"Do you have to park here"

Dave Mayall

Jan 20, 2003, 8:19:19 AM1/20/03
Went for a little cruise at the weekend. Only to Stalybridge and back.

We moored just above lock 6W, to be treated to a tirade of abuse from the
resident of one of the terraced houses, demanding to know why we couldn't "park"
somewhere else!

Would we like it if "Dirty smelly boats" parked outside our house?

She proceeded to tell us that "These houses were here before the canal"
(I think not, although the canal was infilled for a while, and they had the
dubious pleasures of a dirty smelly factory outside the back door)

Apparently, the mooring rings there should never have been put in and she was
already sorting out having them removed.

I suggested that if she disliked "dirty smelly boats" so much, she should take
advantage of the fact that her house has jumped in value from 20 to 100 thousand
pounds and move.

Once madam had departed, the crew spent a long time persuading me NOT to but all
my dirty engine rags on the stove.

Some people eh?

dave hill

Jan 20, 2003, 8:43:46 AM1/20/03
Dave Mayall <da...@research-group.co.uk> wrote

>Went for a little cruise at the weekend. Only to Stalybridge and back.
>
>We moored just above lock 6W, to be treated to a tirade of abuse from the
>resident of one of the terraced houses, demanding to know why we
>couldn't "park"
>somewhere else!
>
>Would we like it if "Dirty smelly boats" parked outside our house?
>
>She proceeded to tell us that "These houses were here before the canal"
>(I think not, although the canal was infilled for a while, and they had the
>dubious pleasures of a dirty smelly factory outside the back door)

You cant please some people.
So she would like it if it was still filled in and just a stagnant
ditch ,

>Apparently, the mooring rings there should never have been put in and she was
>already sorting out having them removed.

Well the rings are there for a purpose to whit to tie up the boat while
waiting to get through a lock or stay moored ; maybe she was worried
that you were going to moor there for a long time.

>I suggested that if she disliked "dirty smelly boats" so much, she should take
>advantage of the fact that her house has jumped in value from 20 to 100
>thousand
>pounds and move.

Get her with the new concept windfall tax on improved transport links
that will shut her up while suffering apoplectic fits. Something that is
being
mentioned with reference to rail links in London

>Once madam had departed, the crew spent a long time persuading me
>NOT to but all
>my dirty engine rags on the stove.

Good cooking better than the local fishie or curry house.

--
dave hill

Dave Mayall

Jan 20, 2003, 10:38:04 AM1/20/03
dave hill wrote:

> You cant please some people.
> So she would like it if it was still filled in and just a stagnant
> ditch ,

Judge for yourself!!

Before:
http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/archive/st/sta05.jpg

After:
http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/archive/st/stb234.jpg

David Long

Jan 20, 2003, 11:38:56 AM1/20/03
In message <3E2C17DC...@research-group.co.uk>, Dave Mayall
<da...@research-group.co.uk> writes

Is that the same spot? Can't see any houses on the left.
--
David Long
Sankey Canal Restoration Society http://www.scars.org.uk/

dave hill

Jan 20, 2003, 11:27:29 AM1/20/03
Dave Mayall <da...@research-group.co.uk> wrote
Well Ok a concrete ditch then. The before view if that is near her home
what planet is she on or what is she smoking behind the curtains!
--
dave hill

Goforcure

Jan 20, 2003, 11:55:15 AM1/20/03
>> You cant please some people.

Tell her to go and boil er head!!

Roger Murray

Jan 20, 2003, 12:56:08 PM1/20/03
I was in Stourbridge the other day and it brought back a memory of a boating
incident I shall never want to repeat. I posted it on this Newsgroup years
ago. As it could so easily happen any of you, especially if you are a bit
absent minded like me, I thought it worth resurrecting from the archives.

Some years back I agreed to bring a boat from Stourport back to
Macclesfield. It was before I had Monarch and at the time it seemed to be a
good idea as it would provide a bit of boating on the Staffs and Worcester,
a canal I had never ventured on before. The boat was an ex hire boat
bought by a friend on impulse, so it was a bit of an unknown quantity. We
drove down to Stourport with all the provisions and crew, left the car in a
convenient car park, and within a couple of hours were chugging happily
along the canal towards home.
The engine started play up and after a lot of problems we got no further
than ten or so miles before it completely packed up.

It was now about ten thirtyish in the evening and it didn't look as if we
going to go much further. I decided to go in the local pub and phone up for
a taxi to take me to Stourport to pick up the car as we would need it the
next day to pick up some bits for the engine. The taxi driver was in a bit
of a rush as he had to get back for another fare, and as I wasn't over sure
where the car was except that it was near the canal basin, I agreed to let
him drop me off next to where he said the canal was in the town. I paid him
and off he sped.

It was a wet cold miserable night and I wandered about slowly beginning to
realise that nothing was familiar and it didn't take long for it to dawn
on me that I had been dropped in Stourbridge instead of Stourport. I
went to the bus station but all the buses had gone. It was now
absolutely pouring down and all I had on was jeans and sweater, expecting to
transfer straight from a taxi to the car. As on any wet night at this
god forsaken hour, the place was completely deserted with nobody to ask
where a taxi company was. I eventually found a telephone box (This was
in the olden days before mobiles) but it was vandalised. I was now
soaked through and must have looked a bedraggled mess, To add to this I was
dirty from working on the engine. I felt like a refugee in a hostile foreign
land. The only signs of life were the anonymous cars whizzing through
the black puddles to unknown destinations, like ships which
pass in the night.

A man came out of a side street and started to get into a car. I paddled
across and tapped on the window, he looked quite startled, then reluctantly
wound
the window down a few inches. I briefly explained my plight and asked if
he knew of a taxi company. He looked me up and down, hesitated and then
reluctantly invited to get in, he said that he had the number at home
and would ring for one for me. We got to his house on a big stark
housing estate which seemed miles from anywhere, he told me to wait at
the gate whilst he phoned for a cab (He certainly wasn't taking any
chances and who could blame him) He came out and told me to wait at the
street corner as a cab would come in about five minutes. I waited a
good fifteen minutes, by this time soaked through to the skin and
shivering. Praying that every set of car lights appearing on the
horizon would be the cab. It didn't come. I ventured back to his
house, luckily the bedroom lights were still on. He appeared at the door in
his dressing gown which didn't help matters overmuch. I explained that no
cab had
arrived, Without saying anything he made it plain that I was a nuisance
but agreed to phone again. (I paid him the telephone money in each case
so I certainly wasn't asking for his charity) Again back to the dreaded
corner where it was now bucketing it down, the only shelter being a
sparse tree which seemed to shed more water than the rain. Again nothing
came. It is surprising how easy it is to become a totally unwanted stranger
in an every day English town. It's very unnerving! I was beginning to feel
quite desperate, completely wet through and seriously cold and shivering. It
was now getting on for midnight and there was hardly a light in sight. It
was one of those vast housing estates, with no shops or pubs, just rows of
houses. I didn't know where I was or which way to walk.
Just as I was about to give up some car lights appeared, it was the cab. He
took me in silence to Stourport where he dropped me off next to my car.

Believe me I have never loved a car so much in my life, I could have
kissed and hugged it! When I opened the door and the vanity light went
on, there were all my familiar things together with the cars own smell
which I can assure was like nectar . I sunk into the luxury of the seat
in ecstasy. I light appeared at the window together with a knock. It
was a couple of police officers together with a patrol car. The cab
driver must have tipped them off. 'Would you mind getting out of the car
sir' Again out into the cold rain. I had nothing to identify myself
with. It was all in my jacket on the boat. After a lot of questioning
and the police relaying the details via their radio I was finally
allowed to go.

Driving back to the boat it was like coming out of a bad dream as if I
had just escaped over the border from Russia or somewhere. How
wonderful to be back in England driving along seeing cats eyes and
trees and villages and things, and most important, to be someone! Beware
it can happen to an inocent
Stourbridge!

Roger.

Google Home - Advertise with Us - Search Solutions - Services & Tools -
Jobs, Press, & Help

David Long

Jan 20, 2003, 4:40:51 PM1/20/03
In message <usoo2v4q9hm6tv3hr...@4ax.com>, martin
<mar...@wanadoo.nl> writes
>On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 16:38:56 +0000, David Long <Da...@scars.org.uk>
>wrote:

>>In message <3E2C17DC...@research-group.co.uk>, Dave Mayall
>><da...@research-group.co.uk> writes

>>>Judge for yourself!!
>>>
>>>Before:
>>>http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/archive/st/sta05.jpg
>>>
>>>After:
>>>http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/archive/st/stb234.jpg
>>
>>Is that the same spot? Can't see any houses on the left.
>
>You are distracted by Tescos.

Okay, I've closed my right eye - I still can't see a row of terraced

Martin Ludgate

Jan 21, 2003, 6:12:42 AM1/21/03
In article <3E2BF757...@research-group.co.uk>, Dave
Mayall <da...@research-group.co.uk> writes

>Went for a little cruise at the weekend. Only to Stalybridge and back.
>
>We moored just above lock 6W, to be treated to a tirade of abuse from the
>resident of one of the terraced houses, demanding to know why we
>couldn't "park"
>somewhere else!
>
>Would we like it if "Dirty smelly boats" parked outside our house?

I would very much like it if some dirty smelly boats parked outside
my house! It would make such a nice change from all those cars
- you don't get many boats of any kind parked in back-streets in
south east London...

>She proceeded to tell us that "These houses were here before the canal"
>(I think not, although the canal was infilled for a while, and they had the
>dubious pleasures of a dirty smelly factory outside the back door)
>
>Apparently, the mooring rings there should never have been put in and
>she was
>already sorting out having them removed.

The sad thing is that sometimes BW (or whoever) cave-in to this
sort of pressure and remove bollards / put in 'no mooring' signs to
placate the local residents. I can think of several places (on the
Rochdale, the K&A and the S&W if I remember rightly) where this
has happened.
--
Martin Ludgate

Dave Mayall

Jan 21, 2003, 7:09:19 AM1/21/03
Martin Ludgate wrote:

> The sad thing is that sometimes BW (or whoever) cave-in to this
> sort of pressure and remove bollards / put in 'no mooring' signs to
> placate the local residents. I can think of several places (on the
> Rochdale, the K&A and the S&W if I remember rightly) where this
> has happened.

Indeed.

Forewarned is however (as they say) forearmed!

Jonathan Stafford

Jan 21, 2003, 7:56:42 AM1/21/03
Im having visions of a news group weekend rally right outside her back door,
just to get her really fired up!! Any takers? :)
Jonathan
"martin" <mar...@wanadoo.nl> wrote in message

> On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 15:38:04 +0000, Dave Mayall
> <da...@research-group.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >dave hill wrote:
> >
> >> You cant please some people.
> >> So she would like it if it was still filled in and just a stagnant
> >> ditch ,
> >
> >Judge for yourself!!
> >
> >Before:
> >http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/archive/st/sta05.jpg
>
> Is that one of Saddam H.'s weapons of mas destruction lurking in the
> background?

Dave Mayall

Jan 21, 2003, 9:50:51 AM1/21/03
Jonathan Stafford wrote:

> Im having visions of a news group weekend rally right outside her back door,
> just to get her really fired up!! Any takers? :)

The thought did occur to me :-)

Now, what we want is somebody who confirms to her worst stereotype to
take prime position outside her gate.

dave hill

Jan 21, 2003, 8:51:51 AM1/21/03
Jonathan Stafford <jonathan...@tesco.net> writes

>Im having visions of a news group weekend rally right outside her back door,
>just to get her really fired up!! Any takers? :)
>Jonathan
LOL
Actually how about an IWA event at/near her back door :-))))
--
dave hill

john

Jan 21, 2003, 1:33:09 PM1/21/03

Goforcure <gofo...@aol.com> wrote in message

> >> You cant please some people.
>
> Tell her to go and boil er head!!

Boy that has got to stink!
Surely it would be better to disinfect it?
Or just use a composting loo instead:-)))

john

Jan 21, 2003, 2:21:10 PM1/21/03

Roger Murray <ro...@timbuktu.u-net.com> wrote in message
So true!, so true:-)
Stourbridge is a heartless place, I live but under a mile from there.
Can't think of a large housing estate without pubs or shops though.
There is a taxi cab company at the bus station and before 1985 the bus
garage would have been staffed at night.
The bus station is just off foster street, where once stood the factory of
Foster and(can't recall) co.ltd, the builders of the Stourbridge Lion the
first Steam Engine to run on rails in The USA.
The town was in its heyday a railway town with large marshalling yards and a
brick bridge with ten arches carries the Stourbridge to Walsall line over
the road to Birmingham.
The railway track from Stourbridge town to Stourbridge Junction is the
shortest track or train journey in the World and many enthusiasts journey to
the town just to travel on it.
The Stourbridge arm ends at the Old Wharf house just before Amblecote
Church!

Vic and June

Jan 21, 2003, 3:40:17 PM1/21/03
One of the joys of boating is that, if you fall out with your neighbours, you
can cruise into the sunset.
As one visiter said to her hubby when sh had had one too meny "Shut to F*** up"
We were expecting blood and sn** all over the boat but lukily they left
quietly.

Clogdancer on a fat boat. Abandoned the north to explore the other half before
it sinks.

Dave Croft

Jan 21, 2003, 4:55:10 PM1/21/03
"john" <ny...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message news:3e2da...@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com...

> The railway track from Stourbridge town to Stourbridge Junction is the
> shortest track or train journey in the World and many enthusiasts journey to
> the town just to travel on it.

Hi John, how long is the track for this?
I remember Warrington having a journey of about 200 yards between
Warrington Low Level & Warrington Arpley.
The track is still there but both stations have now gone.
--
Dave Croft
England

john

Jan 21, 2003, 5:26:25 PM1/21/03

Dave Croft <dave....@btinternet.com> wrote in message

> "john" <ny...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> > The railway track from Stourbridge town to Stourbridge Junction is the
> > shortest track or train journey in the World and many enthusiasts
journey to
> > the town just to travel on it.
>
> Hi John, how long is the track for this?

Sorry! I've often travelled along it, but I've never found out its length.
Will try to find out for U! tomorrow.

Tim Lewis

Jan 21, 2003, 7:37:31 PM1/21/03
>Subject: Re: Beware of Stourbridge. OT
>From: "john" ny...@tiscali.co.uk
>Date: 21/01/2003 11:26 GMT Daylight Time

>Dave Croft <dave....@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>> "john" <ny...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>> > The railway track from Stourbridge town to Stourbridge Junction is the
>> > shortest track or train journey in the World and many enthusiasts
>journey to
>> > the town just to travel on it.
>>
>> Hi John, how long is the track for this?
>
>Sorry! I've often travelled along it, but I've never found out its length.
>Will try to find out for U! tomorrow.

IIRC its about threequarters of a mile long Having been bought up in
Stourbridge before escaping to civilisation in London I travelled on it many a
time. Mind you having the same train go backwards and forwards all day did tend
to make trainspotting very boring!
*************************
Tim Lewis
Home e-mail: t...@timlewis.org.uk
Web Page: http://www.timlewis.org.uk
NB Fulbourne: http://www.fulbourne.org.uk
Home phone: 020 8367 6227
Mobile phone: 07802 518094
****************************

Chris N Deuchar

Jan 22, 2003, 5:04:28 AM1/22/03
On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 15:38:04 +0000, Dave Mayall wrote:

If these really were taken from the same point, am I unique in
thinking that the former probably *was* quieter and more peaceful?

Obviously this woman has a problem - but I do not think that
antagonising her further (as most people seem to suggest) is the
way to resolve it.

Chris D
--
ch...@deuchars.co.uk http://www.Deuchars.co.uk
Author & Publisher: "A Boaters Guide to BOATING" 4-50GBP

Dave Mayall

Jan 22, 2003, 6:50:34 AM1/22/03
martin wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Jan 2003 14:50:51 +0000, Dave Mayall
> <da...@research-group.co.uk> wrote:

> >Now, what we want is somebody who confirms to her worst stereotype to
> >take prime position outside her gate.
>

> off you go then Dave :-)

OUCH!!

Dave Mayall

Jan 22, 2003, 7:03:42 AM1/22/03
Chris N Deuchar wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 15:38:04 +0000, Dave Mayall wrote:
>
> > Before:
> > http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/archive/st/sta05.jpg
> > After:
> > http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/archive/st/stb234.jpg
>
> If these really were taken from the same point, am I unique in
> thinking that the former probably *was* quieter and more peaceful?

The former was an access route for HGV traffic!

martin

Jan 22, 2003, 7:20:05 AM1/22/03
David Long wrote...

>In message <3E2C17DC...@research-group.co.uk>, Dave Mayall
><da...@research-group.co.uk> writes
>>dave hill wrote:
>>
>>> You cant please some people.
>>> So she would like it if it was still filled in and just a stagnant
>>> ditch ,
>>
>>Judge for yourself!!
>>
>>Before:
>>http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/archive/st/sta05.jpg
>>
>>After:
>>http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/archive/st/stb234.jpg
>
>Is that the same spot? Can't see any houses on the left.

The black gates on the left are the back gates to the houses.
For a view from further back, see
http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/archive/st/stb080.jpg

or see a series of pictures as the scene transformed at
http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/huddersfield/hnc53g.htm
--
Martin Clark

Pennine Waterways Website http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk

martin

Jan 22, 2003, 7:27:58 AM1/22/03
Dave Mayall wrote...

We've already had a small event take place outside her back gate, as can
be seen at http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/huddersfield/open21.htm

Don't you recall this scene, Dave?
http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/archive/op/stb312.jpg
I'm sure you were there somewhere.

Dave Mayall

Jan 22, 2003, 9:14:44 AM1/22/03
martin wrote:

> Don't you recall this scene, Dave?
> http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/archive/op/stb312.jpg
> I'm sure you were there somewhere.

Well, the picture looks to have been taken from Lilith's cabin roof, so I'm
probably underneath the cameraman making mugs of tea!

Bob Adams

Jan 22, 2003, 2:00:28 PM1/22/03
In message <ZvhX+nF1...@auluk.freeserve.co.uk>, martin
<newsg...@penninewaterways.co.uk> writes

>The black gates on the left are the back gates to the houses.
>For a view from further back, see
>http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/archive/st/stb080.jpg

Woo-hoo! I imagined from her reaction some idyllic country scene of
peace and tranquility. Thanks for the photos Martin, now we can all see
that she is clearly off her rocker.

Bob.

--
Bob Adams - NB Ophelia. email to: ams...@ntlworld.com

Adrian Stott

Jan 22, 2003, 3:19:38 PM1/22/03
On Tue, 21 Jan 2003 19:21:10 -0000, "john" <ny...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

>Roger Murray <ro...@timbuktu.u-net.com> wrote in message
>> I was in Stourbridge the other day and it brought back a memory of a
>boating
>> incident I shall never want to repeat. I posted it on this Newsgroup years
>> ago. As it could so easily happen any of you, especially if you are a bit
>> absent minded like me, I thought it worth resurrecting from the archives.
>>
>> Some years back I agreed to bring a boat from Stourport back to
>> Macclesfield. It was before I had Monarch and at the time it seemed to be

When was the basin at the end of the Stourbridge arm filled in? I
mean, the one beyond the blocked off bridge just after the Bonded
Warehouse?

Too bad it's gone. It would have made a much better winding hole.
But it looks like it was copiously filled in and then filled over, to
make it into a car park for a car dealership or something, so I guess
it is gone longterm.

Adrian

Neil Arlidge

Jan 22, 2003, 3:35:00 PM1/22/03
Jonathan Stafford wrote:
> Im having visions of a news group weekend rally right outside her
> back door, just to get her really fired up!! Any takers? :)
> Jonathan

Me and Commander Chapman will endeavour to park there in July.
--
Neil Arlidge - NB Earnest
Follow the travels of the TNC at: http://www.tuesdaynightclub.co.uk

john

Jan 22, 2003, 4:31:00 PM1/22/03

Neil Arlidge <ne...@tuesdaynightclub.co.uk> wrote in message

> Jonathan Stafford wrote:
> > Im having visions of a news group weekend rally right outside her
> > back door, just to get her really fired up!! Any takers? :)
> > Jonathan
>
> Me and Commander Chapman will endeavour to park there in July.

Do be careful chaps and chapesses!, there is such a law as stalking doncha
know?

john

Jan 22, 2003, 4:49:32 PM1/22/03

Adrian Stott <ba...@enable.telinco.com> wrote in message

A story a story, I'm going to tell a story:-))
Whilst serving Q and country back in the early to late sixties, I got a
traffic surveying job with Stourbridge UDC whilst on three weeks leave.
I stood with five others in Worcester street and we wrote down the vehicle
type and direction and time for three days between six am and six pm, we had
to take sandwiches and flasks as we weren't allowed meal breaks, we used a
Doctors surgery lavvy.
I was paid the then princely sum of Thirty pounds, I was getting five
guineas at the time in the army.

Bought girlfriend an engagement ring of a ruby surrounded by diamonds.
Subsequent to our divorce she stopped wearing it, but upon her second
marraige she started wearing it again.
Valued for insurance purposes it came in at four thousand pounds, not bad
for forty years.

The survey was used as a reason for constructing the ring road around
Stourbridge.
It was completed sometime between 1966 and 1968 the time I was serving in
the Far East so I'm not too sure when the cut was cut off for certain.

Tim Lewis

Jan 22, 2003, 5:14:40 PM1/22/03
>Subject: Re: Beware of Stourbridge.
>From: "john" ny...@tiscali.co.uk
>Date: 22/01/2003 10:49 GMT Daylight Time

<Snip>

>The survey was used as a reason for constructing the ring road around
>Stourbridge.
>It was completed sometime between 1966 and 1968 the time I was serving in
>the Far East so I'm not too sure when the cut was cut off for certain.

So it was tour fault, IMHO the ring road was the worst thing that happened to
Stourbridge as it strangled the town centre making it non too easy to get into.
The town centre was eventually killed off almost completely by the Merry Hill
centre (which is by the canal just to grt back on topic)

Niall

Jan 22, 2003, 5:36:20 PM1/22/03
On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 13:19:19 +0000, Dave Mayall
<da...@research-group.co.uk> wrote:

>Apparently, the mooring rings there should never have been put in and she was
>already sorting out having them removed.
>

>I suggested that if she disliked "dirty smelly boats" so much, she should take
>advantage of the fact that her house has jumped in value from 20 to 100 thousand
>pounds and move.
>
>Once madam had departed, the crew spent a long time persuading me NOT to but all
>my dirty engine rags on the stove.
>
>Some people eh?

We are turning into a country of MIMBYs. They move into new houses and
immediately form groups to try to stop the developer from building the
next phase, while doing their best to bankrupt him over the existing
development.
I know of one instance where a number of householders incurred
expenditure of around 20K each for sewage plants rather than allow a
developer to build houses in the field at the bottom of the road and
provide mains drainage for them as part of the deal.

--
Niall

Niall

Jan 22, 2003, 5:36:21 PM1/22/03
On Tue, 21 Jan 2003 11:12:42 +0000, Martin Ludgate
<edi...@navvies.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>The sad thing is that sometimes BW (or whoever) cave-in to this
>sort of pressure and remove bollards / put in 'no mooring' signs to
>placate the local residents. I can think of several places (on the
>Rochdale, the K&A and the S&W if I remember rightly) where this
>has happened.

Wasn't Nantwich the latest example?

--
Niall

john

Jan 22, 2003, 6:03:27 PM1/22/03

Tim Lewis <bevan...@aol.com> wrote in message

> >Subject: Re: Beware of Stourbridge.
> >From: "john" ny...@tiscali.co.uk
> >Date: 22/01/2003 10:49 GMT Daylight Time
> >

> <Snip>

There was no need for that Tim!
I had the snip permanently back in 85:-)

Bob Adams

Jan 22, 2003, 5:38:46 PM1/22/03
In message <3e2efaee...@news.uk.worldonline.com>, Adrian Stott
<ba...@enable.telinco.com> writes

>But it looks like it was copiously filled in and then filled over, to make it
>into a car park for a car dealership or something, so I guess it is gone
>longterm.

Nah, car dealerships are here today - gone tomorrow!

By the way old chap, nice to see you back in here again. I was getting a
bit worried about you as the barge was not in its usual Hertford mooring
after you announced that the house was up for sale and the last I saw of
it, it was moored a bit precariously amongst the trees by the fork. I
haven't walked along the Lee this year yet so you might be back - or
have moved elsewhere?

Martin Ludgate

Jan 22, 2003, 6:56:30 PM1/22/03
In article <7xQvPn1wkJkK8E...@4ax.com>, Niall
<nia...@btinternet.com> writes
Now you come to mention it - yes, I think it was another recent
example of the same thing.
--
Martin Ludgate

Anthony Matheson

Jan 22, 2003, 7:18:59 PM1/22/03
In article <BA51E8B8.1305B%ro...@timbuktu.u-net.com>, roger@timbuktu.u-
net.com says...

> I was in Stourbridge the other day and it brought back a memory of a boating
> incident I shall never want to repeat.
<SNIP>

Good story! Of course, I'm already a bit wary of Stourbridge, having been
born and brought up there.
--
Anthony Matheson
http://www.amath.co.uk

martin

Jan 22, 2003, 7:22:36 PM1/22/03
Neil Arlidge wrote...

>Jonathan Stafford wrote:
>> Im having visions of a news group weekend rally right outside her
>> back door, just to get her really fired up!! Any takers? :)
>> Jonathan
>
>Me and Commander Chapman will endeavour to park there in July.

In fact. boaters are recommended to moor beyond the bridge, near Tesco,
on a Friday or Saturday night, rather than near these houses because of
noise from people coming out of nearby night-clubs!

Neil Arlidge

Jan 22, 2003, 8:14:47 PM1/22/03
martin wrote:
> Neil Arlidge wrote...
>> Jonathan Stafford wrote:
>>> Im having visions of a news group weekend rally right outside her
>>> back door, just to get her really fired up!! Any takers? :)
>>> Jonathan
>>
>> Me and Commander Chapman will endeavour to park there in July.
>
> In fact. boaters are recommended to moor beyond the bridge, near
> Tesco, on a Friday or Saturday night, rather than near these houses
> because of noise from people coming out of nearby night-clubs!

Hopefully you will be there to give us a guided tour ;-)

Dave Mayall

Jan 23, 2003, 3:08:34 AM1/23/03
On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 00:22:36 +0000, martin
<newsg...@penninewaterways.co.uk> wrote:

>Neil Arlidge wrote...
>>Jonathan Stafford wrote:
>>> Im having visions of a news group weekend rally right outside her
>>> back door, just to get her really fired up!! Any takers? :)
>>> Jonathan
>>
>>Me and Commander Chapman will endeavour to park there in July.
>
>In fact. boaters are recommended to moor beyond the bridge, near Tesco,
>on a Friday or Saturday night, rather than near these houses because of
>noise from people coming out of nearby night-clubs!

The noise isn't *that* bad :-)

--
Dave Mayall

martin

Jan 23, 2003, 2:02:47 PM1/23/03
Neil Arlidge wrote...

>martin wrote:
>> Neil Arlidge wrote...
>>>
>>> Me and Commander Chapman will endeavour to park there in July.
>>
>> In fact. boaters are recommended to moor beyond the bridge, near
>> Tesco, on a Friday or Saturday night, rather than near these houses
>> because of noise from people coming out of nearby night-clubs!
>
>Hopefully you will be there to give us a guided tour ;-)

If it's a nice day when TNC arrives at Marsden, I'll take you to see the
location of the "local shop"!

martin

Jan 23, 2003, 2:04:36 PM1/23/03
Dave Mayall wrote...
No, the noise isn't the worst of it - it's when drunken revellers start
clambering on the boat roof or casting you adrift at 1.00 am......

martin

Jan 23, 2003, 2:19:32 PM1/23/03
martin wrote...

Oh, and - of course - watch out for the flying fish fingers!

Andrew Denny

Jan 23, 2003, 5:09:38 PM1/23/03
> We moored just above lock 6W, to be treated to a tirade of abuse from the
> resident of one of the terraced houses, demanding to know why we couldn't "park" somewhere else!

Do you mean to say you did absolutely nothing but moor up, and she
gave you a hard time and got irate just for that, without you even
adding anything into the conversational mix?

I love it when someone landside gets irate with something I've done
and has a go at me. Gives me a chance to interact with them and
actually speak to them, and the effect always clears the air. It's
the ones who stay grumpy but turn their backs and won't speak to you
who are hardest.

Oh, and the anglers.

Tony Clayton

Jan 23, 2003, 5:52:43 PM1/23/03
The basin at the end of the Stourbridge Arm was stanked off
when I went there by canoe in 1973, as related in

http://www.tclayton.demon.co.uk/bcn2.html

The basin was visible through the bridge - I recorded
it in my log as still being there but very derelict.

As I recall, the piling under the road bridge had been put in
only a few months before.

--
Tony Clayton tony.cla...@pem.cam.ac.uk or to...@tclayton.demon.co.uk
Coins of the UK : http://www.tclayton.demon.co.uk/coins.html

Tim Lewis

Jan 23, 2003, 7:06:54 PM1/23/03
>Subject: Re: "Do you have to park here"
>From: Martin Ludgate edi...@navvies.demon.co.uk
>Date: 23/01/2003 12:56 GMT Daylight Time

Was this not at Bath?

Neil Arlidge

Jan 23, 2003, 8:09:35 PM1/23/03
martin wrote:
> Neil Arlidge wrote...
>> martin wrote:
>>> Neil Arlidge wrote...

>>> In fact. boaters are recommended to moor beyond the bridge, near
>>> Tesco, on a Friday or Saturday night, rather than near these houses
>>> because of noise from people coming out of nearby night-clubs!
>>
>> Hopefully you will be there to give us a guided tour ;-)
>>
> If it's a nice day when TNC arrives at Marsden, I'll take you to see
> the location of the "local shop"!

........will they welcome the*No Tails*?

I trust you can bus us up to Royston Vaisey (Hayfield) for some *special
stuff*

Neil Arlidge

Jan 23, 2003, 8:32:13 PM1/23/03

Shirley boats chain themselves to the rings?

Gibbo

Jan 23, 2003, 8:50:31 PM1/23/03
"Neil Arlidge" wrote:

>I trust you can bus us up to Royston Vaisey (Hayfield) for some *special
>stuff*

Hadfield*

Gibbo

Dave Mayall

Jan 24, 2003, 3:51:53 AM1/24/03
On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 19:04:36 +0000, martin
<newsg...@penninewaterways.co.uk> wrote:

>Dave Mayall wrote...
>>On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 00:22:36 +0000, martin
>><newsg...@penninewaterways.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>>Neil Arlidge wrote...

>>>In fact. boaters are recommended to moor beyond the bridge, near Tesco,
>>>on a Friday or Saturday night, rather than near these houses because of
>>>noise from people coming out of nearby night-clubs!
>>
>>The noise isn't *that* bad :-)
>>
>No, the noise isn't the worst of it - it's when drunken revellers start
>clambering on the boat roof or casting you adrift at 1.00 am......

That's why we moored on the side away from Tesco. It isn't really on
the way to or from anywhere.

--
Dave Mayall

Dave Mayall

Jan 24, 2003, 3:51:56 AM1/24/03
On 23 Jan 2003 14:09:38 -0800, d...@grannybuttons.com (Andrew Denny)
wrote:

>> We moored just above lock 6W, to be treated to a tirade of abuse from the
>> resident of one of the terraced houses, demanding to know why we couldn't "park" somewhere else!
>
>Do you mean to say you did absolutely nothing but moor up, and she
>gave you a hard time and got irate just for that, without you even
>adding anything into the conversational mix?

Yes.

>I love it when someone landside gets irate with something I've done
>and has a go at me. Gives me a chance to interact with them and
>actually speak to them, and the effect always clears the air. It's
>the ones who stay grumpy but turn their backs and won't speak to you
>who are hardest.

She wasn't interested in a conversation. She just wanted us gone.

--
Dave Mayall

martin

Jan 24, 2003, 4:29:05 AM1/24/03
Neil Arlidge wrote...
>martin wrote:
>> Neil Arlidge wrote...

>>> Hopefully you will be there to give us a guided tour ;-)
>>>
>> If it's a nice day when TNC arrives at Marsden, I'll take you to see
>> the location of the "local shop"!
>
>........will they welcome the*No Tails*?
>
>I trust you can bus us up to Royston Vaisey (Hayfield) for some *special
>stuff*

That would be Hadfield. But you'll never leave.

martin

Jan 24, 2003, 4:31:34 AM1/24/03
Dave Mayall wrote...
What she needs is a nice afternoon out on a boat to appreciate what she
has on her back doorstep.

Andy B

Jan 24, 2003, 12:16:01 PM1/24/03
> >Shirley boats chain themselves to the rings?
>
> Shirley Pankhursts chain themselves to rings?

Shirley you can't be serious !

John Bennett

Jan 24, 2003, 6:44:55 AM1/24/03
On Fri, 24 Jan 2003 Tim Lewis <bevan...@aol.com> wrote:
>>Subject: Re: "Do you have to park here"
>>From: Martin Ludgate edi...@navvies.demon.co.uk
>>In article <7xQvPn1wkJkK8E...@4ax.com>, Niall

>><nia...@btinternet.com> writes

>>>Wasn't Nantwich the latest example?
>>>
>>Now you come to mention it - yes, I think it was another recent
>>example of the same thing.
>

>Was this not at Bath?

I recall a couple of years ago that mooring was banned and rings removed
along a stretch at Ansty (N. Oxford) following pressure by local
residents.

Cheers John
--
John Bennett nb "Jake B"
Somerset UK S. Oxford Canal

Adrian Stott

Jan 24, 2003, 5:03:23 PM1/24/03

>By the way old chap, nice to see you back in here again. I was getting a
>bit worried about you as the barge was not in its usual Hertford mooring
>after you announced that the house was up for sale and the last I saw of
>it, it was moored a bit precariously amongst the trees by the fork. I
>haven't walked along the Lee this year yet so you might be back - or
>have moved elsewhere?

You may think that. I couldn't possibly comment.

Adrian

Bob Adams

Jan 24, 2003, 5:58:48 PM1/24/03
In message <3e31b7c9...@news.uk.worldonline.com>, Adrian Stott
<ba...@enable.telinco.com> writes

Bugger. Time for a walk along the Lee again then.

Bob Adams

Jan 24, 2003, 6:02:13 PM1/24/03
In message <Ym2HMaD2...@auluk.freeserve.co.uk>, martin
<newsg...@penninewaterways.co.uk> writes

>>She wasn't interested in a conversation. She just wanted us gone.
>>
>What she needs is a nice afternoon out on a boat to appreciate what she
>has on her back doorstep.

Then a dunking at the winding hole followed by a quick getaway.

martin

Jan 24, 2003, 6:58:38 PM1/24/03
Bob Adams wrote...

>In message <Ym2HMaD2...@auluk.freeserve.co.uk>, martin
><newsg...@penninewaterways.co.uk> writes
>>>She wasn't interested in a conversation. She just wanted us gone.
>>>
>>What she needs is a nice afternoon out on a boat to appreciate what
>>she has on her back doorstep.
>
>Then a dunking at the winding hole followed by a quick getaway.

To see if she'll float?

Bob Adams

Jan 24, 2003, 7:23:25 PM1/24/03
In message <IrwTvXDuMdM+Ewy$@auluk.freeserve.co.uk>, martin
<newsg...@penninewaterways.co.uk> writes

>Bob Adams wrote...
>>In message <Ym2HMaD2...@auluk.freeserve.co.uk>, martin
>><newsg...@penninewaterways.co.uk> writes
>>>>
>>>What she needs is a nice afternoon out on a boat to appreciate what
>>>she has on her back doorstep.
>>
>>Then a dunking at the winding hole followed by a quick getaway.
>>
>To see if she'll float?

Only from a distance.

Weekend_Gardener.

Jan 25, 2003, 4:17:01 AM1/25/03

"Dave Mayall" <da...@research-group.co.uk> wrote in message
> Went for a little cruise at the weekend. Only to Stalybridge and back.

> We moored just above lock 6W, to be treated to a tirade of abuse from the
> resident of one of the terraced houses, demanding to know why we couldn't
"park"
> somewhere else!
>
> Would we like it if "Dirty smelly boats" parked outside our house?
>
> She proceeded to tell us that "These houses were here before the canal"
> (I think not, although the canal was infilled for a while, and they had
the
> dubious pleasures of a dirty smelly factory outside the back door)
>
> Apparently, the mooring rings there should never have been put in and she
was
> already sorting out having them removed.
>
> I suggested that if she disliked "dirty smelly boats" so much, she should
take
> advantage of the fact that her house has jumped in value from 20 to 100
thousand
> pounds and move.
>
> Once madam had departed, the crew spent a long time persuading me NOT to
but all
> my dirty engine rags on the stove.
>
> Some people eh?

As someone who has the pleasure of walking out of my back gate onto a canal
towpath, I can appreciate both sides of this discussion. My house backs onto
a canal and I walk along a section of towpath several times a day with my
dogs and am fed up with the rubbish that *some* boat owners leave along the
path and dump into the canal. We have had dirty clothes, dirty bedding,
burnt pots and pans, broken machinery, bottles and small drums of filthy oil
and domestic refuse scattered along the way, and guess who cleans it up, not
the boat users but the residents!

I am also annoyed with *some* users partying late into the night and having
their music on the path so it's blaring out into the night, using the
towpath for barbeques and then scattering the ashes over the grass verges
which I mow and keep tidy....and of course the irresponsible ones who use
the piece of grass outside my back gate for hammering their stakes into and
causing an obstruction to walkers, or tying up to my fence. Some enjoy
throwing bottles and cans at the ducks, swans and moorhens and of course we
love having to call the RSPCA out to rescue a bird that has it's head badly
cut because a boat user liked hitting it with the boat hook!.

I don't have a large garden, just 20' long and I sleep in the back of my
house so can hear the noise every weekend and most nights during the good
weather, would you as *static resident* like this? I don't think so.

For the most part, this annoyance is caused by holiday makers who hire a
narrowboat for a couple of days/weeks but not all I assure you. ( The boat
hook incident wasn't and neither was the dumping of the pots pans, bedding
clothes, dirty oil and a metal beer barrel which I managed to get out of the
water)

Yes, my property has increased in value but not because of being on the
canal banks, but because of the work I have put into it over time. I love
seeing the boats chugging away past my house and being able to share a few
greetings and eventually I hope to buy one but until users of the waterways
realize that for some of us who live in brick houses 24/7/52, there will be
upset between residents and boat users if noise and rubbish is a problem.
Off me soap box and happy chugging.
Weekend Gardener

martin

Jan 25, 2003, 8:36:23 AM1/25/03
Weekend_Gardener. wrote...

>As someone who has the pleasure of walking out of my back gate onto a canal
>towpath, I can appreciate both sides of this discussion. My house backs onto
>a canal and I walk along a section of towpath several times a day with my
>dogs and am fed up with the rubbish that *some* boat owners leave along the
>path and dump into the canal. We have had dirty clothes, dirty bedding,
>burnt pots and pans, broken machinery, bottles and small drums of filthy oil
>and domestic refuse scattered along the way, and guess who cleans it up, not
>the boat users but the residents!
>
> I am also annoyed with *some* users partying late into the night and having
>their music on the path so it's blaring out into the night, using the
>towpath for barbeques and then scattering the ashes over the grass verges
>which I mow and keep tidy....and of course the irresponsible ones who use
>the piece of grass outside my back gate for hammering their stakes into and
>causing an obstruction to walkers, or tying up to my fence. Some enjoy
>throwing bottles and cans at the ducks, swans and moorhens and of course we
>love having to call the RSPCA out to rescue a bird that has it's head badly
>cut because a boat user liked hitting it with the boat hook!.
>
>I don't have a large garden, just 20' long and I sleep in the back of my
>house so can hear the noise every weekend and most nights during the good
>weather, would you as *static resident* like this? I don't think so.

I am horrified to read this and you have my every sympathy for the
annoyance caused to you by (I hope) a minority of users of the canal.
Unfortunately, in society in general, there are those who will throw
rubbish from their car windows, throw chip wrappers and beer cans over
garden hedges on their way home or drive in their cars to lay-bys where
they will eject bin bags of rubbish or even old fridges. I suppose we
would be fooling ourselves to think that people on boats are much
different from people in general, so there are going to be some who show
a lack of concern for the environment and a lack of consideration for
other people. Not everyone is "like us".

I'm not excusing it - I think it's appalling. There is no excuse for
leaving rubbish in the canal or on the towpath. There is no excuse for
making noise close to houses. You have every right to be angry about
your experiences.

The lady in the house in Stalybridge cannot have as many real things to
complain about as you do. The towpath behind her house is narrow and
certainly not suitable for barbecues or parties. She will get more noise
from people leaving the nearby nightclubs and more litter from local
people walking past. There is a 2 metre high brick wall alongside the
towpath so there is no loss of privacy and she would only be able to see
the roofs of any boats moored there from her upstairs windows.

>Yes, my property has increased in value but not because of being on the
>canal banks, but because of the work I have put into it over time.

I presume the canal was there and working when you moved in. The lady in
Stalybridge has seen the area behind her house change from a gruesome
factory to a waterway with trees and bushes planted opposite the houses.
Judging from the price one of the neighbouring houses was for sale at
last year, I would guess the value of the houses would have nearly
doubled as a result of the canal opening.

martin

Jan 25, 2003, 11:53:44 AM1/25/03
martin wrote...

>On Fri, 24 Jan 2003 23:58:38 +0000, martin
><newsg...@penninewaterways.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Bob Adams wrote...
>>>In message <Ym2HMaD2...@auluk.freeserve.co.uk>, martin
>>><newsg...@penninewaterways.co.uk> writes

>>>Then a dunking at the winding hole followed by a quick getaway.
>>>
>>To see if she'll float?
>
>to see if she is a real witch

or a white weather one?

Weekend_Gardener.

Jan 25, 2003, 2:13:20 PM1/25/03

> On Sat, 25 Jan 2003 09:17:01 -0000, "Weekend_Gardener."
> <weekend_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> >As someone who has the pleasure of walking out of my back gate onto a
canal
> >towpath, I can appreciate both sides of this discussion. My house backs
onto
> >a canal and I walk along a section of towpath several times a day with my
> >dogs and am fed up with the rubbish that *some* boat owners leave along
the
> >path and dump into the canal. We have had dirty clothes, dirty bedding,
> >burnt pots and pans, broken machinery, bottles and small drums of filthy
oil
> >and domestic refuse scattered along the way, and guess who cleans it up,
not
> >the boat users but the residents!
>
> and in exchange you provide free dog crap? :-)
No way. Call the dog warden in Worcester and ask which person has a box of
doggie bags delivered to her door so she can hand them out to the
responsible dog owners and also thrusts them into the hands of the not so
responsibel only they are full then.. with their diggy pooh...... ( they
don't like in the words of Cpl Jones)

> > I am also annoyed with *some* users partying late into the night and
having
> >their music on the path so it's blaring out into the night, using the
> >towpath for barbeques and then scattering the ashes over the grass verges
> >which I mow and keep tidy....and of course the irresponsible ones who use
> >the piece of grass outside my back gate for hammering their stakes into
and
> >causing an obstruction to walkers, or tying up to my fence. Some enjoy
> >throwing bottles and cans at the ducks, swans and moorhens and of course
we
> >love having to call the RSPCA out to rescue a bird that has it's head
badly
> >cut because a boat user liked hitting it with the boat hook!.
> >
> >I don't have a large garden, just 20' long and I sleep in the back of my
> >house so can hear the noise every weekend and most nights during the good
> >weather, would you as *static resident* like this? I don't think so.
>
> have you thought of tipping some sand into the canal thus making it
> too shallow to moor? :-)

Now that is a good idea. anyone know a local sand pit around Viking Afloat
Worcester....

> >For the most part, this annoyance is caused by holiday makers who hire a
> >narrowboat for a couple of days/weeks but not all I assure you. ( The
boat
> >hook incident wasn't and neither was the dumping of the pots pans,
bedding
> >clothes, dirty oil and a metal beer barrel which I managed to get out of
the
> >water)
>

> but no supermarket trolleys?

Too mean to let the £1.00 go.......

> >Yes, my property has increased in value but not because of being on the
> >canal banks, but because of the work I have put into it over time. I love
> >seeing the boats chugging away past my house and being able to share a
few
> >greetings and eventually I hope to buy one but until users of the
waterways
> >realize that for some of us who live in brick houses 24/7/52, there will
be
> >upset between residents and boat users if noise and rubbish is a problem.
> >Off me soap box and happy chugging.
> >Weekend Gardener
>

> have a nice one!
>
> :-)

:0)

Weekend_Gardener.

Jan 25, 2003, 2:22:00 PM1/25/03

"martin" <newsg...@penninewaterways.co.uk> wrote in message

Living on the banks of the Worcs Staffs canal, I have seen pictures of not
that long ago when this section was just a glorified mud hole.....thank
goodness sense prevailed and something was done about keeping this piece of
history alive and working........
Yes we have nuisences from some boaters but on the whole they are a decent
bunch and exchanging the odd bit of banter makes life enjoyable....it's the
idiots who have no regard for others that are the pain in the rear....
Should anyone come down from The Cavalier towards the Railway Bridge coming
into Worcester look out for the garden with a Springer Spaniel and Black
Labrador patrolling, give us a wave and we will always wave and a bark back
!

Regards Weekend Gardener

.

Dave Mayall

Jan 27, 2003, 3:57:55 AM1/27/03
<weekend_...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>As someone who has the pleasure of walking out of my back gate onto a canal
>towpath, I can appreciate both sides of this discussion. My house backs onto
>a canal and I walk along a section of towpath several times a day with my
>dogs and am fed up with the rubbish that *some* boat owners leave along the
>path and dump into the canal. We have had dirty clothes, dirty bedding,
>burnt pots and pans, broken machinery, bottles and small drums of filthy oil
>and domestic refuse scattered along the way, and guess who cleans it up, not
>the boat users but the residents!

The particular section of towpath is paved with rings. I've never seen
any of the above on this bit of towpath.

> I am also annoyed with *some* users partying late into the night and having
>their music on the path so it's blaring out into the night

Not us! She accosted us at 4pm as soon as we tied up. We were in bed
for 11pm. Our boat was actually between her garden and the nightclub
on the other bank!!

>, using the
>towpath for barbeques and then scattering the ashes over the grass verges
>which I mow and keep tidy....and of course the irresponsible ones who use
>the piece of grass outside my back gate for hammering their stakes into and
>causing an obstruction to walkers, or tying up to my fence.

Not activities that would be possible on this bit of towpath.

> Some enjoy
>throwing bottles and cans at the ducks, swans and moorhens and of course we
>love having to call the RSPCA out to rescue a bird that has it's head badly
>cut because a boat user liked hitting it with the boat hook!.

Morons!

>Yes, my property has increased in value but not because of being on the
>canal banks, but because of the work I have put into it over time.

In this case, her house has increased many times over as a sole result
of the canal coming!

> I love
>seeing the boats chugging away past my house and being able to share a few
>greetings and eventually I hope to buy one but until users of the waterways
>realize that for some of us who live in brick houses 24/7/52, there will be
>upset between residents and boat users if noise and rubbish is a problem.
>Off me soap box and happy chugging.

We aren't problem neighbours, but if we are tarred with a brush
then...

Whilst she was moaning, one of the crew was off buying smokeless fuel,
rather than burning coal. I probably won't bother next time.

--
Dave Mayall

Weekend_Gardener.

Jan 27, 2003, 10:34:01 AM1/27/03

"Dave Mayall" <david....@ukonline.co.uk> wrote in message

You sound like a *perfect guest* so you are more then welcome to tie up at
the bottom of garden! Just don't object to the clanging of me neighbours
umpteen dozen wind chimes rattling in the breeze LOL..
Regards Weekend Gardener

Weekend_Gardener.

Jan 27, 2003, 10:42:31 AM1/27/03

"J L Williams" <j.l.wi...@zetnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> The message <b0uo59$tjqcc$1...@ID-89168.news.dfncis.de>
> from "Weekend_Gardener." <weekend_...@hotmail.com> contains these
words:

> > Living on the banks of the Worcs Staffs canal, I have seen pictures of
not
> > that long ago when this section was just a glorified mud hole.....thank
> > goodness sense prevailed and something was done about keeping this piece
of
> > history alive and working........
> > Yes we have nuisences from some boaters but on the whole they are a
decent
> > bunch and exchanging the odd bit of banter makes life enjoyable....it's
the
> > idiots who have no regard for others that are the pain in the rear....
> > Should anyone come down from The Cavalier towards the Railway Bridge
coming
> > into Worcester look out for the garden with a Springer Spaniel and Black
> > Labrador patrolling, give us a wave and we will always wave and a bark
back
> > !
>
> /Unlurkio
> We have hired from Viking Afloat at Worcester twice, our second being
> last year. We thoroughly enjoyed both holidays and are the kind of
> hirers that will pick up others mess rather than leave the the place
> untidy. We have also had the nuisance of meeting those hirers you
> mention. Usually filled to the roof with youngsters and beer/lager cans.
> Unfortunately many businesses would be unable to make a living without
> them...........
> Like you we cringe, unlike you we can move away........
> I hope the noise/litter ratio doesn't get to great.
> Cheers
> Jim
> Lurkio/

We have our second holiday booked with Viking for September and like you
have enjoyed the one we've already had ( it's really nice being able to walk
to the basin, take over the boat, tie up a few hundred yards away and load
the boat up before chugging along) We see hoodlums who race back from their
hols, churning up the banks with their as they are late returning and
emptying their rubbish into the canal. Many a time we see boxes of frozen
fish fingers or beefburgers floating past the house!

This year we intend trying the Avon Ring and hope that 2 of us *wrinklies*
will be able to manage it without too much hassle at the locks. any tips
which is the easier way to go, Up to Tardibigge at the start or down at the
finish. we don't want to be exhausted on the return of our hols LOL...

Thanks,
Weekend Gardener

martin

Jan 27, 2003, 11:29:46 AM1/27/03
Dave Mayall wrote...

>She accosted us at 4pm as soon as we tied up. We were in bed
>for 11pm. Our boat was actually between her garden and the nightclub
>on the other bank!!
>
>Whilst she was moaning, one of the crew was off buying smokeless fuel,
>rather than burning coal. I probably won't bother next time.

Apparently, this lady is well known to the staff of HCS (and BW). She
has been moaning since the canal opened and has tried to get the path
closed off during festivals.

martin

Jan 27, 2003, 11:26:32 AM1/27/03
Weekend_Gardener. wrote...

>We have our second holiday booked with Viking for September and like you
>have enjoyed the one we've already had ( it's really nice being able to walk
>to the basin, take over the boat, tie up a few hundred yards away and load
>the boat up before chugging along) We see hoodlums who race back from their
>hols, churning up the banks with their as they are late returning and
>emptying their rubbish into the canal. Many a time we see boxes of frozen
>fish fingers or beefburgers floating past the house!

It might be worth making a note of the boats' names when you see this,
then giving Viking (or whoever) a phone call about it. The hirers might
get a bit of earache when they return. It would be even better if hire
companies could be persuaded to blacklist people who abuse the canals.

Dave Mayall

Jan 27, 2003, 3:43:03 PM1/27/03
On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 16:26:32 +0000, martin
<newsg...@penninewaterways.co.uk> wrote:

>It might be worth making a note of the boats' names when you see this,
>then giving Viking (or whoever) a phone call about it. The hirers might
>get a bit of earache when they return. It would be even better if hire
>companies could be persuaded to blacklist people who abuse the canals.

Having once encountered a day boat crew behaving like hooligans, I did
just that (Macclesfield Canal Centre) and they did take action.

--
Dave Mayall

Neil Arlidge

Jan 27, 2003, 6:22:25 PM1/27/03

In all my years navigating, I have found day boats the worse for bad
behaviour and littering........especially beer cans.

http://www.tuesdaynightclub.co.uk/T00_Imag/00.23.7/Ka3_1.jpg
Day boat racing from Saltford..........they left a trail of beer cans and
nearly sunk some dingies.

Jeremy Nunns

Jan 28, 2003, 5:44:46 AM1/28/03
In article <b14evi$v8bbm$1...@ID-27576.news.dfncis.de>, Neil Arlidge
<ne...@tuesdaynightclub.co.uk> writes

>Dave Mayall wrote:
>> On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 16:26:32 +0000, martin
>> <newsg...@penninewaterways.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Having once encountered a day boat crew behaving like hooligans, I did
>> just that (Macclesfield Canal Centre) and they did take action.
>
>In all my years navigating, I have found day boats the worse for bad
>behaviour and littering........especially beer cans.
>
>http://www.tuesdaynightclub.co.uk/T00_Imag/00.23.7/Ka3_1.jpg
>Day boat racing from Saltford..........they left a trail of beer cans and
>nearly sunk some dingies.

The trouble is, such a reputation makes us people who like to think
of ourselves as responsible boaters have a problem when we hire a
day-boat - as I sometimes like to do when I'm in a new part of the
country and wish to explore the waterways and have some time afloat.

I have noticed that (generally), the attitude of many boaters is OK
towards Private boats, a bit off-hand with hire boats and downright
snooty towards day boats.

Jeremy Nunns
Cambridge
--

Jeremy Nunns
Technical Director

s...@navvy.freeserve.co.uk

Feb 7, 2003, 8:51:47 AM2/7/03
This sort of thing is happening all over the canal system. I bet BW put up a
notice soon to say no mooring. Please send info to NABO if you see these
signs. BW seem to take more notice of the residents than they do the users
of the canal.
The upgraded car park at Aldermaston has a notice "No overnight parking" to
please the residents in the close, so it's no use to boaters or fishermen.
"dave hill" <da...@davemh.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> Dave Mayall <da...@research-group.co.uk> wrote

> >Went for a little cruise at the weekend. Only to Stalybridge and back.
> >
> >We moored just above lock 6W, to be treated to a tirade of abuse from the
> >resident of one of the terraced houses, demanding to know why we
> >couldn't "park"
> >somewhere else!
> >
> >Would we like it if "Dirty smelly boats" parked outside our house?
> >
> >She proceeded to tell us that "These houses were here before the canal"
> >(I think not, although the canal was infilled for a while, and they had
the
> >dubious pleasures of a dirty smelly factory outside the back door)
> >
> You cant please some people.
> So she would like it if it was still filled in and just a stagnant
> ditch ,

> >Apparently, the mooring rings there should never have been put in and she
was
> >already sorting out having them removed.
> >
> Well the rings are there for a purpose to whit to tie up the boat while
> waiting to get through a lock or stay moored ; maybe she was worried
> that you were going to moor there for a long time.

> >I suggested that if she disliked "dirty smelly boats" so much, she should
take
> >advantage of the fact that her house has jumped in value from 20 to 100
> >thousand
> >pounds and move.
> >
> Get her with the new concept windfall tax on improved transport links
> that will shut her up while suffering apoplectic fits. Something that is
> being
> mentioned with reference to rail links in London

> >Once madam had departed, the crew spent a long time persuading me
> >NOT to but all
> >my dirty engine rags on the stove.
> >
> Good cooking better than the local fishie or curry house.
> >Some people eh?
>
> --
> dave hill

Alan

Feb 7, 2003, 10:36:00 AM2/7/03
Please don't call me Shirley

MatSav

Feb 7, 2003, 2:59:02 PM2/7/03
<s...@navvy.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

> The upgraded car park at Aldermaston has a notice "No overnight
parking" to
> please the residents in the close, so it's no use to boaters or
fishermen.

I wonder if the signs have any legal basis? Is the car park subject to
Byelaws, or an off-street parking schedule?

--
MatSav

Jim

Feb 7, 2003, 3:40:07 PM2/7/03
is your good ship called lollipop?
jim

> On Fri, 7 Feb 2003 15:36:00 -0000, "Alan"
> <alan....@NOSPAMsteeles.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >Please don't call me Shirley
>
> Apologies to Ms. Temple

Bob Adams

Feb 8, 2003, 4:49:21 PM2/8/03
In message <b23q6j$1kd$1...@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk>, Jim
<j...@nospamriley200.freeserve.co.uk> writes

Here is a perfect example of why you shouldn't top post kiddies. Need I
say more?

Jim

Feb 8, 2003, 2:00:58 PM2/8/03

> On Sat, 8 Feb 2003 21:49:21 +0000, Bob Adams <ams...@ntlworld.com>
> wrote:
>
> >In message <b23q6j$1kd$1...@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk>, Jim
> ><j...@nospamriley200.freeserve.co.uk> writes
> >>is your good ship called lollipop?
> >>jim
> >>"martin" <mar...@wanadoo.nl> wrote in message

> >Here is a perfect example of why you shouldn't top post kiddies. Need I
> >say more?
>
> No, but you almost certainly will.
>
> Are you the lollipop person?

thanks for advice on etiket, am learning, until then suck it and see
Jim