Intent to Implement WASM in V8

Ben L. Titzer

Jan 8, 2016, 8:45:32 AM1/8/16
to v8-users
Hello Everyone,

Consider this the official announcement of our Intent to Implement WASM within V8!

Rationale:

1. WASM is a cross-browser, cross-platform, emerging target for native compilation that expands and improves upon asm.js, offering good code density and fast run time.
2. Implementing WASM directly in V8 allows the WASM engine to directly generate TurboFan's IR for fast compilation and good code quality, reusing a robust production JIT and runtime system.
3. Integration with V8 allows fast calls (no embedder trampolines) between WASM and JavaScript.
4. The JavaScript API to access WASM functionality can be implemented directly in V8.
5. The primary developers of WASM in V8 are all V8 developers or close collaborators.

We've been working on this for quite some time and have recently merged prototype code into V8 to make the development cycle easier.

The WASM Feature tracking bug will be updated with important relevant V8 CLs.

Christopher Svanefalk

Jan 10, 2016, 12:17:24 AM1/10/16
to v8-users
Can't tell you how excited I am about this. Awesome work V8 team!

Bon Rind

Jan 10, 2016, 12:25:16 AM1/10/16
to v8-users
Will this be implemented in Node?

Wu John

Jan 16, 2016, 8:35:57 AM1/16/16
to v8-users
Node uses V8, so yes, you will see it in Node.