VMware plugin install fails, requires ffi-1.9.5

Ron Cordell

Sep 26, 2014, 5:22:38 PM9/26/14
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

This is probably a simple fix but I'm totally unfamiliar with Ruby and am not sure how to install a gem in the embedded Ruby that comes with Vagrant.

The VMWare plugin I just purchased for my Vagrant 1.6.5 release won't install because it is looking for ffi-1.9.5, but version 1.9.3 is what is available.

Assuming that finding the ffi-1.9.5 gem and installing it solves the issue, what would be the proper way to install for the embedded Ruby in Vagrant?

Cheers!

alvaro miranda

Sep 26, 2014, 11:24:01 PM9/26/14
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
hello

if this is happening when trying to install the vmware plugin, then looks like a bug

when you got the information to get the plugin, did you got some instructions how to get support?

otherwise i would suggest open an issue on github

Alvaro

Ron Cordell

Sep 27, 2014, 1:02:52 AM9/27/14
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I'm waiting for support to get back to me, but agreed that it looks like a bug.

I'll be patient :)
Message has been deleted

theo weijmer

Sep 27, 2014, 6:39:58 AM9/27/14
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
I have the same issue, not able to install the plug in, funny (not sure if it is that funny :-) ) thing is that I have two more or less the same Imac's on which I want to install it, on the first it installed without any problems but on the second I get the same message:

Bundler, the underlying system Vagrant uses to install plugins,
reported an error. The error is shown below. These errors are usually
caused by misconfigured plugin installations or transient network
issues. The error from Bundler is:

An error occurred while installing ffi (1.9.5), and Bundler cannot continue.
Make sure that `gem install ffi -v '1.9.5'` succeeds before bundling.

Gem::Installer::ExtensionBuildError: ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

    /Applications/Vagrant/embedded/bin/ruby extconf.rb
/Applications/Vagrant/embedded/bin/ruby: invalid option -H  (-h will show valid options) (RuntimeError)

Gem files will remain installed in /Volumes/Macintosh HDD/Imac-1/.vagrant.d/gems/gems/ffi-1.9.5 for inspection.
Results logged to /Volumes/Macintosh HDD/Imac-1/.vagrant.d/gems/gems/ffi-1.9.5/ext/ffi_c/gem_make.out

I installed the gem but without any luck, still getting that message, hope to hear from support soon.

Eric Richmond

Sep 29, 2014, 6:41:51 PM9/29/14
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone heard a response on this?  I'm having the same issue

Alvaro Miranda Aguilera

Sep 29, 2014, 10:56:25 PM9/29/14
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I do understand there is a support engagement for the plugin, so I would assume you have contacted them?

can you open a Github issue if you haven't done it?

Thanks,
Alvaro.

Ron Cordell

Sep 30, 2014, 11:43:36 AM9/30/14
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
I've requested support but have had no response. I'll put in a github item today.

Cheers

Ron Cordell

Sep 30, 2014, 1:30:01 PM9/30/14
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
Github issue has been created.

Ron Cordell

Sep 30, 2014, 7:53:29 PM9/30/14
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
I found the issue on my end. I had never accepted the XCode license agreement so the gcc compiler wouldn't run

Try sudo /usr/bin/gcc If you get a warning about accepting the license agreement, flow the prompts to accept the XCode license agreement. After that the install will work.

How Apple gets away with blocking gcc by a license agreement is beyond me.

Ron Cordell

Sep 30, 2014, 7:53:51 PM9/30/14
to vagra...@googlegroups.com

Ron Cordell

Sep 30, 2014, 7:55:32 PM9/30/14
to vagra...@googlegroups.com

Ron Cordell

Sep 30, 2014, 7:55:38 PM9/30/14
to vagra...@googlegroups.com

Eric Richmond

Sep 30, 2014, 8:53:47 PM9/30/14
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
That was the issue for me as well.

Thanks!

sandra....@googlemail.com

Oct 1, 2014, 8:29:36 AM10/1/14
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

on my machine the installation of several vagrant plugins ends with the same error message. I try to install the following plugins
  • vagrant-proxy
  • vagrant-hosts
  • vagrant-hostmanager
  • vagrant-hostmaster

The OS of host machine is a Linux Mint 17 and vagrant is installed in version 1.6.5

Best regards,

Sandra

theo weijmer

Oct 1, 2014, 8:43:01 AM10/1/14
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
I already accepted the x-code agreement before installing the vm-ware pluginn, the issue is beyond the license agreement.

Sandra Kosmalla

Oct 2, 2014, 3:57:42 AM10/2/14
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I found a solution for my problem. Maybe it helps you, too.  A simple sudo before vagrant plugin install vagrant-proxy helps. Reason was that the embedded call opt/vagrant/embedded/bin/gem install ffi -v '1.9.5'ends with the following error message

ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Gem::FilePermissionError)
    You don't have write permissions for the /opt/vagrant/embedded/lib/ruby/gems/2.0.0 directory.

and the owner is root for that directory.

Best regards,

Sandra

theo weijmer

Oct 2, 2014, 1:02:42 PM10/2/14
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
When I tried to installed the plug-in, I used sudo.

Sandra Kosmalla

Oct 5, 2014, 10:30:58 AM10/5/14
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
sudo seemingly worked because sudo ignores the system enviroment variable and uses the default setting for vagrant. My problem is that my Vagrant home and Vagrant dot file are on an external HDD with NTFS partition. I opend an issue that describes the problem.