Questions.

Dante Torres

Oct 5, 2015, 10:26:07 PM10/5/15
to Village Telco Development Community
good evening.
Sunday install a total of 8 units of "Mesh Potato 2.0 - Phone w / external antenna." The firmware version is 2.1, can use NS2 to increase the reach of this network? and software monitor is right for this network?
Captura.JPG
IMG_20151003_121134.jpg
IMG_20151003_142447.jpg
IMG_20151003_153716.jpg

Carlos Martinez

Oct 6, 2015, 8:32:22 AM10/6/15
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Dante
NS2 worked well for VT firmware. However we have not had the same experience with SECN 1.0. First It was very hard to instal Batmand adv and we do not know if we have compatibility problems.
What else do Village Telco recommend for gateway/Supernode?
Regards,
Carlos

good evening.
Sunday install a total of 8 units of "Mesh Potato 2.0 - Phone w / external antenna." The firmware version is 2.1, can use NS2 to increase the reach of this network? and software monitor is right for this network?

Carlos Eugenio Martínez Cruz
Escuela de Ingeniería Eléctrica
Universidad de El Salvador

Steve Song

Oct 6, 2015, 8:42:43 AM10/6/15
to Village Telco Dev
Hi Dante.,

First let me say I really like the enclosure you found for the MP2.  It is available on the Internet?

The Nanostation is a good choice for a supernode.  While OpenWrt can be compiled for many devices, we have chosen to focus on Ubiquiti and TP-Link the former for optimal price/performance for outdoor Wifi and the latter for sheer affordability.  TP-Link make one outdoor device but it really isn't as good as a Nanostation.  The only thing to be careful of is the latest versions of the AirOS firmware which has changed the bootloader.  Reverting to an older version of AirOS prior to installing OpenWrt should avert this problem.  More about it below.

What did you have in mind with regard to network monitoring?

Cheers... Steve

The following note is taken from the OpenWrt Table of Hardware page for Ubiquity AirMax M devices.

In summary, if you flash a Ubiquity XM device manufactured after July 2015 with OpenWrt you **WILL** brick the device!!

Special Firmware Note:
----------------------
AirOS XM.v5.5.X images used U-Boot 1.1.4.2-s594 (Dec 5 2012 - 15:23:07).

The OpenWRT image can be successfully flashed onto these versions of firmware.

However, in July 2015 Ubiquiti released a new version of firmware XM.v5.6.X.
With this firmware a new U-Boot version was released, U-Boot 1.1.4.2-s956 (Jun 10 2015 - 10:54:50).
The newer U-Boot version changes the memory size and starting address for rootfs, cfg, and EEPROM.

If the device has XM.v5.6.X, an older version of XM firmware can be loaded from the AirOS webgui (for example XM.v5.5.10) and U-Boot will be overwritten with the older version. OpenWRT can then be loaded onto the device successfully.

T Gillett

Oct 6, 2015, 6:13:15 PM10/6/15
to village-telco-dev
Carlos, Steve

You need to be careful about NanoStations as there are two different devices that commonly go by that name.

The device you want for use with SECN software is the newer NanoStation-M2, rather than the original NanoStation (aka NS2) which is still being sold, and thus creating some confusion.

The NanoStation-M2 is based on the AR71xx type chipset whereas the NanoStation is based on the older AR31xx type chipset.

The older Nanostation (NS2) was used with original VT firmware, as used on the original Mesh Potato MP1 device.

SECN firmware is only available for the newer NanoStation-M2 device.

If you order Ubiquity devices from distributors, be careful to specify the NanoStation M2 device, otherwise you may end up getting the older NS2 devices, as has happened a few time to members of the VT community.

Steve's comments about flashing Ubiquity devices is vital to understand before you attempt to change the firmware.

I recommend that new devices are flashed with a standard OpenWrt image following the procedures outlined in the OpenWrt wiki pages. Once that image is installed, then you have some safeguards against subsequent bad flashes eg the OpenWrt Failsafe mechanism. It is then easy to flash SECN firmware from the LuCI Firmware Upgrade page.

I also recommend that you use SECN 3 firmware by default as it is based on the OpenWrt BB release which has many improvements in the WiFi area, including the work from CeroWrt  (http://www.bufferbloat.net/news/53)

SECN 2 is based on OpenWrt AA. Thus it is deprecated, no longer actively supported, and is only intended for use in networks where compatibility with MP1 devices is required.

Regards
Terry

Dante Torres

Oct 6, 2015, 7:42:47 PM10/6/15
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Steve
We need software such as SPUD, to perform maintenance on nodes out of service.

Terry
Ok thanks for the information. The firmware of the MP02 is version 2.1, using the Nano Station M2 with firmware version 3 would have to update the firmware of the MP02? or there is compatibility?

Xavier Alexandro Torres Amaya

T Gillett

Oct 6, 2015, 8:31:20 PM10/6/15
to village-telco-dev
Hi Dante

SECN 2 is based on OpenWrt AA and the associated version of batman-adv which is *not* forward compatible with the version used with Openwrt BB and SECN 3.

So you will need to use the same version of SECN on all the nodes in the network.

I recommend moving to SECN 3 if possible because of the improvements to the wifi operation in BB and also because the version of batman-adv used is compatible with SECN 4 (based on OpenWrt CC) going forward.

So it is possible to run SECN 3 and SECN 4 devices on the same mesh, which makes it easy to do rolling upgrades.

The batman-adv developers have undertaken to maintain this forward compatibility for some time.

But unfortunately SECN 2 is an orphan.

Regards
Terry

nkosana mkhabela

Oct 7, 2015, 7:15:11 AM10/7/15
to village-...@googlegroups.com

Good day team I'm interested in buying a website and hosting server...any help?

Steve Song

Oct 7, 2015, 7:31:16 AM10/7/15
to Village Telco Dev
HI Dante,

On 6 October 2015 at 23:42, Dante Torres <amay...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks Steve
We need software such as SPUD, to perform maintenance on nodes out of service.

SPUD is ok but has not been updated in a long time.  I would recommend using something that has more mainstream support.  Nagios, Munin, LibreNMS are popular network management tools that work with any Internet network.  For tools more specifically oriented to the batman-adv mesh, I would look at Libremap or Nodeshot or Nodewatcher

I have not found any of them to be particularly straightforward to install unfortunately so I tend to fall back on more traditional network monitoring tools like the one mentioned above.

Regards... Steve

Steve Song

Oct 7, 2015, 7:32:16 AM10/7/15
to Village Telco Dev
Hi Nkosana,

This is not particularly relevant to Village Telco.  Why not write to me at st...@villagetelco.org and I will do my best to help.

Cheers... Steve

Dante Torres

Oct 12, 2015, 10:40:41 PM10/12/15
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Steve
Ok, thank you very much start with research.