Seaside under heavy load ...

Marten Feldtmann

Nov 16, 2011, 6:18:09 AM11/16/11
to va-sma...@googlegroups.com
Just to let you know about a problem I noticed today and the results are making me a little bit nervous. In a posting at my blog I described load tests against Seaside under various Smalltalks.

To summarize: the white HTML pages problem is still available under VASmalltalk 8.5 (at least under Windows).

Marten Feldtmann

Nov 16, 2011, 3:42:57 PM11/16/11
to va-sma...@googlegroups.com
Here is a video of the white/empty HTML page error within VA 8.5 and Seaside - as it was with VA 8.0.3 and Seaside.

Please consider the fact, that in the background lots of requests are send to the VASmalltalk image while I play around with the web browser (10000 request created by 4 threads from a different computer over network).

Marten Feldtmann

Nov 16, 2011, 4:26:32 PM11/16/11
to va-sma...@googlegroups.com
And here is a second video, showing the network traffic during the error. When the error happens the network protocol is completely different ...

jtu...@objektfabrik.de

Nov 16, 2011, 7:30:15 PM11/16/11
to va-sma...@googlegroups.com
So you get a response with 200 OK and no contents from Seaside?

Marten Feldtmann

Nov 17, 2011, 1:26:29 AM11/17/11
to va-sma...@googlegroups.com
That's what Firebug tells me and what the header shows: content-length = 0

Marten

Klaus Breker

Mar 16, 2012, 5:04:51 AM3/16/12
to va-sma...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

is this problem still available or exists any solution?

Klaus

Marten Feldtmann

Mar 16, 2012, 5:55:03 AM3/16/12
to va-sma...@googlegroups.com
I would say:

 NO

and

 YES

Instantiations has refactored the Sst*Adapter class and seems to be gone (at least I was not able to reproduce it the easy way or any other wy p to today).

jtu...@objektfabrik.de

Mar 16, 2012, 6:03:50 AM3/16/12
to va-sma...@googlegroups.com
Marten,

is that fix part of VAST 8.5?

Joachim

Leo O.

Mar 16, 2012, 7:15:15 AM3/16/12
to va-sma...@googlegroups.com
Joachim

I believe the problem is related with a bug in the WASstAdaptor that prevent multi-threading. Instantiation is working on it, wish to be fixed on Vast  8.5.1.
I can email you my little solution until then.
Bye

Leo

Marten Feldtmann

Mar 16, 2012, 7:34:52 AM3/16/12
to va-sma...@googlegroups.com
Case Inst 49011

Klaus Breker

Mar 19, 2012, 10:09:21 AM3/19/12
to va-sma...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

since last friday version 8.5.1 is available. Is the fix included in this version?

Klaus

Am Freitag, 16. März 2012 12:34:52 UTC+1 schrieb Marten Feldtmann:
Case Inst 49011

jtu...@objektfabrik.de

Mar 19, 2012, 12:47:42 PM3/19/12
to va-sma...@googlegroups.com
At least it's not listed in the readme at http://www.instantiations.com/docs/readmes/readme.htm

Marten Feldtmann

Mar 19, 2012, 3:30:58 PM3/19/12
to va-sma...@googlegroups.com
No, with 8.5.1 the ConfigMap "Seaside Core V8.5.1 [216]" is delivered to the customer. This map contains "SeasideAdaptorSstApp V8.0.3[162]" - therefore only the NOT corrected version.

Marten

John O'Keefe

Mar 19, 2012, 9:52:59 PM3/19/12
to va-sma...@googlegroups.com
Klaus -

The patch we sent to Marten was developed too late to be included in V8.5.1.  Additionally, we believe we have developefd a better (simpler) solution to the problem.  Seth and I will be testing it this week and I will post the code here if it passes.

John

Klaus Breker

Mar 20, 2012, 11:55:05 AM3/20/12
to va-sma...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,

so please let it pass :-)

Klaus

John O'Keefe

Mar 22, 2012, 2:01:22 PM3/22/12
to va-sma...@googlegroups.com
Klaus, Joachim, Marten -

Load Test passed! Filein of changes attached.

John
case49011.st

Klaus Breker

Apr 19, 2012, 6:41:55 AM4/19/12
to va-sma...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,

afte finishing our regular work, we could test our Seaside prototype and now we are really lucky, because your change works :-)

Klaus