Name changing

Tim Fox

Oct 6, 2011, 12:00:40 PM10/6/11
to nodex-dev
I think it's pretty certain we're going to rename node.x.

Node.js is a trademark and I don't want us to risk infringing that.
Also I want us to be good neighbours with the node.js folks, and not
piss anyone off.

It's better we rename now while exposure is low, rather than be forced
into changing later on when it would be more of an upheaval.

The new name is still open to suggestions, but I'm thinking vert.x is
the front-runner.

We still have the .x which represents the polyglot nature of the
project, and of course vertex is another name for a node.

Comments? Any more ideas welcome :)

Michael Bridgen

Oct 6, 2011, 12:03:30 PM10/6/11
to node...@googlegroups.com
> The new name is still open to suggestions, but I'm thinking vert.x is
> the front-runner.
>
> We still have the .x which represents the polyglot nature of the
> project, and of course vertex is another name for a node.
>
> Comments? Any more ideas welcome :)

I always liked vert.x too.

Erdi Çallı

Oct 6, 2011, 2:06:16 PM10/6/11
to node...@googlegroups.com

vert.x sounds cool..

Vijay Lakshminarayanan

Oct 6, 2011, 11:30:19 PM10/6/11
to node...@googlegroups.com
Erdi Çallı <erdi...@gmail.com> writes:

> vert.x sounds cool..

+1

Cheers
~vijay

rafael...@gmail.com

Oct 7, 2011, 6:25:44 AM10/7/11
to node...@googlegroups.com
+1 for vert.x

Tim Fox

Oct 7, 2011, 2:28:54 PM10/7/11
to nodex
It looks like we'll have to delay the rename for the a while so the
lawyers can put it through the sausage machine.

Tim Fox

Oct 11, 2011, 2:27:19 AM10/11/11
to nodex
vert.x has been approved :)

I think we may as well rename it ASAP. For those with yet-to-be-merged
forks, this may cause you a few headaches, but I'm not sure what else
we can do. Sorry!

Tim Fox

Oct 11, 2011, 6:13:36 AM10/11/11
to vert.x
And.. the name change is complete :)

I have left a placeholder empty github project called node.x which
just links to the renamed project.

The google group and IRC channel has been renamed, as have any
references in the wiki pages