Unhosted.py: remoteStorage dev server in Python

Bjarni Rúnar Einarsson

May 6, 2012, 9:08:21 AM5/6/12
to unho...@googlegroups.com
Hi all!

I just pushed to github a Python implementation of the remoteStorage API:

https://github.com/pagekite/plugins-pyUnhosted

It is complete enough to use with libredocs and the tutorial on 5apps.com.

This implementation is not meant to compete with enterprise-grade multi-user
installations, it is more of a "personal" remoteStorage, for folks who like to
keep their data close but still want to be part of the Unhosted ecosystem.

For now this is probably primarily of use to developers who are writing Unhosted
apps and want an easy way to monitor the requests hitting the server and take
a look at (or manipulate) the stored data - the object storage behind
Unhosted.py
is an easily explored and hacked directory tree in ~/.Unhosted.py/.

It's also a fun way to try and break apps by granting only some of the requested
permissions in the OAuth dialog (I haven't seen other implementations
allow this).

Let me know what you think, and let me know if it breaks. :-)

--
Bjarni R. Einarsson
Founder, lead developer of PageKite.

Make localhost servers visible to the world: https://pagekite.net/

Michiel de Jong

May 6, 2012, 9:56:05 AM5/6/12
to unho...@googlegroups.com
great stuff Bjarni!

for those who don't know pagekite, it's the net neutrality tool that
Opera Unite wanted to be. you just run it on your laptop, and it turns
your laptop into a webserver, try it!

Jan, we should feature this on our website!

cheers,
Michiel

Bjarni Rúnar Einarsson

May 6, 2012, 10:01:22 AM5/6/12
to unho...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Michiel :-)

Just to clarify, Unhosted.py can work just fine without PageKite, but
it's going to be a bit of a PITA to set up as you'll need to worry
about SSL etc. With PageKite, it's just a few quick commands.

PageKite also has a commercial side to it, where I'm hoping to make a
living running related services and providing support. Our startup is
currently offering free accounts to folks who are writing and
releasing Free-as-in-Freedom Software. I've been meaning to extend an
offer to the Unhosted.org team for a while, details are here:
https://pagekite.net/support/free-for-foss/.

- Bjarni