Re: [vt-dev] USB as a file share under fat32 and NTFS

T Gillett

Nov 17, 2014, 11:25:23 PM11/17/14
to village-telco-dev
Hi Wayne

There are two ways to share files from the MP02.

1. The openssh-sftp-server package is installed which supports secure ftp.

From a Ubuntu machine you can use the Nautilus file browser 'Connect to Server' menu to point to the IP address of the MP and select 'Type' of SSH. Add login credentials eg for the root account.

This will open a window in Nautilus and let you browse the file system on the MP just like any file system on disc or USB. Read and Write operations are supported.

From Windows you would use an application like WinSCP to do the same thing.

However there is no support for Samba or the like which allows Windows to directly browse a Linux file system from Explorer, due mainly to the resource constraints on the MP to install and run the Samba software.

2. An appropriately labelled USB stick installed on the MP02 will be mapped into the /www directory allowing users to browse the file system on the USB stick with a web browser.
This is set up in /etc/config/fstabs and the default setting is:

config 'mount'
option 'target' '/www/websites2'
option 'label' 'WEBSITES'
option 'fstype' 'vfat'

So if your FAT16/32 formatted USB is labelled WEBSITES, it will appear in a browser pointed to:

     <MP-IP-address>/websites2

This is read only access and users can download the files in the normal way.

Double clicking on a file will launch the default application for the file type eg a picture viewer for a .jpg file.

Keep in mind that the MP02 is a very small machine, so don't expect to be able to support large numbers of users wanting to download file simultaneously.

regards
Terry

On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 1:53 PM, wgibbons52 <wgibb...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi I have MP02 (phone) with wildernets. How can I access a USB drive for file sharing that is set up with Fat32 or NTFS please? The device sees the drive but I cannot access. Not interested in webserver or social media but ordinary USB as a file sharing device on the net. My users are in a windows environment.

wayne optus

Nov 18, 2014, 3:07:09 AM11/18/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com

Thanks, Will try both.

cheers

Keith Williamson

Nov 18, 2014, 9:59:43 AM11/18/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

@Terry: Thanks for helping out!

Just one minor change is that I have changed the mount point from /www/webmain2 (SECN firmware) to /www/webmain (WNETS firmware). However, the change is transparent from a usage point of view.

Cheers,

Keith