Two projects in 1 sprint, w 1 story board, but 2 project burndown and velocities

areagan...@gmail.com

Sep 23, 2015, 4:20:41 PM9/23/15
to VersionOne-users
We have two "projects" running at one time for our team. Each project has its own release planning and burn down charts. However, the team works the stories together within the same sprint.  The issue is we have to have two sprints open in order to have accurate burn down charts. What we do now is, I create a new sprint in both project A and B.  Then I move all stories from project B into project A for the sprint. This allows the developers to work from one team room/story board.  Then before I close the sprint I move the stories from project B backlog back to the project B.  Then close those two sprints.  This seems like so much work.  I would love to be able to have two projects in one sprint.  Anyone know how to do this?

Example
Project A is a very big initiative
Project B is a small misc. projects, enhancements and compliance items.

We work each sprint under a 80/20 rule.  We work 80% project A, 20% project B.

So if our current velocity is 30.  We work 24 points from the project A and 6 points from project B (give or take).

If I move those 6 points into the sprint for project A, it can look like we had scope creep. But really those stories are unrelated to project A.

I want to run reports for project A without it counting stories from project B.

Jeff Cox

Sep 23, 2015, 4:47:46 PM9/23/15
to versiono...@googlegroups.com

Try using the “Program” feature, if you have Enterprise or Ultimate edition.

Create a program the contains both projects .

Select that to see the combined effort.  Select the specific project to see the narrower view.

I THINK that would work for you.

Jerry Odenwelder

Oct 24, 2015, 10:52:06 AM10/24/15
to VersionOne-users
While not ideal, I have worked with teams that needed to pull work from separate backlogs for similar reasons.  We solved the problem by using the same Sprint Schedule on both projects and putting both projects under a common node in the project tree (wee could have used a Program, but nothing prevented us from moving them).  The Team Room is configured to for the common project node and the common sprint schedule.  We didn't need to move stories between projects and we had the flexibility to plan each project backlog separately or together (i.e. ranking work with-in a Sprint).  If you are interested in a demonstration on how we solved this, please send a message to VersionOne support.