Ubuntu 11.04 keyboard workaround

Seth Berman

Jun 5, 2011, 1:37:00 PM6/5/11
to va-sma...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Maybe everyone has figured this out already and I missed it, but just in case, here is the what I did to restore keyboard functionality.
This seems to be a reported bug in Ubuntu: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libx11/+bug/745585
I'm attaching the missing XKeysymDB file which was pulled from Ubuntu 10.10.

1. Grab the attached XKeysymDB.tar.gz
2. tar zxf XKeysymDB.tar.gz
3. sudo chmod root:root XKeysymDB && sudo chmod 644 XKeysymDB
4. sudo mv XKeysymDB /usr/X11R6/lib/X11   (this is symlinked to /usr/share/X11, which isn't the case on my older version)

Vast should be able to may the keysym mappings now.

-- Seth Berman (sbe...@instantiations.com)
XKeysymDB.tar.gz

John O'Keefe

Jan 24, 2012, 11:45:30 AM1/24/12
to va-sma...@googlegroups.com
The command in line 3 should be:

sudo chown root:root XKeysymDB && sudo chmod 644 XKeysymDB

Seth Berman

Jan 24, 2012, 11:46:50 AM1/24/12
to va-sma...@googlegroups.com
I hate when I do that...

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 11:45 AM, John O'Keefe <john_...@instantiations.com> wrote:
The command in line 3 should be:

sudo chown root:root XKeysymDB && sudo chmod 644 XKeysymDB

Seth Berman
Software Engineer, Instantiations Inc.
sbe...@instantiations.com

John O'Keefe

Jan 24, 2012, 11:51:33 AM1/24/12
to va-sma...@googlegroups.com
It looks like this is going to be a common issue going forward -- the file is missing from the Fedora 16 (and maybe earlier) distro anslo.

Seth Berman

Jan 24, 2012, 12:01:55 PM1/24/12
to va-sma...@googlegroups.com
If I'm reading this right, we may need to switch XLIB calls to get the keysym

Timo Aaltonen (tjaalton) wrote on 2011-06-09:

So I looked up  XStringToKeysym  and see it's an Xlib call

Does this make any sense to you...I can look into it

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 11:51 AM, John O'Keefe <john_...@instantiations.com> wrote:
It looks like this is going to be a common issue going forward -- the file is missing from the Fedora 16 (and maybe earlier) distro anslo.

Seth Berman

Jan 24, 2012, 12:26:59 PM1/24/12
to va-sma...@googlegroups.com
John,

No, switching calls doesn't look right.  It seems others have a similar problem now and are having to do what we do, which is to provide instructions on how to replace /usr/lib/X11/XKeysymDB.  Based on the commit that was made by that guy, it looks like it won't be coming back.

Seth

Joachim Tuchel

Aug 12, 2017, 1:15:09 AM8/12/17
to VA Smalltalk