Connect OpenWRT Router to a Mesh Potato Network

Adner Verdecia López

Aug 29, 2017, 8:28:28 AM8/29/17
to Village Telco Development Community

 Hello, i'm testing the SECN 5 on a MR 3040 V2 and a AR150 routers and they work great. My question is: Can i use other Router with Openwrt and connect to that mesh network?

T Gillett

Aug 29, 2017, 9:45:01 AM8/29/17
to village-telco-dev
Hi

Please be aware that SECN 5 is very incomplete as yet.  SECN 4 is complete and stable.

To mesh another router, you will need to install the batman-adv and batctl packages and configure with the same mesh parameters ie SSID and BSSID.

Regards
Terry

On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 2:01 PM, Adner Verdecia López <adn...@gmail.com> wrote:

 Hello, i'm testing the SECN 5 on a MR 3040 V2 and a AR150 routers and they work great. My question is: Can i use other Router with Openwrt and connect to that mesh network?

Adner Verdecia López

Adner Verdecia López

T Gillett

Aug 29, 2017, 4:31:15 PM8/29/17
to village-telco-dev

SECN 4 uses adhoc interface for the mesh and SECN 5 uses meshpoint interface. So they are not compatible on a mesh.

Also SECN 5 is based on LEDE / OpenWrt DD and the base firmware has grown since the earlier versions to the extent that it is too large to run on devices with only 4Mb of flash memory if you include the necessary packages like batman-adv.

So there is no SECN 5 firmware for the smaller devices.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/village-telco-dev/5bedc729-48ba-4197-9db3-08807ab09a49%40googlegroups.com.

Adner Verdecia López

Sep 1, 2017, 12:08:26 PM9/1/17
to Village Telco Development Community
Hi, what option i need define in OpenWRT? and if i need to use the IP Range 10.130.1.X on the LAN Interface on the OpenWRT Router. I'm pretty new with mesh networks :)
Thanks

T Gillett

Sep 1, 2017, 2:16:07 PM9/1/17
to village-telco-dev

Network parameters are defined in the file /etc/config/network

You can edit the file manually or use the LuCI graphical interface.

On 02/09/2017 2:08 AM, "Adner Verdecia López" <adn...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi, what option i need define in OpenWRT? and if i need to use the IP Range 10.130.1.X on the LAN Interface on the OpenWRT Router. I'm pretty new with mesh networks :)
Thanks

Adner Verdecia López

T Gillett

Sep 1, 2017, 6:03:38 PM9/1/17
to village-telco-dev
The IP address of the router is used primarily to access the administration interface of the device, either via LuCI, command line or SECN.

It does not affect the operation of the mesh itself as the mesh operates at OSI Level 2, ie it is independent of Level 3 settings such as IP address.

The mesh can carry data in many IP ranges at the same time.

However, it is a common practice to have all the nodes operating in the same IP range just for convenience for accessing the administration interfaces.

If you are using SECN on MP02 devices fitted with the FXS telephony board, then those nodes need to be in the same IP address range in order to use abbreviated dialling between devices.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/village-telco-dev/f9af6f35-3ade-461c-be12-213b82984bf8%40googlegroups.com.

Adner Verdecia López

Sep 2, 2017, 8:50:04 PM9/2/17
to Village Telco Development Community
Thanks for the Information! i will post the result! Greetings

Adner Verdecia López

T Gillett

Oct 3, 2017, 6:56:57 AM10/3/17
to village-telco-dev

Both SECN 4 and SECN 5 use batman adv as the mesh protocol ie neither uses 802.11s protocol.

In SECN 5, the wireless interface used is meshpoint, which is the same as used for 802.11s. But it is only the interface that is used and not the whole protocol.

If you are just starting out with mesh networks, I suggest that you install SECN 4 firmware on your devices.

There is currently no additional functionality in SECN 5 over SECN 4, and it is incomplete in  couple of areas. Also it will not install on the smaller devices with 4MB of flash memory.

SECN 5 is only for developmental use at this point as we have been waiting for some developments to be completed in LEDE before we can complete the SECN firmware.
I anticipate that this work will be done in November.

Regards
Terry

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/village-telco-dev/42804710-7be4-40c6-8a9e-58bac3417d6d%40googlegroups.com.