K O MBADIWE, MBONU OJIKE AND FIRST LADY ELEANOR ROOSEVELT IN 1943 NEW YORK

africa today

Nov 7, 2010, 2:49:08 AM11/7/10
to igbo igbo, World Igbo Congress WIC, naija politics, NIDO-USA NIDO-USA, Edo Global, Nigerian World Forum Nigerian World Forum, NIG. INTELLECTUALS NIG.INTELLECTUALS, NIGERIA CHAMPIONS.ORG, ABUJA ABUJA, ndiigb...@yahoogroups.com, UMU-IGBO UMU-IGBO, Chief Dr.CyprianOsuoha, Olalekam Adeyemi, B Aduba, Winston Agbebiyi, alloy aguwa, Chief Alex Linus Aharauka, Ayo Akinlua, Paul Aleobua, Boniface Amakeme, Charles Amanze, Chris Anarado, Vincent Anwunah, Peter Ayegbeni, chino Bafulu, Prince BenMordi, Dr. BonUchendu, Simeon C.Ohakpo, Chile Chuku, Gerald Dike, Edwin Dyke, Andrew E.C.Anyanonu, Sunny Ebegbuzie, Nze EdwinUnaegbu, Uju EkePh.D., Efiong Eniang, James Ezuruonye, Terseer Hemben, Fred Ideozu, Grace Ifezue, Bart Igwe, Grace Ikeri, Charles Isiorho, Nnenna J.Ozoalor, Kudo Kanu, Iyere Kio, Godwin Maduko, Bennet Mbek, Godfrey N.Aguwa, Gabriel NebechiUgwu, Cajethan Nkwuzor, Chris Ikechi Nnaji, Cyril Nwanguru, Joachim Nwogu, Chidi Nyeche, Daniel O.Otu, Olalekan Oguntoyinbo, Benson Ohoufo, Chief Christian Ojimadu, Robert Okagbare, Sam Okoh, Peter Okoro, Solomon Okorudire, austeen onwudiwe, Patience Osiah, Dinma Osisiogu, Charles Osuagwu, Chief RafiuAjayi, Abiola Sholanke-Fluker, Obi Udeozor, Margaret Ugbosu, Excellence A Ukomadu, David Williams, OGENE-NDI-IGBO NDI-IGBO-OGENE, UmuAn...@yahoogroups.com, WorldIgboCongress, NIDO America, edo-nat...@yahoogroups.com, IgboEvents, Njabasouth Njaba, WIEF, Uwa ndiIgbo, AlaIgboW...@yahoogroups.com, om...@pacbell.net, vincent...@msn.com, bezek...@yahoo.com, Chucks, i...@usa.net, odide...@yahoo.com, Odua, eRG, nigerde...@yahoogroups.com, Chuks Eleonu, eleik...@yahoogroups.com, USAAfrica Dialogue, usgemology, chie...@juno.com, Emeka Okala, Obi Nwakama, Okachikwu Dibia, emenike6, lloy...@aol.com, as...@yahoogroups.com, ken.asagwara, Oderaigbo, odera...@yahoo.com, NIDOE SECRETARIAT LONDON, nido...@niamericas.org, nidoc...@yahoogroups.com, my brother, Africa Politics, Africa...@yahoogroups.com
KO Mbadiwe, Mbonu Ojike, and Eleanor Roosevelt  IN 1943 IN NEW YORK

Eleanor Roosevelt with African Representatives
Original caption: Mrs. Franklin D. Roosevelt was the guest of honor today at a reception which preceded the festival of African dances and modern rhymes of Arts and Research. she is pictured here during the reception with Kingsley Ozuomba Mbadiwe, (L), President of the Academy, and Prince Ojike of Nigeria.
IMAGE:
© Bettmann/CORBIS
DATE PHOTOGRAPHED
April 04, 1945
COLLECTION
Bettmann

 Eleanor Roosevelt with Kingsley Ozumba Mbadiwe and Mbonu Ojike
First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt, sponsor and guest of honor of the African Dance Festival, held Monday evening at Carnegie Hall, was photographed during the reception held for her before the performance in the art gallery of Carnegie Hall. Shown with her are Kingsley Ozumba Mbadiwe (center), head of the academy of African Arts and Research, which is presenting the festival, center, and Mbonu Ojike (right), of Nigeria, who is here from Chicago University, representing the African students. Both men are wearing native robes.
IMAGE:
© Bettmann/CORBIS
DATE PHOTOGRAPHED
December 14, 1943
COLLECTION
Bettmann

 Their  Spirit will never die!
These were sons of Igbo nation!
By their behavior you know them!
They were handsome men, HO! HA!
Ya gazie
A.A.Madu

From: Ambrose Ehirim <aehirim@...>
Subject: [info_group] First Lady Ekeanor Roosevelt with K.O. Mbadiwe and Mbonu Ojike
To: info_...@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, November 2, 2010, 12:50 AM

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs388.ash2/66688_1620243418705_1015006087_1736215_6763580_n.jpg

First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt with Kingsley Ozumba
Mbadiwe and Mazi Mbonu Ojike at the African Dance Festival held at the Carnegie Hall Art Gallery in New York on December 14, 1943...Take another closer look at the picture and imagine how bold and fearless these guys took the situation at a particular time Japan was tearing up the Pacific states and United States still not sure of the battle in Europe and a broke Britain from trying to defeat Hitler in what Hitler had begun by invading Poland. And these bold and fearless folks were in their 20s at a time we barely knew what civilization was all about...See where Britain panicked?. Here K. O. Mbadiwe was the President of the Academy of African Arts and Research which presented the festival while Mbonu Ojike was visiting from the University of Chicago, representing African students.

Photo: Corbis Images

African Academy of Arts and Research

In 1943, three African students—Kingsley Mbadiwe, Mbonu Ojike, and A.A.Nwafor Orizu—founded the African Academy of Arts and Research (AAAR) while attending school in the United States. The AAAR’s goal was to educate Americans about African culture and to promote African independence. The academy’s first officers were Mbadiwe, the historian Ojike, Lawrence Reddick, South African D.Buyabuye Mdodana, and West Indian businessman A.A.Austin.

In 1945, the AAAR’s Board of Directors was reorganized to provide it with “more dynamic leadership and promote collective responsibility for policy and decisions” (Lynch, 193). The Reverend James H.Robinson became chair, A.George Daly vice president, and Ojike executive director. Five new members joined the board, including the lawyer, judge, and politician Raymond Pace Alexander; Charles E.Seifert; and the Methodist minister Charles Y.Trigg. Although most board members were African or African American, three white liberals joined in 1946, including former First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt, Roger Baldwin, and Maurice P.Davidson. By December 1945, the group’s membership had grown to one thousand.

clear pixel
To spark American interest in African culture, the academy sponsored critically acclaimed African Dance Festivals at Carnegie Hall in 1943, 1945, and 1946. Moreover, the academy published Africa Today and Tomorrow (1945), a collection of eighteen essays on African history, culture, and politics. The publication also announced the recipients of the 1945 and 1946 Wendell Wilkie Awards. First recipients were former Vice President Henry A.Wallace, who was honored as “an outspoken champion of civil rights in the United States and freedom for all colonial people” (Lynch, 194) and Ethiopian Emperor Haile Selassie, who was recognized in 1946 for his support of African independence and his patronage of the academy. During the winter of 1945–1946, the AAAR organized lectures on Africa at the American Museum of Natural History Washington, D.C. In 1946, the academy sponsored fund-raising events known as “Africa Days” at black churches in New York, and it produced Greater Tomorrow, a newsreel highlighting AAAR activities that became an important fund-raising tool. In 1947 the academy purchased Africa House, which became a meeting place for expatriate Africans in New York City.
To remedy Western inattention to Africa, the academy cultivated relationships with African American journalists and newspaper editors such as Claude Barnett and James Jones-Quartery. The academy used these connections to publicize and generate American support for Nigerian workers during a general wage strike in the summer of 1945.
In addition to educating Americans about African culture and politics, the AAAR also promoted African independence. In 1945, for example, Ojike lobbied the U.N. San Francisco Conference for the establishment of target dates for African independence, but his efforts to meet with American and British representatives were unsuccessful. At the Academy’s first annual conference in October 1946, George W.Harrison, president of the Ethiopian World Federation, called for the establishment of a pan-African federation to support African decolonization and “foster vigorous commercial and cultural ties between Africans and blacks in the new World” (Lynch, 196). Academy members embraced capitalism as a beneficial force for African development and advocated pan-African entrepreneurship in Africa. To strengthen the ties between America and Africa, Mbadiwe opened AAAR branch offices in Sierra Leone, Gold Coast (Ghana), Nigeria, and Liberia when he returned to West Africa in 1947.
Before the academy ceased operating in 1957, it facilitated postwar ties between Africa and America by generating American awareness of and appreciation for African culture and politics, assisting African students in the United States, and encouraging African Americans to pursue pan-Africanism. The academy, for example, encouraged Barnett, who became a staunch supporter of African liberation, to make his first of fifteen visits to Africa in 1947, and it facilitated Horace Mann Bond’s first visit to Nigeria in 1949. The AAAR also set an example for and inspired the formation of other American organizations focused on Africa, including the American Society for African Culture and Crossroads Africa, which was founded by James H. Robinson, former chair of the academy’s board in 1958.

FURTHER READING

Lynch, Hollis. “K.O.Mbadiwe, 1939–1947: The American Years of A Nigerian Political Leader.” Journal of African Studies 7, 4 (Winter 1980–1981): 184–203.

Tue Nov 2, 2010 12:57 am

Abraham Madu <abraham.madu@...>
abraham.madu@ ...
Send Email Send Email

KO Mbadiwe, Mbonu Ojike, and Eleanor Roosevelt
... From: Ambrose Ehirim <aehirim@...> Subject: [info_group] First Lady Ekeanor Roosevelt with K.O. Mbadiwe and Mbonu Ojike To:...
Ukaegbu
gukaegbu
Offline Send Email
Nov 2, 2010
12:45 am
KO Mbadiwe, Mbonu Ojike, and Eleanor Roosevelt
Their Spirit will never die! These were sons of Igbo nation! By their behavior you know them! They were handsome men, HO! HA! Ya gazie A.A.Madu ...
Abraham Madu
abraham.madu@...
Send Email
Nov 2, 2010
1:08 am
Re: KO Mbadiwe, Mbonu Ojike, and Eleanor Roosevelt
Bro. Abe, Those were some nice looking guys in nice looking outfits. 1943? How did people go overseas in 1943? If by ships, I wonder how many days it took....
Gregg
gukaegbu
Offline Send Email
Nov 2, 2010
8:20 am
KO Mbadiwe, Mbonu Ojike, and Eleanor Roosevelt
Mazi Chief K O Mbadiwe and Mazi Chief MbonuOjike were Igbo Prince,they were royal in their princely magnificent robes in 1943 and for ever.You know my brother...
Abraham Madu
abraham.madu@...
Send Email
Nov 2, 2010
6:04 pm
Re: KO Mbadiwe, Mbonu Ojike, and Eleanor Roosevelt
Nnaa, I read Maazi Madu's below, about our early greats. bold, fearless and courageous, they were...that was Igbo of my father's. I was told by a maternal...
peter opara
ogbuonyeiro@...
Send Email
Nov 2, 2010
9:08 pm

Chiakor Alfred

Nov 11, 2010, 1:49:49 PM11/11/10
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

I have been looking for the biography of Chief K.O Mbadiwe for several years now. I made several attempts and searched through several bookshops but have not been lucky.
Could anyone recommend where I can find this literature? Am sure it will make an exciting reading.
I can pay for the handling charges if someone can be kind to help out.
Thanks.

Chiakor Alfred

G. Ugo Nwokeji

Nov 11, 2010, 5:08:41 PM11/11/10
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Dear Alfred,

The only biography (in the classical sense) of K.O. that I know is M.O. Monye's BA thesis, "A Biography of Late Dr. Kingsley Gabriel Ozuomba Mbadiwe," in the Department of History, Imo State University, Okigwe (now Abia State University, Uturu), 1991.

There is also K.O.'s own autobiography, Rebirth of a Nation, Enugu, Fourth Dimension, 1991. The latter was edited with an introduction by his erstwhile assistant Luke I. Agusiegbe.

And then, there is his quasi-authobiographical work, British and Axis Aims in Africa (1942).

G. Ugo Nwokeji

Okey Ukaga

Nov 11, 2010, 6:26:16 PM11/11/10
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

Alfred may also find K.O.’s monograph “Matching Towards National Intergration” insightful. I believe he published this in the early 80s.

OU

Tony Iyare

Nov 13, 2010, 6:13:58 PM11/13/10
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

Dear Friends,
This is the Mid-term Report of Edo State Governor, Comrade Adams Oshiomhole Presented to a Cross Section of People on Thursday, November 11, 2010 at Idia Collge, Benin City sent here as both attachment and ordinary mail.

EDO STATE:  ON THE RISE AGAIN
(My Stewardship Report at Mid-term)
My dear people of Edo State,
1.           INTRODUCTION
Today marks the beginning of the second half of the tenure of this
administration.

As has become our practice, it is imperative that we revisit the agenda we set
on assumption of office, how we have fared and the challenges ahead.
Accordingly, this Stewardship Report covers what we have accomplished in the
areas of:
1.   Infrastructural development;
2.   Education;
3.   Health;
4.   Water and Electrification;
5.   Security;
6.   Administration of Justice;
7.   Agriculture and Economic Empowerment;
8.   Employment and Welfare
9.   Democracy and Governance.
Two years ago, when I assumed duty as Governor, I promised to put Edo State back
to work by aggressively addressing the unacceptable decay in infrastructures and
social services in all facets. In the initial months of our administration, we
successfully laid the institutional foundation for delivering on these and other
commitments. Towards this end, we constituted an Executive Council with emphasis
on technocratic competence, integrity and respect for political diversity. We
also systematically developed a template for inclusive governance that
guaranteed the involvement of the people as the means and end of the development
process.

2.    PLANNING AND PRIORITIZATION
When we started, we resisted the temptation of rushing into
ad hoc, quick-fix and rule of the thumb-driven approach to governance. Despite
the general devastation across all infrastructural and social sectors,
occasioned by many years of incompetent military leadership and ten years of
ravaging PDP  rule, we resisted the practice of spreading resources too thinly
everywhere and making nowhere.
Therefore, even at the risk of initially appearing slow, we concentrated on
developing a comprehensive master-plan.

We also ensured proper design and costing of projects while we institutionalised
an effective cash-flow management, with particular emphasis on cutting costs and
eliminating wastages in our financial system. These measures were necessary to
keep recurrent expenditures down and liberate funds for capital projects.

Secondly, in order to reduce our dependence on the Federation Accounts and to
deepen our finances, we had to aggressively pursue Internally Generated Revenue
by improving on tax administration. The objective was not only to increase
locally generated revenue to address our development commitments, but also to
give the tax-paying citizens a sense of ownership.

Our prudent husbanding of resources and aggressive revenue drive enabled us to
build up an initial reserve of N13 billion, which we have since deployed various
capital projects.

Whereas, we started our infrastructural renewal programme from Benin City for
reasons which I had canvassed earlier, we are now executing various capital
projects in each of the

18 Local Governments Areas. However, let me again restate that the
transformation of Benin City into a 21st Century metropolis is a matter of
prestige for us as Edo people, especially when we consider the expansion in
infrastructures in newer capital cities.

2.1.  Road Projects (Benin City Intra-City Roads)
Although Benin City is not yet a mega-city like Lagos, we have completed various
urban renewal projects, especially roads. This is in realisation of the huge
potentials of Benin City in the areas of culture, tourism, inter-State
connectivity and industrial investments.
Ultimately, the objective is to transform the city into a modern industrial one
that can attract both local and foreign investments. To achieve this, we have
completed some intra-city roads, namely:

1.   Oba Market Road;
2.   The Costain-Isornorho Area, now renamed Gani Fawehinmi Layout;
3.   Stadium Road;
4.   West Circular Road;
5.   Liberty Avenue;
6.   Ekpenede Road; and
7.   Sakponba Road;
This is in addition to the 32 roads rehabilitated last year within the City.
Through the Rapid Response Agency, we also rehabilitated a number of township
roads this year.
The construction of the following inter-city roads are ongoing and have reached
advanced states:
1.   The four-lane Airport Road;
2.   The Lagos Road, from Oluku through Urubi to Akpakpava Junction;
3.   The New Lagos/Akpakpava Road;
4.   Abehe Street
5.   The six-lane Sapele Road;
6.   The four-lane Siluko Road;
7.   The Reconstruction of Five junction and 7 adjoining roads;
8.   Oguanogbe Road; and
9.   Ebo Street.

2.2.   Inter-city Road Projects
We are simultaneously constructing 18 inter-city roads that would cover 334
kilometres and 350 communities. Naturally, it is virtually impracticable to
construct or rehabilitate all the roads at the same time. Therefore, we have
awarded contracts for roads with the heaviest all-year traffic, roads which
connect the greatest number of communities and those that are most critical to
boosting the rural economy.
The following inter-city road projects are under construction and have reached
advanced stages:
1.    Iguobazuwa-Umaza-Siluko Road;
2.   Jattu-Afowa-Iyora-Apana Road;
3.   Uhen-Olumoye Road;
4.   Ekperi-Anegbette Road;
5.   Ayogwiri-Apana-Okpekpe Road;
6.   Jattu-Ibie Road;
7.   Auchi-Jattu-Afashio-Ikabigbo-Ojion Road;
8.   Isua-Uzenema Road;
9.   Amedokhian-Ugboha Road;
10.       Igueben-Ido Road;
11.       Jattu-Ayua Road;
12.       Igueben-Ewohinmi-Ewatto-Ohordua-Okhuesan Road;
13.       Evboeghae-Ugo-Urhonigbe Road;
14.       Sebe-Ogbe-Otuo Road;
15.       Ivbioghe-Igiode-Uzanu Road;
16.       Iyamho-Iyora Road;
17.       Ososo-Ojah-Uneme-osu-Dagbala-Ojirami Dam- Ojirami
    Peteshi-Akuku-Enwan-Igarra Road; and

18.       Irrua-Usugbenu-Ugbegun-Ebudin-Ujiogba Road.
Our road contracts were are awarded to reputable contractors and conform  to the
highest technical specifications, so that they can last for at least 30 years.
Unlike in the past, our road projects are based on an integrated design,
complete with covered side drains while intra-city roads additionally have
sidewalks and street lights.
I wish to assure you that we will not slow down on the road projects. Once the
rains subside, the contractors will intensify work on the on-going projects, so
that we can take full advantage of the dry months.

In addition, in the 2011 budget year, we will commence road projects in the
other three Local Governments, namely: Owan West, Uhunmwode and Esan West.

2.3.          Flooding and Erosion Control
·        The Benin City Storm Water Project
To address the huge challenge of developing a primary drainage for Benin City
and in order to address the flooding crisis on a holistic basis, we have awarded
the contract for the first phase of the Benin City Storm Water Project.

This single project involves the following components:
-      Construction of an open concrete canal of about 45 feet wide and 15 feet
deep that covers a distance of 7.5 kilometre;
-      Construction of a network of covered concrete tributary of smaller
canals, covering over 7.8 kilometres;
-      The reclamation and reconstruction of nine intra-city roads, with
side-drains, walkways, street lights and lawns. Among these roads projects
embedded in the contract is the dualization of the Upper Siloko Road, from the
Textile Mill Junction through the Teachers House.
This N30 billion project is expected to permanently solve the devastating
erosion problems in and around the Teachers House Axis.
We are exploring avenues for additional long-term funding for the Benin City
storm water project, because our current revenue levels cannot finance the other
components that are outside the scope of this contract.
·        Desilting and Maintenance of Drainages
The remedial measures we have taken, especially in desilting the Benin Moat and
clearing major blocked channels have mitigated the flooding crisis. The
desilting and clearing have enabled many communities to survive the impact of
this year’s heavy rains.

The effect of the heavy flash flooding witnessed this year would have been far
more devastating, but for those remedial measures we took.

We desilted the underground conduit installations and cleared blocked drainages
along:
-      New Lagos Road (Uselu Shell/Akpakpava)
-      Lower Lawani;
-      West Circular Road;
-      Upper Sakponba; and
-      Aruosa/Ogbelaka Roads;
-      5 Junction
-      Sapele Road
-      Murtala Mohammed Way
-      Siluko Road
-      Adolo Road
-      Central Road (GRA Catch Pits at Golf Course)
-      Aiguobasinwin Street etc
We still have serious challenges with respect to the massive erosion in the
Queen Ede area in Benin City, Auchi and Ekpoma. Due to the inability of the
State Government to mobilise the resources required, we are exploring
discussions with the Federal Government towards accessing the Ecological Fund.
Last week,

I took advantage of the visit of the Presidential Committee on Project
Monitoring to renew our demand for massive federal intervention. We will follow
up on this.
2.4.     The Beautification and Urban Renewal Programme
In conformity with global best practices, we have inter-linked the road projects
with our Beautification and Urban Renewal Programme.

·        Beautification of the The Oba Ovaranmwen Square
We have given Benin City a facelift starting from the city centre in the King's
Square, now renamed Oba Ovaranmwen Square.

The square was hitherto completely disorganized, dirty and unbefitting of a city
centre. It was a nightmare to motorists and pedestrians while it was  in total
darkness at night.

The asphalting of the Square has been completed. It now has street lights,
well-tended lawns, walkways and a modern musical and illuminated fountain, the
first of its type in the State.

Efforts are currently on-going to improve the aesthetic features through the
erection of artistic monuments that will enhance its tourist appeal.
·        Beautification Projects (Akpakpava, Sakponba, and Oba Market Roads)
We have completed the beautification of Akpakpava, Sakponba and Oba Market
Roads, which inter-sect the Square. These streets now have functional street
lights, well-paved walk-ways, covered drains, side lawns, green medians and
waste bins.

·        Costain-Isonorho Area, now Gani Fawehinmi Layout
We reclaimed, rehabilitated and beautified an entire neighbourhood in the
Costain-Isonorho Area, which had been abandoned by residents due to perhaps the
largest and tallest inner-city refuse dump in the country.

The mountain of refuse had been evacuated while the six roads in the layout have
been tarred, complete with covered side drains. The fitting of the street lights
will be completed in the next few weeks.
·        Procurement and Deployment of Waste Disposal Equipment
In meeting the waste disposal challenge, this administration has acquired and
deployed for use two mechanical sweepers,  48 giant roll on metal waste bins and
other specialised equipment.

Through a public-partnership programme, we have engaged reputable private
players with the proper equipment to handle both domestic and industrial waste.
This has enabled the Waste Disposal Board to be properly refocused as a
regulatory agency.
·        Enforcement of Physical Planning and Building Codes
We have also taken firm steps towards arresting the indiscriminate encroachment
on our streets and against the erection of structures in breach of Physical
Planning and Building Control legislation. Through this measures, we have
achieved better flow of traffic, expanded our major highways and confined
trading to the markets in many parts of the city.

Generally, it is now well-acknowledged by residents and visitors that Benin City
is wearing a new and better look. It is now more beautiful, certainly neater and
more organised as a modern city.

At this point, we must appreciate the supportive role of His Royal majesty, the
Oba of Benin. Without His Royal Majesty’s interventions at critical periods, we
would not have been able to achieve much in the reclamation of the highway space
and other elements of the urban renewal programme.
3.       EDUCATION
In recognition that the future of our State lies in quality education, we have
invested massively in the re-building and construction of new projects in our
public schools.

o   Total School Transformation (Secondary Schools)
Under the first phase of the Total School Transformation Program, wehave
constructed and renovated classrooms, halls, staff rooms, administrative blocks,
toilets  and other facilities in the following secondary schools:
1.           Idia College, Benin City;
2.           Niger College, Benin City;
3.           St Maria Goretti Girls School;
4.           St. John College, Fugar;
5.           Annunciation Catholic College, Irrua;
6.           St John Bosco College, Ubiaja;
Construction and renovation works have reached advance stages in the following
schools:
1.   Edo Boys High School, Benin City;
2.   Igueben Grammar School;
3.   Iguobazuwa Grammar School;
4.   St Angela’s Grammar School, Uzairue;
5.   Our Lady of Fatima College, Auchi; and
6.   Holy Trinity Grammar School, Sabongida Ora; and
7.   St Pauls Anglican Grammar School, Igarra.

o   Construction of New Classrooms and Renovation of Primary and Junior
Secondary Schools under SUBEB
Through the Universal Basic Education Scheme, we have awarded contracts in
primary and junior secondary  schools in the 18 Local Governments. The scope of
the contracts cover the following:
i.            Construction of 178 new classrooms;
ii.          Renovation of 296 existing classrooms;
iii.        Construction of perimeter fences in 32 primary schools;
iv.         Construction of water closet suites in 44 primary schools;
The outlook for the primary and junior secondary school system would have been
far better than what we are reporting today but for the impediments to accessing
the UBE Fund by the former PDP leadership of the House of Assembly. We have now
accessed the UBE funds following our release of the counterpart funding of

N2.2 billion.
o   Acquisition and Distribution of School Furniture
Already, the Government of Edo State has taken delivery of 35,000 units of
single classroom furniture 40,000 units of double seaters for public primary and
secondary schools. This means that we now have new modern furniture for the use
of 115,000 pupils and students across the State.
o   Three new model boarding secondary schools
In the 2011 budget year, my government will commence the construction and
equipment of three model boarding secondary schools. This would have been
commenced in the 2009 budget year, but was scuttled by the PDP leadership of the
Edo State House of Assembly.
o   Quality and Policy Issues in Education
We have also paid attention to quality and administrative issues in our
educational system. One of the areas where we have made impact is in restoring
the integrity of public examinations by closing down miracle centres.

We have also abolished illegal levies imposed on students under all guises. The
centralisation of termly examinations was introduced to guarantee
standardization and also to attune our pupils and students to public
examinations.
o   Redressing the shortage of teachers
To address the shortage of teachers, especially in rural schools, we have
recruited fresh teachers while we have

re-organised the teaching service to ensure much better distribution of teachers
between schools in urban and rural areas. Another round of fresh recruitment of
teachers by SUBEB has commenced.
o   Teachers’ Welfare
Our education revival strategy is anchored firmly on Teachers welfare. In this
respect, we have increased teachers’ salaries by 27.5% so far. With the
abolition of the promotion bar, teachers now enjoy promotion to Grade Level 17.
o   Tertiary Education
My government recognises the vital role of the Ambrose Alli University (AAU) in
the educational development of the State. Accordingly, Edo State was the first
in the Federation to implement the new salary structure for academic staff.
However, there are challenges in the AAU beyond the payment of salaries. Dealing
with these challenges require accurate data for planning. This informed our
decision to set up a Visitation Panel and commission a forensic audit. While the
Visitation panel had submitted a report, we are awaiting a report of the
forensic audit.
As a temporary measure, we have increased the monthly subventions from N150
million to N210 million monthly, the highest so far in the Institution’s
history.

We are also finalising plans to commence the completion of the abandoned
administrative block in the AAU and for the construction of one hostel each for
male and female students.

Although the funding challenge  has to be addressed, we are nonetheless
convinced that the AAU requires new and creative thinking. It is clear that the
current model of exclusive State subvention is no longer sustainable.
Furthermore, we have approved the implementation of new salary structures for
the other tertiary institutions, namely the Colleges of Education, Ekiadolor and
Igueben, Institute of Management and Technology, Usen, and the College of
Agriculture, Iguoriaki.
In addition, for the first time since its inception, this administration ensured
that the IMT, Usen, secured accreditation for its programmes from the National
Board for Technical Education.

4.      HEALTH
Our priority has been the construction and renovation of hospitals and health
centres. However, we have placed further emphasis on maternity and paediatric
facilities because our major priority is Maternal and Child Health.
My government’s free Ante-natal and free under-5 treatment is running
successfully in all public hospitals across the State.

The free maternal and child health programme has been acclaimed for its positive
impact. Indeed,  one of the grounds that the Nigeria Medical Association
canvassed in pleading for the reduction in levies on private hospitals is the
declining patronage by women due to the free Government ante-natal  programme.

In order to sustain the free maternal and child health programme, we executed
the following projects:

1.   Comprehensive renovation of maternity and labour wards in
24 general hospitals;
2.   Construction of Three antenatal clinics at the Auchi, Uromi and Benin
Central hospitals;
3.   Construction of two  Women and Children’s Hospital in Otuo and Ewohinmi.
Beyond that, under the MDG Programme, we have constructed additional structures
and renovated many primary and secondary health facilities in the 3 senatorial
districts.
As part of efforts to re-position the Stella Obasanjo Hospital, we have
completed a new eye centre with modern facilities, some of which are not
available elsewhere in the country.
This administration has just completed an 80-bed female hostel complex for the
School of Health Technology, Benin City, as part of efforts to improve
infrastructures in the institution.
The era of out-of-stock is gradually coming to an end as we have invested
massively in the procurement of drugs, theatre and diagnostic equipment. For
instance, although our anti-malaria programme was designed to offer free
treatment to pregnant women and children, we now offer drugs free to other
categories of patients because we have stocked enough.

I have signed into law the Bill to establish the State Anti-AIDS Control Agency,
which will enable us to deal better with the high sero-prevalence in Edo State.

We have commenced a major intervention in the area of cervical cancer, which is
making vaccines available to adolescent girls.  This is an initiative of the
Wife of the Governor, but it would now be professionally backstopped by the
Ministry of Health and the Ministry of Education, to ensure that many of our
female adolescents can benefit.
The outlook for the future in the area of health is very bright. We are
committed to accelerating the capacity of Edo State to attain the health-related
Millennium Development Goals, reduce her disease burden and develop capacity to
offer more comprehensive and specialised medical-care. Towards this end, we have
awarded the contract for the construction of a new comprehensive building
complex in the Central Hospital, Benin City, to be equipped with
state-of-the-art equipment.
However, a worrisome trend worth highlighting is the frequency of arbitrary and
incessant disruption of services by some unions in the health sector. On our
part, we would continue to take on board the welfare of health professionals as
part of a holistic sector development strategy. But we need constructive
partnership in the process and above all, we need our health professionals and
workers to put their patients first.

5.     WATER
In reducing our disease burden and meeting the MDGs, we appreciate that our
people require potable water either in their homes or in common, but accessible
locations.
In furtherance of this, we  executed the following water projects:
·        Rehabilitation of the Auchi Water Supply Scheme;
·        Rehabilitation of the Phase ll of the Upper Sakponba Water supply
scheme;
·        Rehabilitation of the  Ehor Water Supply Scheme
·        Under the MDG Programme, we have drilled and equipped
101 solar-driven boreholes in the three senatorial districts.

In addressing the challenge of providing water on a more sustainable and
holistic basis, we have now deployed

two DANDO WATEREC 24 MOBILE DRILLING RIGS, complete with tools and accessories
to commence the drilling of communal boreholes. With the capacity of the rig to
reach drilling depths in excess of 750 metres, we are now able to surmount the
water problem, especially in Edo Central, where the terrain is exceptionally
difficult.
6.     RURAL ELECTRIFICATION
We made sustained efforts to link rural and semi-urban communities to the
national grid, increase electricity generation and enhance distribution.

Towards this, we have completed the following electricity projects:
1. Uluoke-Okpella Overhead Line. (This project will enhance         the
distribution networks in Etsako West,      Etsako Central      and Etsako East
Local Government Areas.      This will reduce       the load on Edo Central and
make      additional megawatts      available for the use of that part of
     the State.)

2.   Idumu-Eran/Idumeson Electricity Project;
3.   Urhomehe Electricity Project;
4.   Agbonkina-Evbotube Electricity Project;
5.   Erua-Evboerien Electricity Project;
6.   Ekpenada-Ekperi Electricity Project;
7.   Oghomehre/Ogbago Electricity Project.
We have also installed transformers and feeder pillars across the State toboost
electricity supply to more urban and rural communities.
In addition, the following electricity projects are nearing completion:
1.Upgrading of the Otuo Electricity Supply  from 2.5MVA to 7.5MVA;
2. Udo-Iguafole Electricity project;
3. Odighi electricity Project;
4. Evbuabogun Electricity project

7.     INFORMATION COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY
In the last two years, we have invested massively in computerising many
operations of the State Government.

These include:
-      the automation of staff and pensions payroll;
-      the automation of tax administration for the State Board of Internal
Revenue.

In addition, we have commenced the automation of the following processes:
-      revenue and expenditure management;
-      budget preparation and monitoring;
-      management of the Treasury and fixed assets;
-      management of human resources.
We have established the Government Data Centre and completed the networking of
all agencies of the State Government.
In order to make the public service more efficient, we have installed computers
to replace the antiquated typewriters and other obsolete gadgets across
Government departments.
We have blazed the trail with the launch of the Edo State Citizens’
Identification Card Scheme, which will enable us capture the data of our
population to aid macro-economic planning.

The Edo State’s website has been improved and made more interactive. The feelers
we get is that the website enjoys great patronage especially among  Edos in the
Diaspora and our younger population.
The Government of Edo State has commenced the digitizing and archiving of land
records at the Ministry of Land, Housing and Surveys. This is part of the Edo
Geographical Information System (EGIS) approved by the State Executive Council.
8.    EDO INTRA-CITY BUS SERVICE
With the chaos we met in urban transportation, especially in Benin City, I was
convinced that the State needed to intervene decisively not only as a regulator,
but also as a service provider. To this end, the State Government procured and
deployed 100 air-conditioned buses along properly designated bus routes within
and outside Benin City. Ultimately, we are aiming to attain State-wide coverage.

Generally, the buses have provided cheaper, more comfortable and safer means of
transport for commuters, especially workers and students. I believe that if our
people have the option of commuting in comfort, safety and style, ultimately
there will be less attraction in the use of Okada (commercial motorcycles).
9.     AGRICULTURE
In the area of agriculture, we have secured a one billion Naira loan to support
small-scale farmers across the State. This is in addition to our direct
provision of fertilizers and input to bonafide farmers. For the first time, many
small-scale and subsistence farmers had direct access to the fertilizers
distributed by the State Government. This was because we removed third-party
intermediaries and middle-men from the process.
We have also taken a bold initiative in the area of rice production in
partnership with Transformation Agritech Nig. Ltd. (T4m), a Vietnamese and
British backed agricultural organization involved in rice production. The
Government, as its equity, has made an initial 10,000 hectares of land available
in the Ekperi-Anegbete Rice Belt. The company has started moving their equipment
to site. When fully operational about 4000 youths will be employed in the State
in the rice and rice-processing industry.

10.     SPORTS DEVELOPMENT
In our quest to bring the facilities of the Dr Samuel Ogbemudia Stadium to
international standards, we completed the construction of a FIFA-Standard
football pitch. The pitch conforms to all the approved technical and safety
specifications of FIFA.

ThisAdministration has also rehabilitated some other facilities in the stadium,
including the indoor sports hall.

An innovation in sports development is the School Football Revival Programme.
The idea is to create an enabling environment to nurture new football talents in
our Educational System.

The Football Development Blueprint includes the resuscitation of school-based
football competitions.
I am proud to say that our sportsmen and women have continued to make giant
strides in local and international competitions, the last of which was the
Commonwealth games. We appreciate these illustrious citizens of Edo State, who
wear our colours with pride and dignity.

11.    SECURITY
The security situation in the country in general and our Region in particular is
worrisome. While Edo State has its share of security problems, it is certainly
not the worst in the country or indeed, in the Region. This is not to suggest
that the problem is not worrisome.

However, like other governors, I bear the superfluous title of the Chief
Security Officer of the State, but without the requisite operational
wherewithal. The Police and other security agencies are completely controlled by
the Federal Government and are not answerable to me.
Notwithstanding this fundamental constraint, I have taken some major steps to
improve the security situation in the State, especially in relation to
kidnapping and armed robbery.

In 2009, we set up and equipped the Operation Thunderstorm to combat crime
across the State. The State Government is providing single-handedly all the
logistic requirements and the allowances of the officers and men of the
Operation Thunderstorm.

The Government of Edo State in the last two years has provided over 100 brand
new vehicles for the Police, in addition to communication equipment worth over
N200 million, as well as bullet-proof jackets. This is in spite of the fact that
the Nigerian Police is a Federal agency with its own budget.

Although the Operation Thunderstorm recently suffered some operational setbacks
because of the clash between some Soldiers and Policemen, I am happy to report
that the situation has normalised. The Military component will soon resume their
participation.
We have also made a case for the deployment of a Marine Unit of the Nigeria
Police. As we speak, the entire creeks in Edo State are virtually without
security presence, which sometimes facilitates  kidnapping operations.

I have also taken up with the President the non-cooperation of the GSM service
providers, who fail to provide telephone details of kidnappers. This impedes
investigations and the apprehension of the criminals.
However, with the support of the State Government, especially the N2 million
reward to volunteers of information, the SSS and police have broken several
kidnappers’ syndicates, recovered hostages and aborted many kidnapping
operations. We are currently prosecuting many apprehended suspects.
As Christmas season approaches, I have prevailed on the security agencies to
issue stronger orders to their formations to deal decisively with criminal
elements. I wish to assure you that we will not relent in combating crime and in
making Edo State safe for its citizens and residents.
12.    ADMINISTRATION OF JUSTICE
To strengthen democracy, guarantee the rule of law and promote fundamental human
rights, I believe that we need a Judiciary that is independent, properly funded
and infrastructurally empowered.    Therefore, my Government has accorded the
Judiciary the respect due to it. We have refrained from interfering with its
operation and we have always complied with court orders.
We have also taken necessary measures to improve the welfare of Judges through
the provision of a new fleet of cars and the general  improvements in the
funding of the Judiciary.
With effect from the 2011 Budget year, we are  providing funds for the
employment of Legal Assistants to Judges. I believe that judges are entitled to
these assistants in order to improve the quality of staff backup and ease their
workload.

We have almost completed the re-building and renovation of four court halls in
Benin City. Starting from the 2011 Budget Year, we will gradually but steadily
renovate and re-build court rooms outside Benin City.

My government has increased the salaries and allowances of Magistrates,
Presidents of Area Customary Courts, Legal Officers in the Ministry of Justice
as well as other categories of staff in the Judiciary.

13.   CREATION OF NEW JOBS
A well-acknowledged achievement of this government is the creation of new jobs
in the public sector. We created an initial 7,100 new jobs in the first year
under the Edo State Youth Empowerment Scheme.

Having lifted the embargo on employment imposed by the PDP, my government has
subsequently employed more than 2,000 workers in the mainstream Civil Service,
the teaching service, Hospitals Management Board and Water Board.
Our capital projects have created a massive boom in the construction industry,
which has positive economic stimulus effects, especially new jobs.

14.     ECONOMIC EMPOWERMENT THROUGH MICRO-CREDIT
As part of our economic empowerment strategy, we have established a N500 million
micro-credit scheme in partnership with the Bank of Industry. The scheme has
granted some loans at

5% interest to small-scale businesses. The 5% interest-rate is probably the
lowest of its type in the country, because the State Government is subsidising
the scheme.
15.      WORKERS AND WORKERS’ WELFARE
Unlike some previous governments, we regard our workforce as assets, rather than
as liabilities, while we place high premium on their welfare. Therefore, we have
taken steps to improve salaries and allowances across various sectors, namely:
-      Academic and non-academic staff across our higher institutions;
-      Magistrates and Judicial workers;
-      Primary and secondary school teachers.
We are almost concluding negotiations for increase in salaries and allowances in
the medical sector.
One of our notable achievements is the restoration of the sanctity of the pay
day. In the past, wages were paid usually two or three weeks into the next
month. Today, employees of the Edo State Government receive their pay by the
20th of every month.
We have also abolished the bar, which confine our public employees to Grade
Level 16. They can now rise, and indeed many of them have risen, to Grade Level
16 as their federal counterparts.
Our Government has evolved a culture of robust engagement with workers and their
unions not only on industrial issues but also on governance issues in general.
It is noteworthy that we have probably had more strikes now than at any time in
the past. This is often a subject of petty attacks of the administration and my
person. Unfortunately, those who see this as a problem miss the point. The real
point is that the environment for engagement has become so liberalised. Above
all, unlike before, strikes by workers in the current dispensation no longer
attract vengeful official reprisals.

However, this is not to suggest that rampant work stoppage is healthy for the
State. Both the Government and Organised Labour need to deepen the culture of
collective bargaining, improve technical capacity for engagement and encourage
our unions to share the burden of finding holistic solutions.

16.    PENSIONERS’ WELFARE
We inherited a backlog of gratuities and pension dating back to the year 2000.
Today, we have cleared the bulk of the backlog of gratuities of state and local
government employees, especially those who retired from the teaching service.

Pensioners across the state now receive their pension by the 18th of every
month. Our ultimate goal is to institutionalise the prompt payment of
gratuities, such that severance benefits are ready at the time of exit.

We will soon commence the implementation of the Contributory Pension Scheme. The
delay was deliberate on our part, to ensure that all the stakeholders are
carried along and that they all understand the rationale and its mode of
operation. The Office of the Head of service is working out a mechanism for
dealing with the migration to the Contributory Pension Scheme and the attendant
transitional challenges.

17.      GOVERNANCE AND DEMOCRACY
o   Restoring the Dignity of our People
Some of the very positive changes in Edo State are not as tangible as the
physical infrastructures that we can see. Yet, these changes in the realm of
democracy and governance are fundamental indeed.
It is well-acknowledged that Edo people are now freeand unshackled from the
hegemony of a tiny clique of vested interests. We are no longer hostages to the
arrogant veto of political godfathers. In re-creating a new Edo State from the
ashes of the old, we have positioned the people as the means and the end of
democracy and development.

I believe that good governance, democracy and development require a critical and
active citizenry. Therefore, we have consciously promoted a culture of
collective representation among our people. There is a now a resurgence of civic
and political activism, including a robust culture of protest, which suggest
that our people have found their voices and their powers.
The Government House has become a second Parliament, where various Edo people
gather without molestation to ventilate all forms of grievances. I have often
been persuaded by some of our colleagues and security functionaries to refrain
from personally entertaining the grievances. This for me is unacceptable. I
believe that people need the attention of their Governor more when they are
aggrieved. This explains why I have evolved an accessible governorship, devoid
of the pomp and protocol, which had alienated the people from their governor and
government.
The pride and confidence with which our people refer to their Governor and the
confidence with which they march to the Government House clearly indicate their
ownership of the government of the day as a peoples’ government.

o   Election Management
In the area of election management, we have created a
level-playing and liberal space for the people to exercise their sovereignty on
the basis of one man, one vote. This was evident in the re-run elections in
Akoko-Edo and Etsako Central Constituencies of the State House of Assembly.
In exercise of my constitutional powers, I have re-constituted the Edo State
Independent Electoral Commission (EDSIEC), even though I have reservations about
the Governor being the appointing authority. However, in exercising the power, I
have endeavoured to constitute a truly independent electoral commission. Unlike
in the past, where members of the EDOSIEC were ruling party members, the new
EDSIEC has no single politician or card-carrying party member on board.

I have charged the EDSIEC to be firm and to live up to its mandate. As a
government, we will not, I repeat, we will not interfere in the business of
EDSIEC.
18.    THE GENERAL OUTLOOK FOR THE FUTURE
Today, we have delivered substantially on our promises. It is now acknowledged
both within and outside the State that Edo State has changed for the better in
many areas. Edo State under our stewardship has become the epicentre of the
discourse on democracy and development in our country.
We have provided the platform for the evolution of the campaign for electoral
reforms (One Man, One Vote), which Nigerians across the country have bought
into.
Over the last 24 months, Edo State has hosted more trade union and civil society
conferences than all the other states put together. This is because Nigerians
now appreciate that something new and qualitative is coming out of our State.
Many Nigerian are proud to associate with the people’s government and the
people-driven development that has taken place in the last two years.
Even those who initially accused us of merely planting flowers are now wondering
where our government had found the resources to finance the multi-facetted
development projects. Edo State is still work in progress, but it is already on
a steady rise, while the people are already enjoying tangible and sustainable
benefits of development.
I assure you that we will complete the ongoing projects; we will develop new
initiatives to deepen the progress in the priority areas; while we will address
new priorities.
One of our strategies in the remaining part of my first term is to ensure
development policy coherence between the State Government and other agencies and
functionaries involved in infrastructural development. We have already created a
framework of engagement to align the capital development priorities of the State
Government with those of the Federal Government where possible, the NDDC, Local
Governments and the constituency projects of Federal and State legislators.

19.          APPRECIATION
In all modesty, we have achieved much in such a relatively short period. This is
a testimony to the support, boundless energy, understanding, enthusiasm and
participation of Edo people.

I wish to use this opportunity to reiterate my  profound appreciation for your
overwhelming encouragement, prayers, criticisms and overall support.
Your support has been critical in encouraging and emboldening us to stand up to
those who want the old order to prevail at the expense of the common good.

Let me also acknowledge the constructive partnership we have enjoyed from the
other two arms of government, the Executive and Legislature. I want to thank Mr.
Speaker and His Lordship, the Chief Judge of Edo State, with whom we have shared
the burden of leadership.
I am deeply indebted to our paramount ruler, His Royal Majesty, the Oba of
Benin, for his unflinching fatherly support, counsel and encouragement. Without
the Oba’s support, we certainly would not have been able to achieve some of our
objectives.

I wish to place on record our gratitude to other traditional leaders, community
leaders and leaders of community development associations. They have offered us
a critical link to the grassroots and have always been alive in reminding us of
our commitments to our people in the rural areas.
Let me acknowledge and celebrate the unwavering support of the Labour Movement,
our ever-militant Students, our indefatigable market women, our okada riders,
road transport unions, the media, professional bodies and civil society
organisations. This is a People’s Government because of the support of these
vanguards of democracy and development.
I owe the leaders of the Christian and Islamic Faiths a debt of gratitude for
their spiritual intercessions for the peace, progress and prosperity of our
State.
Finally, May I commend the entire workforce of Edo State for ensuring that the
engine of governance runs smoothly. I admonish you to redouble your efforts in
the service of our people.
On my part, I wish to assure Edo people of my total commitment to the
enhancement of the progress of our beloved State and the prosperity and welfare
of our people.
Once again, I thank you, the good people of Edo state for your attention. God
bless you all and God bless Edo State.

Adams Aliyu Oshiomhole
Governor, Edo State
November 11, 2010