what hell have I created?

Ty Ler

Jan 19, 2018, 1:34:37 AM1/19/18
to Upspin
Just thought Id drop a line here to describe the setup I just created today.

I have a VPS cloud server that im running a dirserver and b2-storeserver on.  [Stores blocks on backblaze b2]
I have one of my boxes at home fuse mounting upspin. [which stores the data via above mentioned server]
I rooted my phone and sshfs mounted my [already] fuse mounted box at home [via VPN].
Now I have unlimited storage on my phone that can be shared with anyone via upspin.

Not sure if awesome or horrible.

Also I was wondering if anyone has some public folders? It's kinda lonely out here. I thought the entire purpose of this project was to share shit.

Ok enough rambling for one day. Peace.

Ty Ler

Jan 19, 2018, 4:28:58 AM1/19/18
to Upspin
Update: I downloaded open camera [1] and set the default folder to be my sshfs mounted folder, now my pictures get auto populated into upspin as soon as I take them.

Ryan Gonzalez

Jan 19, 2018, 9:50:14 AM1/19/18
to Ty Ler, Upspin
If your phone is rooted, you are able to use FUSE mounts directly. So, you could try cross-compiling the Upspin tools for Android, then copy-paste them to your phone and set it up in a terminal emulator app.
--
Ryan (ライアン)
Yoko Shimomura, ryo (supercell/EGOIST), Hiroyuki Sawano >> everyone else

Ty Ler

Jan 19, 2018, 12:04:36 PM1/19/18
to Upspin
Is there a way to tell upspin where ssh keys live? $HOME for root is on read only dir. I already tried this approach. Maybe if I just export HOME to something else? Will try again later today.

Ryan Gonzalez

Jan 19, 2018, 1:22:30 PM1/19/18
to Ty Ler, Upspin
Off the top of my head, you should be able to just re-export HOME. I'm
pretty sure I've done that before with other projects.

On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 11:04 AM, Ty Ler <tjgi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a way to tell upspin where ssh keys live? $HOME for root is on read only dir. I already tried this approach. Maybe if I just export HOME to something else? Will try again later today.

Ty Ler

Jan 19, 2018, 5:37:38 PM1/19/18
to Upspin
# ./upspinfs ~/storage/home
2018/01/19 22:36:18.086004 fuse.Mount failed: fusermount: exec: "fusermount": executable file not found in $PATH

Anyone know how to get fusermount on android?

Ryan Gonzalez

Jan 19, 2018, 6:30:20 PM1/19/18
to Ty Ler, Upspin
Ah, crud...you ever used the android NDK before?

First off, create a directory to store all this crud.

In order to get fusermount on Android, you have to use this repository:

https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_external_fuse

Clone it to external/fuse.

However, their own build scripts don't build fusermount. You have to
use a custom one; you can use mine here:

https://github.com/kirbyfan64/zdata/blob/master/fs/jni/fusermount.mk

You also need an Android.mk:

LOCAL_PATH := $(call my-dir)

include $(CLEAR_VARS)
include $(LOCAL_PATH)/external/fuse/lib/Android.mk \
$(LOCAL_PATH)/fusermount.mk

and an Application.mk:

NDK_TOOLCHAIN_VERSION := clang
APP_BUILD_SCRIPT := Android.mk
APP_PLATFORM := android-21
APP_MODULES := libfuse_static fusermount

So your directory right now should look like this:

Application.mk
Android.mk
fusecompress.mk
external/fuse <- android_external_fuse source code

Now you should be able to run:

ndk-build -C . APP_ABI=armeabi-v7a

in order to get a working fusermount binary.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/upspin/61c9949f-360b-489e-bfa6-cd5e295b240b%40googlegroups.com.

Ty Ler

Jan 19, 2018, 10:39:32 PM1/19/18
to Upspin
Do you have a binary? I'm getting some low level build errors

Ryan Gonzalez

Jan 19, 2018, 11:00:06 PM1/19/18
to Ty Ler, Upspin

Ty Ler

Jan 20, 2018, 4:19:52 PM1/20/18
to Upspin
Ha you're a lifesaver!!!!! It works wonderfully!!

Ty Ler

Jan 20, 2018, 4:52:52 PM1/20/18
to Upspin
Oh no. Another bit of a problem. Only root has access to folder so I can't have apps directly write to upspin. Can't find a way to deescalate perms on it.

Ryan Gonzalez

Jan 20, 2018, 5:02:50 PM1/20/18
to Ty Ler, Upspin
Welp, there doesn't seem to be a way to pass FUSE fs options to upspinfs...

Failing that, you can try using bindfs on top of upspinfs:

https://bindfs.org/
https://github.com/Sfinx/bindfs-android

e.g.:

bindfs -g everybody upsinfs-dir new-mount-point

or failing that (this will screw with permissions though):

bindfs -p 0777 upspinfs-dir new-mount-point