Fwd: MR3020(UN) issue

T Gillett

Oct 24, 2017, 6:08:47 PM10/24/17
to village-telco-dev
Hi All

The following thread from the LibraryBox forum highlights the issue around commodity routers now being shipped in a form that can not be re-flashed with OpenWrt / LEDE firmware.

It seems that there may be only minor changes to the version numbers to designate the new restricted devices.

Buyer beware!

Regards
Terry

On Wednesday, October 25, 2017 at 2:41:05 AM UTC+10, David wrote:
Hello Bob,

Yes, it's written under the barcodes on the router and on the sticker under the box.

Best regards,
David

Le 24 oct. 2017 18:12, "Bob Braswell" <tzb...@gmail.com> a écrit :
David, I just last week (mid-Oct 2017) purchased a MR3020 from Amazon.com. When I tried flashing openwrt I got exactly the same results as you report below. The packaging did not give any clue that it was MR3020(UN) instead of MR3020, but I suspect this must be the case based on the results, unless you advise me differently. Is there any obvious marking on the MR3020(UN) or is the result of trying to flash openwrt the only way to tell which they sent me?

thanks,

Bob

On Tuesday, September 26, 2017 at 12:41:12 AM UTC-5, David wrote:

Hello,

I've made more than 100 Librabybox with MR3020 for my company but my dealer have got now a new version (?) of the router : MR3020(UN) and it's now impossible for me to install openwrt.

Same firmware number.
Same harware number.

But after flashing openwrt the router don't start, even in failsafe mode, power and WPS/reset lights are on and... nothing more !

Any idea please ?

Steve Song

Oct 25, 2017, 7:57:18 AM10/25/17
to Village Telco Dev
Hi Terry,

That is curious in the light of the FCC decision in 2016 which obliges TP-Link to allow third party firmwares on their devices.

But on closer reading, perhaps it only applies to 5GHz devices?

Cheers... Steve