How to link bugs and issues to actual tests in VersionOne

Erri Javola

Aug 29, 2014, 7:35:14 AM8/29/14
to versiono...@googlegroups.com
We are using VersionOne currently with stories and tasks, but now our test department wants to use it as testing tool. I know that issue and defect can be linked to the story, but the functionality our testers now are looking for is that they would like to link defect or issue straight to the test they are executing. The functionality to just link defects and issues to the story is not enough because they can have several tests they would like to perform with the story and they would like to know exactly which test failed and why.
So has anyone faced the same challenge and do you have any idea how to do it (other than write the information in the text fields of the test or issue/defect)?

John.Ai...@mitchell1.com

Sep 11, 2014, 6:01:52 PM9/11/14
to versiono...@googlegroups.com

Erri,

We have used VersionOne for some time.

Defects and Stories allow Tests as artifacts (see in the Manage Relations view on the Details for either); Issues do not.  Issues can be converted to Defects or Stories however then at that point, being more actionable, Tests can be added.

For us if we don’t have a failing Test from a prior Story we consider it a new Story; that is the Test (Given/When/Then criteria) of course was not previously defined so not coded for and so that explains why the desired results are not seen.  If we do have a regression, that is a Test that passed no longer does, we have a Defect and just reference the failed Test.  Running the Regression Suite the Test is in, or adding it to one (if we previously thought this was not a Test worth worrying about regressing) and running it - we validate it is once again working.

Regards, John

Mitchell 1John Ainsworth
Mitchell 1
Sr. Software Manager

facebook

 Toll Free: (888) 724-6742 ext. 6025 | Phone: (858) 391-5000 ext. 6025

facebook

john.ai...@mitchell1.com | www.mitchell1.com

facebookgoogle+TwitterYou Tube

The information contained in this message is intended only for the personal and confidential use by the recipient(s) named above. This message is deemed to be privileged and confidential.  If the reader is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this message in error and that any review, dissemination or copying of such is strictly prohibited. Accordingly, please notify the sender and delete from your system immediately.