episode 19: BGP, IP, DNS, HTTP, TLS, and NAT

Michiel B. de Jong

Apr 23, 2013, 10:05:46 AM4/23/13
to unho...@googlegroups.com

Leen Besselink

Apr 23, 2013, 3:24:21 PM4/23/13
to unho...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 04:05:46PM +0200, Michiel B. de Jong wrote:
> episode 19: BGP, IP, DNS, HTTP, TLS, and NAT
>
> https://unhosted.org/decentralize/19/BGP,-IP,-DNS,-HTTP,-TLS,-and-NAT.html

Michiel,

There are a few things I would like to comment on, it's just a few details:

- so far all providers I've seen that deploy Carrier Grade NAT also have deployed IPv6, the enduser might need to buy a new
DSL- or cable-route though.

- somewhere between 5% and 10% of the Internet browsers/users based on stats from gs.statcounter and Wikipedia do NOT support SNI

- the number of ASNs is about 45000, a couple of 1000 new ASNs each year.

- on the prices of IPv4/IPv6 address blocks and ASN, from the top of my head: one time setup costs is somewhere between 1000 euros
and 1500 euros, yearly about half that. You'll need to connect to other networks so you'll need some colo and at least a transit
contract. That is maybe an other 1000 setup costs and a couple of hundred euros a month. You'll need some technical skills to
know how to do it. It isn't terribly complicated for a small setup.

So expensive enough that you'll need a good reason to want to do it. Something like a business plan for example. If you have that
then you'll probably want a second Internet connection so you can actually enjoy the benefits of your own IP-addresses and ASN
and thus certain costs will double.

But there are also associations that have done it, like: http://coloclue.net/

If you did do all of this, it does not make you anonymous on the Internet tough only autonomous. An organisation like RIPE would
like to know the people/organisation behind the ASN/IP-addresses so the name of the organisation as known by for example the chamber
of commerce will be attached to the ASN/IP-addresses.

This was probably more information then you wanted to know. :-)

Have a great day,
Leen.

Michiel B. de Jong

Apr 23, 2013, 6:15:04 PM4/23/13
to unho...@googlegroups.com
No, very interesting stuff, thanks a lot! I'll update the post to
reflect this extra info.

Cheers,
Michiel

Michiel B. de Jong

Apr 25, 2013, 1:17:31 PM4/25/13
to unho...@googlegroups.com
> On 2013-04-23 21:24, Leen Besselink wrote:
>> - on the prices of IPv4/IPv6 address blocks and ASN, from the top of
>> my head: one time setup costs is somewhere between 1000 euros
>> and 1500 euros, yearly about half that. You'll need to connect to
>> other networks so you'll need some colo and at least a transit
>> contract. That is maybe an other 1000 setup costs and a couple of
>> hundred euros a month. You'll need some technical skills to
>> know how to do it. It isn't terribly complicated for a small setup.

Wait, what about the cost of the router? see
http://bill.herrin.us/network/bgpcost.html which quotes it as >$40,000,
five years ago. Did that price go down since?

I already published the updates from your other remarks, thanks!
https://github.com/unhosted/website/commit/db5cd2d6a302f5ec8e859bb68012ee890fca1701

Cheers,
Michiel

Leen Besselink

Apr 25, 2013, 2:16:05 PM4/25/13
to unho...@googlegroups.com
A modern Intel based server with the right NICs can do pretty low latency high packet rate 10 Gbit/s:

https://cast.switch.ch/vod/clips/26uo9i576i/flash.html

Intel has been doing a lot of work to make their architecture to fit the use case of pushing packets
(for example for virtualization).

And the routing software is available in the open source world.

For a small player in the Internet provider world on a small budget this could be enough.

There are also switches that support the BGP-routing protocol.

If you buy the right switch with enough memory (not sure if they exist in the current market) and
don't need a lot of BGP features, it will be cheaper than that 40.000 you quote above.

To give you an idea of the prices I quoted for traffic, they start at a connection of 100 Mbit/s and
the next step up is 1 Gbit/s.