Utah Indie Games Jam 2015 - Oct 9-11 at UVU

Greg Squire

Sep 16, 2015, 7:14:22 PM9/16/15
to Utah Indie Games
Hey Everyone,

I'm pleased to announce that our third annual Utah Indie Games Jam is happening on Oct 9-11. It will be held at the Business Resource Center of Utah Valley University (UVU) in Orem (815 West 1250 South, Orem, UT 84058). Check in time is from 6-7 pm on Friday, with our opening ceremonies and theme announcement starting right at 7 pm. This is a 48 hour game jam so we'll be going till about 8 pm on Sunday the 11th. We will have some awesome judges lined up and also some great prizes for the winners (details forthcoming on that). This is a competitive game jam, but a spirit of community and sportsmanship is still encouraged. This is a chance to make what you want and to polish your skills and take them to the next level. Feel free to invite your friends to make a team or go solo if you want!

This is a free event, but you'll be on your own for most of your meals at the event. There are a number of restaurants and stores within walking distance and many others that are close by. Also you are welcome to bring outside food and snacks into the event. We hope to be having at least one sponsored dinner during the event.

We are also partnering with the Indie Speed Run (ISR) guys this year, so if you want to enter your game into that competition as well you can. We'll be using the same theme as them. However this part is optional as there's a $25 entry fee, but the potential prize pool is much higher. Also if you know you want you enter ISR, you can currently get a 20% discount ($20) if you pay your entry fee now on their site. You have until 10 am tomorrow to buy your discounted entry token.

There will be wireless internet available during the jam, but please note that there will be no "wired internet" available. So please bring any wireless WiFi adapters that you may need. We should have plenty of desks and chairs available for people to use. Also you may want to bring a sleeping bag (for power naps), toiletries, deodorant, headphones, snacks, caffeine and any thing else you may need to survive a weekend of crazy game making.

To sign up for the event, go to http://itch.io/jam/utah-indie-game-jam-2015 and click the "Join Jam" link. We'll be using itch.io to help manage the jam and also to help show off our games afterwards. You can also find some additional information there too. Please pass the word onto your friends and others that may want to participate. Also feel free to share it on social media as well. We're going to be making some awesome games that weekend!  Hope to see you all there.

Rhettskipooker the Bard

Sep 19, 2015, 10:29:52 PM9/19/15
to Greg Squire, Utah Indie Games
I signed up. This will be awesome. And it's on one of my pay day weekends!

I'll be practicing and stuff in the meanwhile. Gettin' warmed up and stuffs.
RAWR​

IMG_1484.JPG

Nate "Enemby"

Sep 22, 2015, 4:42:05 PM9/22/15
to Utah Indie Games
I signed up too! Hopefully I'll finally get to meet some of you :)

Karl Thompson

Oct 5, 2015, 7:03:06 PM10/5/15
to Utah Indie Games
One of my friends and I want to go to the game jam, but neither of us have a car and would like to avoid the public transportation out from Neumont all the way to Orem if possible. Would anyone here be willing to give us a lift? We'll pay gas money.

Steve Taylor

Oct 8, 2015, 1:53:39 AM10/8/15
to Utah Indie Games
Karl, did you find a solution?

I know you didn't want to take public transportation, but if you can get down to Orem on FrontRunner, I'd be happy to pick you up from the station, which is just across the freeway from the event.  The problem is that FrontRunner doesn't run at all on Sunday, so you'd be stranded here Sunday night, or need another way back.

-- Steve

Karl Thompson

Oct 8, 2015, 9:08:48 AM10/8/15
to Utah Indie Games
Unfortunately, we haven't found a solution. I'll try talking to a friend who isn't planning on going to the game jam if he's willing to pick us up on Sunday evening. I didn't realize FrontRunner didn't run on Sunday, so I didn't realize that public transportation wouldn't be possible both ways. Thanks for pointing that out.

Steve Taylor

Oct 8, 2015, 11:58:18 AM10/8/15
to Utah Indie Games
It might be possible to take a bus on Sunday from UVU to the 11800 south TRAX station and then take TRAX from there.  It's just FrontRunner, I think, that doesn't run on Sunday.  I am in no way an expert on this (I never take these routes), so you should not depend on me for answers.  I'm just trying to help find some options.

-- Steve

Greg Squire

Oct 8, 2015, 12:34:30 PM10/8/15
to Utah Indie Games
You could try the UTA trip planner page - http://www.rideuta.com/mc/?page=TripPlanner
It will let you know if there's buses that could work. But it looks like what has been said about FrontRunner not running on Sunday is correct.

Karl Thompson

Oct 8, 2015, 12:53:58 PM10/8/15
to Utah Indie Games
Since the event ends at 8 p.m. on Sunday, I put that in for trip planner. Unfortunately, the service said that going from Orem to SLC on a Sunday evening at that time isn't possible. While we could take public transportation on Friday evening, we wouldn't have a way to stay the entire event and get back home through public transportation.

Greyson Richey

Oct 8, 2015, 1:35:10 PM10/8/15
to Utah Indie Games
Karl, let's talk about you carpooling with me. HMU via email when you get a chance.

Greg Squire

Oct 8, 2015, 7:40:36 PM10/8/15
to Utah Indie Games
Hey Indies,

Just a reminder that our third annual Utah Indie Games Jam is starting tomorrow (Oct 9th-11th). A big thanks to Utah Valley University for hosting the event. Also a big thank you to Utah Geek Events for sponsoring our prizes and to Ninjabee for sponsoring lunch on Saturday!

Again, the game jam will be held at the Business Resource Center of Utah Valley University (UVU) in Orem (815 West 1250 South, Orem, UT 84058). Check in time is from 6-7 pm on Friday, with our opening ceremonies and theme announcement starting right at 7 pm. This is a 48 hour game jam so we'll be going till about 8 pm on Sunday the 11th. This is a competitive game jam (with $300 in total prizes), but a spirit of community and sportsmanship is still encouraged. This is a chance to make what you want and to polish your skills and take them to the next level. Feel free to invite your friends to make a team or go solo if you want!

[...]

P.S.  NIGHTGHOST49 Live Streamer attending!
We are excited to announce that we will have a local Twitch Live Streamer, NIGHTGHOST 49 attending to catch some of the excitement and do interviews and reviews and cover the award ceremony. This will be an excellent way to get some exposure for your prototype and you can name drop your other current projects as well. Give him a follow and see some of his previous streams over at:
http://www.twitch.tv/nightghost49

P.S.S.  For those competing in the Indie Speed Run (ISR), here are some important details about the start of the event.

-The theme will be revealed when the organizer presses "start" on the ISR website.

-All teams that are participating MUST have linked to our location and purchased a credit BEFORE we press "start". To link to our live site, login to the ISR site, click on "Live Jams", find "Utah Indie Game Jam 2015" and then click on "+SIGN UP".

-Once we press START there is no going back. The theme for our location will be revealed and the ISR website will start its countdown.

-Teams may have to refresh before seeing the timer and the theme. All teams at the site will have the same start and end times.

-Each team at the site will have the same THEME, but will each have a different random ELEMENT. If you really want, you can roll the "danger dice" to get a new random ELEMENT.

-Remember to review the rules, including the important step to include this required text in your game verbatim: "This game was developed as part of Indie Speed Run 2015 (www.indiespeedrun.com)."

Let us know if there are any questions or concerns. Thank you for participating in the Indie Speed Run - the judges are looking forward to seeing your games!

Greg Squire

Oct 13, 2015, 12:40:55 AM10/13/15
to Utah Indie Games
Hey Indies,

I just wanted to say that our third annual Utah Indie Game Jam was held this past weekend and twelve awesome games were made. We have some amazing talent in our community. Hats off to all the participants who made some great games. Thanks also to our judges who helped us with the competition. A big thank you to Utah Valley University for hosting the event and a big thank you to Utah Geek Events for sponsoring our prizes and Ninjabee for sponsoring our lunch on Saturday! Thanks everyone that helped make it an awesome weekend.

You can view the game entries and play them on itch.io at
Enjoy!

Here are the winners that took home prizes (although all the teams were winners in my box just for participating)

Best Visuals - The Stranger
Best Audio - Bag of Secrets
Best Gameplay - The Wishing Well
Best Narrative - The Sphynkta Method
Best Humor - The Sphynkta Method
Most Likely to Succeed - Lu Monstrous
Most Innovative Design - The Wishing Well
Most Educational - Bag of Secrets
"Left Field" Award - The Wishing Well
Audience Choice Award - The Stranger
Grand Prize - The Wishing Well

Thanks again everyone for participating and making the event awesome! Looking forward to doing another jam next year. Also stay tuned for the Global Games Jam that will be happening in January. Hope to see a bunch of you there!

vazor

Oct 13, 2015, 3:06:04 PM10/13/15
to Utah Indie Games
If anyone has pictures or videos they'd like to share with ISR HQ, feel free to post links here or on the facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UtahIndieGameJam - thanks!

Josh Sutphin

Oct 14, 2015, 11:09:36 PM10/14/15
to Utah Indie Games
Here's the photos I took from my Seat of Judgment: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2phz8jktm72b6zh/AAAHR01J8t4WP5KjxJnB7w_ua?dl=0

Steve Taylor

Oct 15, 2015, 12:55:41 PM10/15/15
to Utah Indie Games
Haha...  What am I doing in that photo from the Lumonstrous demo?  Squeezing an imaginary brain?

-- Steve

Steve Taylor

Oct 15, 2015, 1:15:28 PM10/15/15
to Utah Indie Games

Steve Taylor

Oct 15, 2015, 1:22:21 PM10/15/15
to Utah Indie Games
One more:

The Judges, preparing to chop off some heads:

Sorry for the blur on that one.  Or is Josh really Odo from Deep Space Nine?

-- Steve