Prefixes attached to words in Hebrew

Danniella Blonde

Oct 11, 2019, 10:13:15 AM10/11/19
to Unitex-GramLab
Hello all,

I have a further question I hope you will be able to help me with.

In Hebrew prespositions are often bound morphemes which are prefixed to nouns. I have a lexicon of nouns and I would like to locate them in the text in all instances, when they appear with AND without the prefix. My lexicon is large and I want to avoid adding these prefixes manually to the lexicon.

Does anyone know whether this is possible? I assume the situation is similar in Arabic.

Best wishes

Danniella

eric.laporte

Oct 11, 2019, 11:26:04 AM10/11/19
to Unitex-GramLab
Hello Danniella,
Yes, the situation is similar in Arabic (and in Malagasy for verbs and Korean for suffixes). You can use 'morphological dictionary graphs' (user's manual, Section 3.8.4). In the dictionary of nouns, don't add the prefixes. In the graph, create a path with the prefix and another without the prefix. Declare the dictionary of nouns as 'morphological-mode dictionary'. When you apply the dictionaries to the text ('Apply lexical resources' in the Text menu), apply the graph (.fst2) instead of the dictionary of nouns (.bin).
This method allows you also to take into account compatibility/incompatibility between some prefixes and some nouns, and morphological variations of prefixes or nouns in contact with each other.
Best wishes,
Eric Laporte

Danniella Blonde

Oct 11, 2019, 11:35:02 AM10/11/19
to Unitex-GramLab
Hello Eric,

Thank you. The details are extremely helpful!

Kind regards

Danniella

Alexis Neme

Oct 20, 2019, 4:52:35 AM10/20/19
to Unitex-GramLab
Hi Daniella,

I am attaching  the grammar of  agglutinated Nouns (prfx_Noun_HU.grf ) for Arabic   (up to 4 segments) + and sub-graphs.

10 days after, but hope this example will still  help.

Cheers,
Alexis
prfx_Noun_HU.grf
Al.grf