episode 18: Distributed hash tables

Michiel B. de Jong

Apr 16, 2013, 6:22:30 AM4/16/13
to unho...@googlegroups.com
episode 18: Distributed hash tables

https://unhosted.org/decentralize/18/Distributed-hash-tables.html

comments welcome, just reply to this thread!

Cheers,
Michiel

Vincent

Apr 23, 2013, 2:50:25 PM4/23/13
to unho...@googlegroups.com
"Then you can deploy the servers you have available to each serve an overlapping section of that circle." I think you mean a non-overlapping section, or partition, given the next paragraph?

Vincent

Michiel B. de Jong

Apr 23, 2013, 6:18:37 PM4/23/13
to unho...@googlegroups.com
On 2013-04-23 20:50, Vincent wrote:
> "Then you can deploy the servers you have available to each serve an
> overlapping section of that circle." I think you mean a
> non-overlapping section, or partition, given the next paragraph?

Ah yes, the word 'overlapping' is unnecessary and therefore confusing
there, because the next paragraph already talks about that in more
detail.

thanks! i'll correct that.

Jon Armani

Jun 22, 2017, 3:40:19 PM6/22/17
to Unhosted Web Apps, anyt...@michielbdejong.com
"The first-level index can also be stored as a blob on the second level, meaning your client will only need to remember one hash string - the hash of the index."

I am confused on why this would work.  Wouldn't the the hash of the index change every time an object is modified/added?

Michiel de Jong

Jun 22, 2017, 4:04:45 PM6/22/17
to unhosted, Michiel B. de Jong (anything@michielbdejong.com)
Another way of thinking about a standard content-addressable dht is a library building where each members enters holding the library's guide book. You use your guide book to find the row, cabinet, shelf and position of the book you want.

The more advanced approach would be if the library member walks into the building empty-handed, and first goes to row 1, cabinet 1, shelf 1, position 1 to find the guide book, which itself is stored there as just another book in the library.

It's true that this index needs to be updated each time one library book changes, so this is not an efficient database system for data that changes often and for which the version history needs not be remembered.

Cheers,
Michiel.

--

---

Jon Armani

Jun 22, 2017, 4:07:31 PM6/22/17
to Unhosted Web Apps, anyt...@michielbdejong.com
That's a really good analogy, thank you.