March Meeting

Erik

Mar 6, 2012, 6:26:04 PM3/6/12
to uses...@googlegroups.com
Looking forward to see you all there!

Location:

March 7, Draper Library

Schedule:
5:30-7:30pm Scala Topics
7:30pm wrap up and dinner at local restaurant

Topics (Presenters Please Confirm)
Aaron Allred, Scala Intro (as needed)
James Gates (10min), Monads
Jeff Shutt (20min), DB Access with Scala
Helena Edelson (45-60min), Actors

Aaron, you are bringing a projector yes?

Jeff Shutt

Mar 6, 2012, 10:25:01 PM3/6/12
to uses...@googlegroups.com
I'm in.

James Gates

Mar 6, 2012, 11:54:54 PM3/6/12
to uses...@googlegroups.com
David Gates will be presenting on Monads. I'll just be attending.

Aaron A

Mar 7, 2012, 11:39:18 AM3/7/12
to uses...@googlegroups.com
I have a projector lined up for us.

I didn't really get a chance to prepare slides or anything, So maybe we'll just spend
some time and showing setup, some tools, and basic code.
What is the Internet situation like at the library?

-Aaron

Erik

Mar 7, 2012, 3:49:08 PM3/7/12
to uses...@googlegroups.com
WIFI should be available but I haven't tested it.

Helena Edelson

Mar 7, 2012, 11:50:08 PM3/7/12
to uses...@googlegroups.com
Sorry I couldn't make tonight's meeting and do a preso on Akka. Hope it went well!

Helena

"Jeff Shutt" <shu...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I'm in.
>
>On Tuesday, March 6, 2012 4:26:04 PM UTC-7, Erik wrote:
>>

>> Looking forward to see you all there!*
>>
>> Location:*
>> March 7, Draper Library
>>
>> *Schedule:*

>> 5:30-7:30pm Scala Topics
>> 7:30pm wrap up and dinner at local restaurant
>>

>> *Topics (Presenters Please Confirm)*

>> Aaron Allred, Scala Intro (as needed)
>> James Gates (10min), Monads
>> Jeff Shutt (20min), DB Access with Scala
>> Helena Edelson (45-60min), Actors
>>

>> *Aaron, you are bringing a projector yes?*

Erik

Mar 8, 2012, 11:07:36 PM3/8/12
to uses...@googlegroups.com
No worries. We were able to have more time on some other topics. How does presenting in April sound (1st Wednesday, Sandy Library)?

Jason Wheeler

Mar 9, 2012, 8:08:59 PM3/9/12
to uses...@googlegroups.com
I really enjoyed the presentations this month.  I didn't feel I understood monads to the degree that I wanted however, but I found this youtube video that helps make it more clear for me.  It shows Scala and Java examples side-by-side which is what really helped me understand them.  Maybe this can help someone else as well.

Helena Edelson

Apr 2, 2012, 1:55:38 PM4/2/12
to uses...@googlegroups.com
Is there an April, first Wed meeting? If so, where?

Seems like no one is manning the twitter or website for updates (meetings). I can help w/that.

The Palo Alto scala group has Martin Odersky this Wednesday http://www.meetup.com/Bay-Area-Scala-Enthusiasts/events/58565322

@helenaedelson

Jeff Shutt

Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 20:07:36 -0800 (PST)
To: <uses...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: March Meeting

Aaron A

Apr 3, 2012, 4:06:06 PM4/3/12
to uses...@googlegroups.com
Hey Helena,

Would really love the help of organizing a website with updating
meetings and upcoming talks. I still need to get with Erik and talk
about access to the twitter and website. I have access to the git
repos for it on Github, but just haven't gotten any time to do much
with it myself.

So basically, YES PLEASE... any help that can be given right now would
be GREATLY appreciated. I know that Erik recently got moved into a
position in where he is extra busy and with my new job I've been extra
busy myself.

For everyone,

If anyone wants to jump on anything it'll be great as we have an
amazing group that are all very capable of managing.

I won't be able to attend this meeting due to me being out of town. I
do apologize for such a late notice as the month of March was gone
before I even realized it.

Best,
Aaron

Erik

Apr 4, 2012, 2:20:01 PM4/4/12
to uses...@googlegroups.com
Looking forward to see you all there!

Location:

April 4, Sandy Library

Schedule:

5:30-7:30pm Scala Topics
7:30pm wrap up and dinner at local restaurant

Topics (Presenters Please Confirm)
Had some cancellations so we may be winging it a bit tonight. I have a few slides on functional patterns. Who else can present or lead a discussion--unconference?
Looks like we need to track down a projector.

Jeff Shutt

Apr 4, 2012, 3:22:24 PM4/4/12
to uses...@googlegroups.com
I should be able to get a projector. It's a little older, but it should get the job done. I might be able to dig up a few things to talk about also.

Helena Edelson

Apr 4, 2012, 4:44:22 PM4/4/12
to uses...@googlegroups.com
If I can make it I can whip some talking points up. Otherwise, this month things finally slow down at work and I can present for May on:

Scala and Akka 2.0, and have people code a basic Akka app in scala. If time allows I can throw some Play2 in the mix.

Helena

Kevin Edwards

Apr 4, 2012, 6:03:26 PM4/4/12
to uses...@googlegroups.com
I won't be able to make it.  We were schedule to release to production last night but it got moved to tonight.

Erik

Apr 4, 2012, 6:32:17 PM4/4/12
to uses...@googlegroups.com

Erik