8.4.4
  12. Nov  8 11:24:12 MP2-23 daemon.notice netifd: Interface 'wan' is now up

Adoss

Nov 9, 2014, 12:08:23 PM11/9/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Terry,

Not sure I did this correctly (did not capture all of "dmesg"; not versed in how to print reports one page at a time), but I printed the report right after internet was lost.

Dmesg

Logread

Akin