What is the range of LoRa in the line of Sight?

master.o...@gmail.com

Dec 26, 2017, 2:57:05 PM12/26/17
to UKHAS
We are going to use LoRa chip to track our High Altitude Balloon Satellite. Our balloon will reach up to the height of the 31,000 meters and will stay in our line of sight.

Do you think, LoRa will be able to track that Satellite? and, What is the range of LoRa in the line of sight?

David Akerman

Dec 26, 2017, 3:06:58 PM12/26/17
to UKHAS
Depends on power and bandwidth and the other LoRa settings.

IME with bandwidth of 62kHz or less, and power of 10mW, it'll reach the horizon.

I've also used 300kHz bandwidth and for that the range is more limited - maybe 50 miles to a chase car and around 100 miles with fixed station and Yagi.

Dave

On 25 December 2017 at 03:40, <master.o...@gmail.com> wrote:
We are going to use LoRa chip to track our High Altitude Balloon Satellite. Our balloon will reach up to the height of the 31,000 meters and will stay in our line of sight.

Do you think, LoRa will be able to track that Satellite? and, What is the range of LoRa in the line of sight?

David Akerman

Dec 26, 2017, 3:07:44 PM12/26/17
to UKHAS
I mean 250kHz, not 300.

master.o...@gmail.com

Dec 27, 2017, 8:25:01 AM12/27/17
to UKHAS
We are suing 433 MHz

David Akerman

Dec 27, 2017, 10:01:36 AM12/27/17
to UKHAS
That's not entirely useful information at this stage.

Do you know what LoRa settings you intend to use?  As I said, bandwidth is the most relevant to your question.

Dave

On 27 Dec 2017 1:25 p.m., <master.o...@gmail.com> wrote:
We are suing 433 MHz

Omkar Kadam

Dec 28, 2017, 3:21:07 AM12/28/17
to uk...@googlegroups.com
No sir, I am not familiar with any of the LoRa settings.

I want to figure out the range of Hoperf's RFM98W and the chips in that series.

I want to know, the range of LoRa chip, you have got while tracking a Balloon. So that, I'll start working on the other technical details.

Stuart Robinson

Dec 28, 2017, 3:21:07 AM12/28/17
to UKHAS
On Tuesday, December 26, 2017 at 7:57:05 PM UTC, master.o...@gmail.com wrote:

> Do you think, LoRa will be able to track that Satellite? and, What is the range of LoRa in the line of sight?

The answer is, it depends.

The range of LoRa will depend on, LoRa settings used (bandwidth, spreading factor), transmit power, transmit antenna type, receive antenna type and of course frequency and height.

The longest distance I have seen reported is 702km;

https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/article/ground-breaking-world-record-lorawan-packet-received-at-702-km-436-miles-distance?source=techstories.org

Thats 868Mhz, 25mw and I beleive SF12 at bandwidth 125khz.

The radio horizon at that height (38722km) is 811km, so with suitably chosen LoRa parameters the limiting factor for reception is likley to be the radio horizon.

Stuart Robinson

Dec 28, 2017, 3:21:07 AM12/28/17
to UKHAS
On Wednesday, December 27, 2017 at 1:25:01 PM UTC, master.o...@gmail.com wrote:
> We are suing 433 MHz

The 702km 'record' I posted was at 868Mhz, 14dBm.

So with the free space loss at 433Mhz being 6dB less, you could expect to achieve the same distance with 8dBm (6.3mW) at 433Mhz

ant .

Jan 12, 2018, 12:06:55 PM1/12/18
to uk...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dave, what sort of antenna do you use in your chase car to get that
sort of range?

...ant