SKYGLOBE FOR WINDOWS

Andrew MacGreggor - Isle of Colonsay

Oct 10, 2001, 4:49:37 PM10/10/01
I have had a copy of the DOS version of Skyglobe, v3.6, for years but
now need a Windows based version for use on a new laptop. Can some kind
person tell me what the latest version is and from whence it can be
down-loaded or bought? The only version I have been able to find on the
web is 1.0 but have found references to 2.0.
--
Andrew MacGreggor - Isle of Colonsay

blurstall

Oct 11, 2001, 7:20:52 AM10/11/01
I registered my skyglobe 3.6 and also purchased V2 for windows.
Still a top program in my opinion.
I have tried to trace the author but no luck - perhaps he is involved
with one of the current offerings?
The DOS version works very well under windows!
Any information would be most welcome.
(Author: Mark A Haney; Company: KlassM software).

DK Melbourne

Pete Lawrence

Oct 11, 2001, 7:48:05 AM10/11/01

Haven't got a clue what you're on about (because I've never used the
program) but in a bored minute or two I did a quick search. There
seems to be a Windows version 4.

http://sirrah.troja.mff.cuni.cz/~mira/astronomie/Dalsi_soubory/Install/

I don't know if this is what you were looking for. I hope it helps...

--
Pete

blurstall

Oct 11, 2001, 7:53:18 AM10/11/01
That's actually Skyglobe V1 for Windows.
V2 came out a bit later, in 1995.
The registered version contains 7 data files totally
approx 50MB. The shareware version contains
the 1st data file - about 600K.

"Pete Lawrence" <pb...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message

Pete Lawrence

Oct 11, 2001, 8:53:59 AM10/11/01
On Thu, 11 Oct 2001 11:53:18 GMT, "blurstall"
<rep...@newsgoup.please> wrote:

>That's actually Skyglobe V1 for Windows.
>V2 came out a bit later, in 1995.
>The registered version contains 7 data files totally
>approx 50MB. The shareware version contains
>the 1st data file - about 600K.

Why is it called SkyGlobe 4 then?

Zip file = SkyGlb40.ZIP.

Could be a barstardisation of the exe name - sg4win.exe (SkyGlobe for
Windows?) I guess.

--
Pete

blurstall

Oct 12, 2001, 4:23:44 AM10/12/01

> On Thu, 11 Oct 2001 11:53:18 GMT, "blurstall"
> <rep...@newsgoup.please> wrote:
>
> >That's actually Skyglobe V1 for Windows.
> >V2 came out a bit later, in 1995.
> >The registered version contains 7 data files totally
> >approx 50MB. The shareware version contains
> >the 1st data file - about 600K.
>
> Why is it called SkyGlobe 4 then?

unzip it and you'll see :)

Andrew MacGreggor - Isle of Colonsay

Oct 12, 2001, 8:18:05 AM10/12/01
In article <ogfx7.25158$Tv6.1...@news1.rdc1.nsw.optushome.com.au>,
blurstall <rep...@newsgoup.please> writes
It depends on which version of Windows. I have no trouble with WIN98 but
WIN Me does give problems, I think it is because Me does not use a DOS
kernel.

Chris Marriott

Oct 12, 2001, 2:09:30 PM10/12/01

"blurstall" <rep...@newsgoup.please> wrote in message

> I registered my skyglobe 3.6 and also purchased V2 for windows.
> Still a top program in my opinion.
> I have tried to trace the author but no luck - perhaps he is involved
> with one of the current offerings?

To the best of my knowledge, Mark Hanney, the author of SkyGlobe, dropped
out of the business MANY years ago and nobody's heard from him since. It was
strange - one week he was active on such things as the CompuServe astronomy
forum (this was in "pre-Usenet" days!) and the next week he just vanished.
There was a lot of speculation that he might he died, but I don't think
anyone actually found out for sure what had happened to him.

Regards,

--
Chris
Chris Marriott, SkyMap Software, UK

Brendan DJ Murphy

Oct 12, 2001, 4:06:22 PM10/12/01
I have a copy of Skyglobe for Windows and enjoy it very much!

Because of the disappearance of the author (Mark Haney /KlassM Software )
who actually owns the copyright of his program?

Would I be breaching copyright laws if I was to make it available for
down-loading from a website (completely non-profit of course)

One thing which I particularly like is the Windows Screen-Saver which comes
with it;
a simple spinning display of the celestial sphere.

"Chris Marriott" <ch...@chrism.nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

Chris Marriott

Oct 13, 2001, 4:35:33 AM10/13/01

"Brendan DJ Murphy" <bre...@cpac.org.uk> wrote in message

> I have a copy of Skyglobe for Windows and enjoy it very much!
>
> Because of the disappearance of the author (Mark Haney /KlassM Software )
> who actually owns the copyright of his program?

If Mark is still in the land of the living, he obviously does. If he's not,
then his heirs do. Copyright extends for the lifetime of the author, plus 70
years.

> Would I be breaching copyright laws if I was to make it available for
> down-loading from a website (completely non-profit of course)

Yes, definitely! The fact that a program is no longer sold does not place it
in the "public domain".

Graham W

Oct 13, 2001, 8:57:41 AM10/13/01

> "Brendan DJ Murphy" <bre...@cpac.org.uk> wrote in message
> > I have a copy of Skyglobe for Windows and enjoy it very much!
> >
> > Because of the disappearance of the author (Mark Haney /KlassM
Software )
> > who actually owns the copyright of his program?
>
> If Mark is still in the land of the living, he obviously does. If he's
not,
> then his heirs do. Copyright extends for the lifetime of the author, plus
70
> years.
> >
> > Would I be breaching copyright laws if I was to make it available for
> > down-loading from a website (completely non-profit of course)
>
> Yes, definitely! The fact that a program is no longer sold does not place
it
> in the "public domain".

But it's Shareware and is available all over the world so why do
you think it is a copyright infringement to offer it to others on
a non-profit basis?

A Google search reveals a PO Box address for him in Ann Arbor, MI.

--
Graham W http://www.gcw.org.uk/ DIY Astro Projects, Graphics Tutorial

Rod Mollise

Oct 13, 2001, 10:26:52 AM10/13/01
>The only version I have been able to find on the
>web is 1.0 but have found references to 2.0.

HI Andrew:

I don't believe anything past 1.0 was ever released by the author, who hasn't
supported/updated his groundbreaking and award winning program in a LONG time.
The DOS version was and still is great, but the Win version never really was
bug free.

My suggestion? Cartes du Ciel. It's a freeware program that does far more than
Skyglobe or SG Win ever did. <http://www.stargazing.net/astropc/index.html>

Peace,
Rod Mollise
Like SCTs and MCTs?
Check-out sct-user, the mailing list for CAT fanciers!
Goto <http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index.html>

Chris Marriott

Oct 13, 2001, 10:46:53 AM10/13/01

"Graham W" <gra...@graham-wood.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

> But it's Shareware and is available all over the world so why do
> you think it is a copyright infringement to offer it to others on
> a non-profit basis?

Shareware is a marketing technique - nothing more. It certainly doesn't
change the copyright status of the material in question!

There's probably no problem with making the evaluation version of SkyGlobe
available on your web site, but the "registered" version of the program is
definitely not freely distributable.

Grunt

Oct 14, 2001, 1:51:39 PM10/14/01
On Wed, 10 Oct 2001 21:49:37 +0100, Andrew MacGreggor - Isle of
Colonsay <and...@glengyle.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>I have had a copy of the DOS version of Skyglobe, v3.6, for years but
>now need a Windows based version for use on a new laptop. Can some kind
>person tell me what the latest version is and from whence it can be
>down-loaded or bought? The only version I have been able to find on the
>web is 1.0 but have found references to 2.0.

This is probably well off but I thought I would mention it. I use ME
(yuk!) and have Starcalc installed. I have no idea about SkyGlobe but
though this might be a viable alternative for you. Others in the group
may have more useful comparisons to make between the two
applications....

Starcalc is free to download and you can use it as a screensaver by
just leaving it running althiuygh there might be a screensaver option.

Its freely downloadable from
http://www.m31.spb.ru/StarCalc/main.htm

and has several plugins to download as well - and you can add various
databases.

It does me anyway!

Bob P
(Southampton)
--
The man who says it cannot be done should not interupt the man who is trying to
do it (Chinese proverb)

nikas....@gmail.com

Jan 28, 2016, 8:59:33 AM1/28/16
Dear All, Actually you would not breach copyright laws in Mark's mind. Back in the early nineties Mark sent me two copies and said I could distribute as many copies as I wanted to up to 28. He stated that it wouldn't be worth his while to go legally after anyone who simply wanted to use his work

I am just saying

Haynik