Bringing affordable communications to communities in South Africa: Zenzeleni Networks 23rd @UWC

Carlos Rey-Moreno

Sep 21, 2015, 4:28:20 PM9/21/15
to village-telco-dev
Hi all,

I forgot to share this is in the list before. In case anyone is in Cape Town, on Wednesday we are organizing this event below. I think it is of special interest to the South African colleagues the presentation from Dominic Cull about how to fit Village Telcos in the South African regulatory framework.

Hope you can come and please share with anyone you think might be interested,

best,

carlos

----
Zenzeleni Networks Mankosi is the result of a partnership between the Mankosi community, in one of the most disadvantaged areas of the Eastern Cape, and the University of the Western Cape (UWC) that aims to create a model for the sustainable implementation of bottom-up local telcos in rural communities in South Africa to reduce the cost of communications for its dwellers. A proof of concept is running in Mankosi since 2012.

In this event the results from the multidisciplinar research team from UWC working on the project will be discussed first. Then, the steps taken to translate them and make them available to a larger audience, and the process initiated to replicate them elsewhere will be presented by partner organizations.

Date: 23rd September 2015
Venue: Library Auditorium,  University of the Western Cape

12:15 / 13:45 - Multidisciplinary insights from UWC researchers
13:45 / 14:15 - Tea Break
14:15 / 15:45 - Present and future of Zenzeleni Networks outside academia
15:45 / 17:00 - Snacks and refreshments

The detailed program is accessible here

Join us and help us disseminating the event. Every community should know they can provide themselves with affordable communications!
--
Carlos Rey-Moreno
Department of Computer Science

phakamani mavela

Sep 21, 2015, 8:46:06 PM9/21/15
to Village Telco Development Community
Hi Carlos,

Thanks for the heads up. Does one need to RSVP at all for the event?

Carlos Rey-Moreno

Sep 22, 2015, 1:42:15 AM9/22/15
to village-telco-dev
Hi Phakamami,

no, no need to RSVP, and no entrance fee.

carlos

On 22 September 2015 at 02:46, phakamani mavela <phakama...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Carlos,

Thanks for the heads up. Does one need to RSVP at all for the event?

Carlos Rey-Moreno
Research Assistant
Office 1.28

Department of Computer Science
University of the Western Cape
Private Bag X17 - Bellville, 7535
Cape Town - South Africa
Tel: +27 (0) 21 959 2562 Cel: +27 (0) 76 986 3633
Skype: carlos.reymoreno Twitter: Creym

T Gillett

Sep 22, 2015, 1:47:01 AM9/22/15
to village-telco-dev

Hi Carlos
If there is any documentation available from this presentation would you send it to me and I will post it up so others on the list can have a look.
Regards
Terry

Pascal Laurent

Sep 22, 2015, 5:22:21 AM9/22/15
to village-...@googlegroups.com
That's a wonderful idea Terry.
I'm interesting to know how the network is put together, how it is currently been used, and the impact it has on the community. What are some of the issues we are confronting with, and how do we plan to address these concerns. I wish I could attend...May be we could  record the presentation and posted it on youtube. Thanks