Stacking uNav's & compiling firmware

Dan Pollock

Nov 18, 2015, 1:08:08 PM11/18/15
to uNav-users
I'm going to use 2 uNav and 2Ubridge. Hoping to stack them and what I was wondering is if those headers plug into each other when you stack the boards? Or do they need enough space between them to keep those from touching.

Another thing I found trying to compile the firmware. Not really necessary since the bin files are available. You need to install the microchip compiler/ide to create the files you need to compile the firmware. Two files are created when you install the ide that are machine specific so when you create an archive they aren't included. Once you install the ide you can copy the two files into the archive directory structure and your compile will work fine.

Haven't been able to get the microchip ide to install on a TK1 yet. Hopefully it will be easier on the Tx1 and gazebo will work as well. I managed to get gazebo to compile but its just too slow to use very well on the TK1.

I like the PID tuner software. It compiled right away once I installed QT Creator.

One other thing I found while getting the software together. Use the link under Release to get the source. I tried it by downloading the zip and had problems with missing messages. Once I downloaded it via that link it compiled right away no problems.

So I'm all set when the boards arrive I should be able to get them installed quickly. Hopefully there will be a 64bit ROS available soon for the Tx1. But it should run the 32 bit version with no problems.

Walter "Myzhar" Lucetti

Nov 19, 2015, 2:25:11 AM11/19/15
to uNav-users

Hi Dan,

On Wednesday, November 18, 2015 at 7:08:08 PM UTC+1, Dan Pollock wrote:
I'm going to use 2 uNav and 2Ubridge. Hoping to stack them and what I was wondering is if those headers plug into each other when you stack the boards? Or do they need enough space between them to keep those from touching.

You can stack one uNav and one uBridge, but not two uNavs. You must have two different stacks.
Between uNav and uBridge the space is about 10 mm

Another thing I found trying to compile the firmware. Not really necessary since the bin files are available. You need to install the microchip compiler/ide to create the files you need to compile the firmware. Two files are created when you install the ide that are machine specific so when you create an archive they aren't included. Once you install the ide you can copy the two files into the archive directory structure and your compile will work fine.

Can you open an issue on Github about this? We are trying to solve that problem since a lot of time and we cannot figure out how...

Haven't been able to get the microchip ide to install on a TK1 yet. Hopefully it will be easier on the Tx1 and gazebo will work as well. I managed to get gazebo to compile but its just too slow to use very well on the TK1.

I never tried... I prefer to develop and debug firmware on my laptop or desktop PC. Gazebo on TK1 is really too slow, I want to try on the TX1, but it is not a priority

I like the PID tuner software. It compiled right away once I installed QT Creator.

Yes, but it is not working yet. It was developed for a previous version of the firmware and we must modifiy it such to manage latest communication protocol.

Walter