VersionOne SDK running on a server for a network that uses SSO

Anthony Esposito

Jul 29, 2014, 10:19:00 AM7/29/14
to version...@googlegroups.com
After heavily modifying the APIClientSSOExtensions to get it the API to work properly with the our SSO, I was happy to finally get the VersionOne Java SDK working.

Unfortunately, the plugin I am developing will be running on a server which will not have SSO credentials for our v1host.  While being able to authenticate with SSO is great for the purposes of development and testing, this route will be problematic when it is time to deploy.

So, how can I deploy this server-side plugin?  Is there any way?

Thanks.

Acey Bunch

Aug 11, 2014, 7:28:27 AM8/11/14
to version...@googlegroups.com
Normally the answer would be to use OAuth, however the Java API Client has not yet been updated to make use of it.

Would it be possible to use a Properties file setting to control which authentication method that gets used?

Something like: authenticationMode={BASIC|WINDOWS|SSO}

This way you could check that configuration to see which method to use for establishing a connection to V1.

Anthony Esposito

Aug 13, 2014, 12:34:15 PM8/13/14
to version...@googlegroups.com
We are not using OAuth though, we are using SAML SSO.

As per your idea for switching authenticationMode, I was under the impression that using basic authentication was impossible.  As per this link, VersionOne states themselves that "Once SAML SSO is enabled, all clients must use either SAML SSO or OAuth2 for authentication to the API endpoints."  Additionally, my attempts to access the API on an out-of-network computer using correct credentials failed (and my in-network basic authentication attempts fail as well).

So, is there any way to use the API on our server through our SAML SSO enabled v1host besides making an account for that server which has SSO access?

Thanks.

Acey Bunch

Aug 14, 2014, 8:45:14 AM8/14/14
to version...@googlegroups.com
Understood.

Unfortunately since the Java API Client does currently support OAuth, you will need to create an account for the sever to use with SSO.

Acey Bunch

Aug 14, 2014, 8:47:52 AM8/14/14
to version...@googlegroups.com
Correction...meant to say that the Java API Client does not currently support OAuth.

Anthony Esposito

Oct 27, 2014, 1:29:48 PM10/27/14
to version...@googlegroups.com
Okay, then about about this:

Is there a single language that has V1 API support for use with SAML SSO?  I can rewrite this for any language, I just want it to get the functionality of the REST API.

Thanks.

Acey Bunch

Oct 27, 2014, 2:13:46 PM10/27/14
to version...@googlegroups.com
You're going to need to write the code to handle the OAuth dance, and you can use any language that has an HTTP client.